• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal or NOT Legal

DeadCenter

imported post

Hey Gang -- I have included aphoto of my dash and my 9MM. I am curious if thislocation in a vehicle is OK by the law and considered "in plain view". I do not have a concealed carry permit (yet). And have no desire to get arrested and lose my guns. I just have a problem laying a loaded 9MM on the dash board (top) in front of me. Seems too big to be up there and will definitely draw attention. I like the cup holder position. What do you think?

Thanks

DeadCenter

Attachments

• cupholder2small2.jpg
    cupholder2small2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 406

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think between the 2 I would go with the cupholder option. Is the holster secured to the console? It would be bad if it popped out and when you needed it it wasn't there. Your other option is to close to your hands and might not be good when dealing with the police.

DeadCenter

imported post

Longwatch - You believe the instrument panel option is bad and too close to my hands???? If so, I believe the same thing. The cupholder is pretty secure. I can secure it better in the cup holder if this is the best place for it.

Anybody else have any input?

Thanks

DeadCenter

bayboy42

imported post

DeadCenter:

If your willing to do some drilling there are a few "vehicle mounting" options on the market. Fobus makes a vehicle mount for their roto-holster line (I wouldn't carry a fobus holster but would make for decent in-vehicle use) and there is another company called Sure Set (http://www.sshmi.com/index.html).

If you want ot stay away from permanent modifications, I'd buy one of the cup holder pda/ipod/cell phone mounts and modify it to hold a holster or your choice.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I think both your options are on the good side of grey area concealment in vehicles - in both photos, anyone at or near your car can see that there is a gun there. But if you have a concealed handgun permit accepted in VA, who cares?

Carrying in a hip holster with seatbelt on, like I do, might be viewed as concealed if the belt coverd the gun such that it cannot be seen under common observation.

I hope your cup holder rig allows you to draw one handed while driving :cool:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dead Center - I like the cup holder option.

I have a CCP, so I don't worry in my car. But I think your option #1 is perfect until/unless you get your permit.

Tess

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I say to close to hands because for my own safety I would try to keep my hands in plain sight during a stop and the steering wheel is a good place to keep them.

What you should do is take pictures from outside of your vehicle. We would have a better perspective on how a LEO would see your pistol.

Since you don't have a permit I've been thinking about if you might want to inform a LEO that you have a pistol. It would help prove that you had no intent to conceal your pistol, but I'm conflicted because I don't think you should have to inform in general.

DeadCenter

imported post

I think we agree option 1 (Cup Holder) is best. Let me get a picture from outside the vehicle with the window down. I will post it and we can take it from there. I can put it on the passenger seat. But, not if someone is with me.

Thanks

PackininVB

imported post

I usually just keep mine in the holster on my hip when i drive. How is that concealed? My windows are tinted enough and my car rides high enough that noone will be able to see it until they are standing right next to me. Should i just hold it in my hand with my hand out the window? That could be a form of OC in a car i guess, hell everyone would definately know you had one, youd just have to keep it in the holster as you held it out the window i guess...lol So am i concealing when i keep it on my hip? its a .45USP and does not get covered up by the seatbelt. But it is on my left side...

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't see why that wouldn't be in plain sight. I would think about the security of the weapon if you were ever in an accident or had to make hard evasive manuvers. you might want to consider something like the fobus mount mentioned earlier Home /Vehicle mount for the rotoholster or you could look at something like grassburs. The real advantage to the grassbur system is that you can use the same holster in multiple locations by just bying extra mounts points. The system is very simple and would seem effective. I haven't tried them yet, because the .45 is always on my side.

bayboy42

imported post

I almost suggested the Grassburs but DeadCenter does not yet have a concealed permit. It would take some searching to find a suitable location for one of the Grassbur hoslters that would be in the open.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

on grassburs:
I was thinking a right hand mount, on the side of panel that has the cup holder. It would still keep it fairly close to the cup holder, but it would still be easily visible. The pictures they have show it mounted under the dash, but there is nothing that says it can't be vertically mounted.