• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got my job outside college...

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Working for an affiliate of Channel 7 in my chosen profession of web design.

And guess what? Channel 7 WJLA doesnt allow open carry or concealed, even in your car, on premisis. all to supposedly protect me from workplace violence. (I might add this place has ZERO security too).

In addition How is this supposed to stop an armed man WHO DOESNT CARE ABOUT LOSING HIS JOB IF HES GONNA KILL US ALL!!! The security door you need a pass to get open? Not likely... he can SHOOT OUT THE PLASTIC. Or shoot the fishbowl windows in and come storming in.

idiots...

I am thinking of conceal carrying a handgun in my briefcase anyway, and will continue to justify my knife as a tool. (as if a gun is not a tool...)

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

On the plus side this is my first full time proffessional job in my field at 35k a year with 20 paid sick and vacation leave with 401k options, health, dental, vision, and 9 holidays. Not too bad for my first dive I guess. I know I could do alot worse!

So on considering concealed carry in a briefcase... Do you knwo of any carry bags tht can hold a rather large laptop? I am in web design ya know so its imperative that the bag is capable of holding a laptop, all the associated bullshit for laptops (a mouse, battery, cord...), papers, a sketchpad, etc.

adamwa

imported post

What stops you (besides rules) from carrying concealed on your person? Or do you just prefer using a briefcase?

vermonter

imported post

Put a Kel Tec P3AT ina pocket holster and don't tell anyone your carrying. I have been carrying on the job like that 4 years and no one ven suspects

PackininVB

imported post

Dont forget that if you carry concealed against the law your CCW is no longer valid. Meaning if someone were to come in and shoot up the place and you draw on them and open fire, you can be liable because you arent allowed to carry at your jobsite. Personally i think you should be allowed, but that probably not what the courts would say. In any sense be careful about it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

PackininVB wrote:
Dont forget that if you carry concealed against the law your CCW is no longer valid. Meaning if someone were to come in and shoot up the place and you draw on them and open fire, you can be liable because you arent allowed to carry at your jobsite. Personally i think you should be allowed, but that probably not what the courts would say. In any sense be careful about it.

I don't quite agree - justified use of force would not be invalidated.

Also, what is the penalty for violating 18.2-308(O) - & what does that section actually mean? Does it mean it's illegal to carry?

Or does it mean that the license does not necessarily privlege the holder to carry on private property held open to the public against the owner's wishes?

PackininVB

imported post

Well i was thinking about the ramifications of carrying concealed in a restaurant pertaining to carrying in the workplace where not allowed, but i guess the restaurant ban is a Law and the workplace ban is just a company rule. But still if your job found out, couldnt they call the police for you breaking one of their rules? I know its just a rule, but you know because its a "firearm" rule, they would probably do something like call the cops. I dunno any ideas as to what might happen if you broke the company rules, and ended up having to draw?

TEX1N

imported post

Mike wrote:
Also, what is the penalty for violating 18.2-308(O) - & what does that section actually mean? Does it mean it's illegal to carry?
Thats a good question. I was always under the impression that you would just be considered a trespasser if you were carrying on private property against the wishes of the owner.

Unfortunately this is one of those gray areas where the courts would have to define the "true meaning" of the law.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't know about the law but, a friend of mine was robbed while at work. The detective that responded told him he should be carrying even though it is not allowed at his job.

TEX1N

imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
I don't know about the law but, a friend of mine was robbed while at work. The detective that responded told him he should be carrying even though it is not allowed at his job.
Yeah, but the problem with that is that it doesn't make it legal just because a cop told you so. Even if it is good advice!

mercutio545

imported post

IANAL, but I'm guessing you would just be fired and perhaps charged with criminal tresspass?

I'm not implying that you SHOULD carry (if something is illegal, I surely wouldn't want to promote it), but you should decide whether or not you're willing to face the consequences. Don't ask don't tell I suppose...

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

adamwa wrote:
What stops you (besides rules) from carrying concealed on your person? Or do you just prefer using a briefcase?
well It is kinda hot in that office with all the computers and I am a rather slim guy so I imagine if i try the whole under shirt and in pants waistline deals it would be way too easy for me to be found out.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

vermonter wrote:
Put a Kel Tec P3AT ina pocket holster and don't tell anyone your carrying. I have been carrying on the job like that 4 years and no one ven suspects
hmmm... perhaps. Is that thing gonna stop anyone though? I suppose its better than a pocket knife like I have now :-/

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
well It is kinda hot in that office with all the computers and I am a rather slim guy so I imagine if i try the whole under shirt and in pants waistline deals it would be way too easy for me to be found out.

Trythe pager pal. I hate them - worst $70 I ever spent - so you can HAVE mine to see if you like it.

Another option is the smart carry (http://www.smartcarry.com/snagfree.htm).

Not advocating either, just providing options.

TEX1N

imported post

Keep in mind that one of the complications of keeping your gun in a briefcase is that you always have to keep the briefcase with you (bathroom, meetings, coffee room, etc). Unless you have a place that you feel is secure enough to leave your briefcase in.