• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill to ban carry in Libraries introduced in Virginia!

possumboy

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+sum+SB767

Introduced by Senator Mamie Locke (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+mbr+S67)

Summary as introduced:
Control of firearms; libraries. Provides that localities may adopt an ordinance that prohibits firearms, ammunition, or components or combinations thereof, in libraries that are owned or operated by the locality.

SENATE BILL NO. 767
Offered January 10, 2007
Prefiled December 13, 2006
A BILL to amend and reenact § 15.2-915 of the Code of Virginia, relating to local control of firearms; libraries.

----------
Patron-- Locke
----------
Referred to Committee on Local Government
----------
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That § 15.2-915 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

C. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, in libraries that are owned or operated by the locality.

possumboy

imported post

This is a classic Fabian Strategy move.

If we do not stop it here, it will be parks next, then public places.

Not paranoid, just vigilant.

ballester

imported post

Well is this not crap or what? Shoot I am using thecomputer in my library right now to type this!! Due to the old phonelines in my house I cant get decent internet and satillite is just way to expensive... Why cant these people just get it? The library is the only place for some people to connect with the world and wonderful informal sites like this... and those that carry as I do really dont look to the 70year old grandmother working the desk as a deterent to someone who just woke up not giving a damn this day.... why do these law makers feel they have to fudge everything that people legally do...

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:thats all i got to say bout that...

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mamie is just offering left wing blandishments to the loyal supporters who drink her brand of Kool-Aid. She simply wants them to know she's still on their side. The bill itself is red meat to Virginia's conservatives, and will be dead meat in the General Assembly. I'm not saying we should be complacent, but don't lose sleep over this little stinkbomb. If it even gets out of committee, we should see the debate as another opportunity to educate the masses, now that she has gotten their attention.

possumboy

imported post

I was a littled worried until the:

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I'm not saying we should be complacent...

There is always the hope that we will be complacent or willing to compromise. They may ask just to only allow Concealed Carry next.

Kool-aid? How did you know I was just studying about Jim Jones?