• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun owners irate over having names published online

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061217/NEWS01/612170348/1018/NEWS02

Handgun owners irate over having names published online
By JORGE FITZ-GIBBON
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: December 17, 2006)

Dozens of readers have taken issue with The Journal News over its decision to run a list of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties as part of a wider investigative article.

The names of more than 30,000 licensed handgun owners were posted online as part of "Falling Through the Cracks," the paper's Dec. 10 report that found that thousands of registered handguns were unaccounted for because there is no system to secure the weapons of permit holders who die. The articles can be found by clicking the "Gun Control" icon at www.lohud.com.

Some readers, particularly those on the list of licensed pistol owners, suggested that the newspaper erred in publishing the names. They said it may target their homes for theft, although the paper did not publish their home addresses.

The New York State Rifle and Pistol Association reacted by posting what it thought were home addresses and telephone numbers of newspaper staff members. The list inadvertently included addresses of people not associated with the newspaper or the articles.

The association pulled that list from its Web site on Friday.

Some pistol owners remain irate at the newspaper.

"I just question the judgment," said Rockland pistol permit holder Rich Himes. "As far as I'm concerned, I've done everything legally. I've been fingerprinted and everything's on record. And I understand Freedom of Information. But maybe because we can publish information, maybe it's not always a good idea."

The lists were obtained by the newspaper through Freedom of Information Law requests. State pistol permits are public records, as are the names and home addresses of all permit holders. The Journal News chose to withhold the street addresses. Instead, only the names and municipalities where the permit holders live were published.

"The Constitution gives people the right to own guns in this country, and it also gives people the right to know whether they own a gun or not," said Henry Freeman, editor and vice president/news at The Journal News. "This is a public record. People have a right to know that.

"We did take it into consideration and did not publish your street address, which is also public information."

Reach Jorge Fitz-Gibbon at jfitzgib@lohud.com or 914-694-5016.
Another reason why registration and 'licensing' is a horrendous affront to gun ownership. I like the idea that I can choose whether or not I want someone to know I have a gun (or guns). Perhaps, at some point, this kind of story could be used to turn back the clock on registering and licensing. (Not in my lifetime, I'm guessing.)

TEX1N

imported post

"The Constitution gives people the right to own guns in this country, and it also gives people the right to know whether they own a gun or not," said Henry Freeman, editor and vice president/news at The Journal News. "This is a public record. People have a right to know that.
That is like saying that you have a right to practice the religion of your choice, but the public has a right to know what religion it is and how you practice it! It is a totally absurd argument. Would Freeman be willing to print a list of his paper's confidential sources, because "people have a right to know that." I doubt it!

I feel for you CA guys, I really do. In VA we have been having some of the same problem with papers printing the names of CHP holders. The Free Lance-Star in Fredericks did it again on Sunday:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/122006/12172006/241852

Thankfully we don't have gun registration, but it is still just crazy.

Basic Guy

imported post

"The Constitution... ...also gives people the right to know whether they own a gun or not,"

Just where in Hell does this thought-challenged dipstick get this idea? The Constitution gives people a right to know somebody else has a gun?

Just where does he find anything written in the US Constitution that can be twisted in any way to mean this without the massive application of strong hallucinogens?

Once again, the anti-gun faction has preserved their record for fact-deficient blather.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I sent my response to the "Star" on the publishing of the License Holder's names. Unspeakable... I don't have words for it. VCDL has to bring this up in this year's VA General Assembly.

CaptainCharles

imported post

I was on the most recent list from the Free-Lance Star......I knew about the trend of listing names of permit holders, but I got a free subscription when we moved in, which I subsequently renewed. Once my name was released, I called and cancelled my subscription, and told them exactly why...

I understand FOIA etc. But if people want to see who has CHP, who deeded property, and who got divorced in each county, let them pursue that information through the Circuit Court Clerks office....

There is no good reason why a paper is listing this information, other than harrassment.....

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

+1 CaptainCharles. One part of this puzzle are those that have been threatened in the past. The person moves, receives their license and the prospect of anonymity goes out the door by publishing this info. I know that this is the Open Carry forum, but many of us do have a CHP, so we are affected as a community (I prefer "family").

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

VCDL has to bring this up in this year's VA General Assembly.

