• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a CCW permit = public record

CrashVector

imported post

Many people (mostly LEO's) have asked me "Why don't you just get a concealed carry permit?"

Usually, my answer to this question is something along the lines of "Because I don't have to, and because I dont WANT to."

In actuality, the reason is that in order to apply for a concealed carry permit in my state (Louisiana), you have to provide all kinds of information (name, address, etc) and all of that becomes "public record" should you get the permit.

You heard me right...the state keeps a list of everyone with permits, and that list is considered public knowledge...meaning anyone that wanted it has the RIGHT to get a list of all the CCW permit holders in this state...complete with name, address, and other personally identifying information.

Thanks, but no thanks. I will not submit my information to a de facto gun registry, nor do I want just anyone to be able to look up a list and know that I probably have a few firearms in my home. This is a bad idea any way you want to look at it...and is the primary reason why I REFUSE to get a CCW permit in order to carry a defensive firearm.

reefteach

imported post

Yep. Here in ohio some of the newspapers have decided to print that info in the interest of "news". I don't believe it is the only state where this is occuring either.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

You do make a very good point Crash, and registering gun owners maybe a more effective way to disarm folks than registering guns. Not to mention that when you carry with a permit you are exercising a priviledge not a right.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

You heard me right...the state keeps a list of everyone with permits, and that list is considered public knowledge...meaning anyone that wanted it has the RIGHT to get a list of all the CCW permit holders in this state...complete with name, address, and other personally identifying information.

Try and get that list. See if it is as easy as you think. Most likely not, but if it is, then you should use that to raise a stink over privacy concerns.

By the way, your phone company has more info on you than any local government ever will.

LoveMyCountry

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

FOIA allows citizens alot of access to public records, which CHPs are of course. The best way to stop publishing would be if our side can prove damage to people from printing such lists and suing the publishers. However there is a grey area here where transparency in government and our privacy rights meet. OTOH, it would be interesting to see if the CHP folks are being damaged (robbed/harassed), if they aren't or if they are victimized at a lower rate than the general population or permit holders whose names were not published it might go to proving an argument for open carry. That criminals do not attack where the armed citizens are.

CrashVector

imported post

Easy or not easy to get...I dont really care either way. It is still accessible to the general public.

The whole theory of criminals staying away from where they know guns are would work in a perfect world where no one ever leaves their house to go to work in the morning.

I don't need to pay a fee to carry a gun, so I don't. I can protect myself for free as long as I am willing to wear an exposed handgun.

psmartin

imported post

CrashVector wrote:
Easy or not easy to get...I dont really care either way. It is still accessible to the general public.

The whole theory of criminals staying away from where they know guns are would work in a perfect world where no one ever leaves their house to go to work in the morning.

I don't need to pay a fee to carry a gun, so I don't. I can protect myself for free as long as I am willing to wear an exposed handgun.
I view it as an inexpensive insurance policy, even if you opencarry at all times.

The lawmay be on your side, but it's the officers on the street that you have to deal with, and they may not see it your way. A CHP isn't a "get out of jail free" card by any means, but it's going to go a LONG ways in your favor when there is a questionable situation.

This is not to be construed as LEO-bashing, there are good cops and there are bad cops, I just know I would NEVER choose law enforcement as a profession because of the stuff they deal with on a daily basis... Hence, they may look at the "guy with a gun" in a less favorable light than one with a CHP. (while not the "official word", I have been told this by several Henrico officers that we hire for offduty work)

gunrights

imported post

Yes it's unfortunate that because you hold a license to carry your records are public. I don't see newspapers publishing lists of everyone that has a driver's license. But many newspapers do publish the list of people who have a license to carry.

Approximately 5 years ago, a newspaper in a neighboring county (Elkhart, Indiana) published a list of 310,000 license holders in the state of Indiana on their web site. Needless to say, some of us were very outraged by the prospect of what we consider our personal information published on that anti-gun newspaper's web site.

Approximately 7 of us decided a letter to the editor was not going to be adequate in this situation. We decided on taking a trip to the newspaper's offices and finding the editor. So we can discuss what he had just done in person.

Just imagine the look on the editors face. When seven, openly carrying gun rights advocates, walked into his office(we were able to walk in, because apparently, his secretary was on a coffee break).

Let's just say he never publish such a list again. But were all very polite and deftly made our point.

The whole problem is though that because states issue these permits and licenses. They are public records. If we were able to truly exercise our constitutional rights. There would be no records to be found.

Only my opinion.

Mark Vanderberg
Host of the Gun Rights Advocates Podcast
http://gunrights.us
468x60-ad.jpg

Tomahawk

imported post

This is yet another great argument for the anti-OC people out there. To get a permit is to trust public officials with one of your most cherished liberties. You are trusting them not to use that knowledge against you in a future gun grab. In addition you are compromising your privacy if the list is public.

I have a permit, but if I were to go back in time knowing what I know now, I would think a little harder before getting it. That said, I do believe the shall-issue permit system can be used as a step toward Alaska/Vermont style carry.