Here's what Florida did...
(4) HB-687 Public Records Exemption of CCW License Holders Information
A bill to protect the privacy rights of concealed weapons and firearms license holders Passed the Florida Legislature 5/2/06
HB-687 Sponsored by Representative Sandy Adams (R-Orlando) in the House and Senator Mike Haridopolis (R-Melbourne) in the Senate does the following:

1. Exempts the personal identifying information (names, addresses, birth dates, social security numbers, phone numbers, & license numbers) contained in records maintained by the Division of Licensing of DOACS of individuals who have applied for or received licenses to carry concealed weapons or firearms.
2. Makes the data available to law enforcement for law enforcement purposes.
3. Stops harassment of license holders by the media. Protects license holders from identity theft, stalkers, domestic violence abusers and thieves.

In the past the media have posted names, addresses, birth dates, and other personal identifying information on websites and have printed them in newspapers. Such reckless conduct subjects license holders to possible identity theft, theft of firearms by criminals and tells domestic violence abusers and stalkers where to find victims who have moved to hide themselves and their children from these predators.
The bill passed the House 83-27 and passed the Senate 37-2. Signed into law by Governor Bush on 6/7/06.
Here's the link from NRA

CaptainCharles

imported post

I posted comments on the FLS article, I also called to cancel my subscription. I spoke to Sue Baker, the Customer Service Manager. When I gave her my reason, she loudly exclaimed "I wish you would write a letter to the editor!", "I see no reason why they do this!" So at face value, it appears that Ms. Baker agrees with me.

She gave me her email address and told me she would personally deliver it to the editor, and she would resond to me with the name of whom she delivered the letter to.

If you live within the FLS circulation area I implore you to write a letter to the editor and ask Ms. Baker to forward it along....
Ms. Baker's email is sbaker@freelancestar.com

I canceled my scrip, if you have one, do the same. You can get everything for free at Fredericksburg.com anyway..

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

But don't forget folks - allowing permit holder name and MAILING address to remain public serves the pro-gun community well as direct mail campaigns can help overcome the collective action problem we have.

DeadCenter

imported post

Mike - I agree with you. But, having it in the paper is wrong. If pro groups want this info they know how and where to get it. This just gives the criminal mind a target as in my house :banghead:........ Help me if I am wrong here. But listing the names and addresses of the holder might set of a string of burglaries. Criminals looking for easy access to weapons. Call me paranoid, But, just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching. I'm upset :cuss:at the thought that my town or any town may, will, or does do this.

DeadCenter

mercutio545

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
Help me if I am wrong here. But listing the names and addresses of the holder might set of a string of burglaries. Criminals looking for easy access to weapons.
If I was a criminal and I knew that a house belonged to a gun owner, I would stay as far away from that house as possible :D.

And most responsible gun owners keep them locked up anyways (I keep my long guns locked in a cabinet with individual locks on them), so it would be difficult to steal them.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

After no fewer than six attempts to register I gave up.

I'm contacting my Fredericksburg friends to urge them to give up subscriptions.

DeadCenter

imported post

mercutio545- Wrote:
And most responsible gun owners keep them locked up anyways (I keep my long guns locked in a cabinet with individual locks on them), so it would be difficult to steal them.
I keep mine locked up as well.

I stillfeel very strongly that granted carry permit information should not be in any news paper. It can stay on file at the court house where it belongs.

DeadCenter

CaptainCharles

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
DeadCenter wrote:
Help me if I am wrong here. But listing the names and addresses of the holder might set of a string of burglaries. Criminals looking for easy access to weapons.
If I was a criminal and I knew that a house belonged to a gun owner, I would stay as far away from that house as possible :D.

IfI were a criminal I would case the house and break in when you aren't home....

joeroket

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
The New York State Rifle and Pistol Association reacted by posting what it thought were home addresses and telephone numbers of newspaper staff members. The list inadvertently included addresses of people not associated with the newspaper or the articles.

The association pulled that list from its Web site on Friday.
They tried that.

XD Owner

imported post

I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying, but try to find the silver lining.

Here is the silver lining:it warms my heart knowing that over 90 people in just one month in the Fredericksburg area took the training and paid the fees, etc. necesary to get a Virginia CHP. The unorganized militia (Stealth Division) is growing fast!

Maybe this will make some people think, hey, getting a CHP is the responsible thing to do. All these people are doing it...

Many newspapers publish the names andaddresses of real estate buyers, so for us nosy neighbors, it is interesting to see who paid what for which house. So along with buying a house, buy a gun and take the training and get the permit. It just gives you another carry option.

On the other hand, I also agree that too much "public" information is published. That is a different topic though altogether.

Keep up the pressure on this local rag.