EDIT: Let me add a caveat to my statement: shall-issue is no good if getting it passed means outlawing open carry, or even outlawing it without a permit. If your state has a good open carry situation, DO NOT compromise it away to get shall-issue.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

gunrights wrote:
Approximately 7 of us decided a letter to the editor was not going to be adequate in this situation. We decided on taking a trip to the newspaper's offices and finding the editor. So we can discuss what he had just done in person.

Just imagine the look on the editors face. When seven, openly carrying gun rights advocates, walked into his office(we were able to walk in, because apparently, his secretary was on a coffee break).

Let's just say he never publish such a list again. But were all very polite and deftly made our point.

B000BX0VRI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

LoveMyCountry

swatpro911

imported post

well you lose some and win some. Upon getting a concealed handgun permit you eliminate the threat from LEO's perspective meaning they would have your info up on the screen as "legally armed" before they approach ur vehicle. think twice before they lay your A$$ down for 3 second count.lol

LEO

ProguninTN

imported post

I agree that licenses/permits for carrying arms should not be public record. As public records, they are are "Steal my property" or "Harass me because I take responsibility for my own safety" lists. They should be privatized.

ProguninTN

Tomahawk

imported post

No, they should be eliminated as a requirement. Then there is no privacy issue, period. Alaska carry is the way all states should be headed sooner or later.

swatpro911

imported post

Upon getting a CHP you have right to ask the court clerk upon writing to return the finger print back to you so you could keep it for record. Another copy which is destroyed by the FBI. When carrying open w/o permit you run a risk of concealing it and when u do, you gonna be in big trouble. Sometimes you run a risk of being put to the ground at gun point for officers safety. "So think smart dont be a retard" And always possess good attitude at all times no matter what the situation is. and at the same time you should asset your rights.

ProguninTN

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
No, they should be eliminated as a requirement. Then there is no privacy issue, period. Alaska carry is the way all states should be headed sooner or later.

I completely agree. However, progress is incremental. Until enough support can be gathered for more states to become "unrestricted", we might as well improve the current state of affairs.

ProguninTN

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

CrashVector wrote:
Many people (mostly LEO's) have asked me "Why don't you just get a concealed carry permit?"

Usually, my answer to this question is something along the lines of "Because I don't have to, and because I dont WANT to."
I'd have to tell them, everytime, that it's not my responsibility to make some blissninny soccer mom feel safe and comfortable in the world.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
Upon getting a CHP you have right to ask the court clerk upon writing to return the finger print back to you so you could keep it for record. Another copy which is destroyed by the FBI.
Not true! The FBI does not destroy your fingerprint record - fingerprinting = lifetime biometric registration with the FBI who have abused their power by falsely telling courts that fingerprints matched when they did not - just ask US citizen Branden Mayfield:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Mayfield

molonlabetn

imported post

It is indeed a sad state of affairs when the people are tyrannized by their government through the fear ofretribution, for not complying with every intricacy ofthe regulationsand restrictions (un-constitutionally) placed on their rights.

I have no choice, in TN, to carry open or concealed without a permit... This standard is despicable! I choose to comply with the laws, as written, out of my respect for the order of law, and the due-process required to change it (which I support with zeal).

When the shadow of tyranny finally covers our remaining rights, that will be the time when I will give up peaceful demonstration, and join with others in no-small rebellion to regain them. This was the original purpose for the people's right to keep and bear arms by the framers of this experiment... I don't look forward to this eventuality, but I am resigned and committedto following it through if necessary. In the mean-time, I hope and pray that the efforts of our political lobbying and civil education will be successful, in a peaceable manner.

In terms of records... There islittle about me that the feds don't already know, through various avenues. It would be this way regardless of whether or not I owned firearms, or had a carry-permit; this is a separate issue. I agree that the collection, and especially the entry ofmy information into public-record is truly an intrusion on my privacy whichrequires remedy. It certainly enables a tyrannical government to obtain undue control of my life.

These are all troubling issues... issues which will take more than a short time and little resolveto set right. May itcome to passin my lifetime. Regardless, I am proud to be one of many who hold these beliefs, with resolution to see them through.

molonlabetn

badmonkey

imported post

Here it is. It is West Virginia House Bill 2223. This is the section they are proposing to add to the end. Maybe some of you Virginians could contact your representatives and try to get something like this on the table there.

Notwithstanding the provisions of article one, chapter twenty-nine-b of this code, applications, licenses and reports regarding any person applying for a permit to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to this section may be copied or inspected only by the following:
(1) The applicant or licensee;
(2) The duly qualified conservator or guardian of the applicant or licensee;
(3) The duly qualified executor or administrator of the estate of the applicant or licensee, if deceased, or, in the event no executor or administrator has qualified, the next of kin of the deceased person;
(4) An attorney, attorney-in-fact or other agent or representative acting pursuant to a written power of attorney or other written authorization signed by the applicant or licensee; or
(5) A duly authorized representative of a law-enforcement agency for any purpose or any other agency, instrumentality of federal, state or local government seeking the record in the ordinary course of performing its official duties.

Full text here:
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Text_HTML/2007_SESSIONS/RS/BILLS/hb2223%20intr.htm