Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry day

Post imported post

There has been talk in the PAFOA forums of an open carry day, I would imagine that members here would also take interest in the event and the discussion. A cross member effort would be great!

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-day.html

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Thanks - I just posted there. Good luck with the meet-up style event - PA folks might want to register on their site for more details.

Post imported post

Plans? I did a quick review of the posts but didn't see much more than a few so-called gun rights supporters trying to discourage each other from rocking the boat (seems like they are afraid to learn to swim). Anyway, keep us posted if any progress is made. I might even attend if something is scheduled in the Susquehanna Valley (midstate)region.

Hey, maybe we could all agree to go to the post office and buy some stamps. This would kill two birds with one stone!

Post imported post

Exactly, a lot of folks don't get it, but a few do. Hopefully they have some meet-ups and send us reports/photos.

Post imported post

A few voiced some concerns, so far there are 11 that have said they wanted to do at least a shoot and would participate in a demonstration which wouldn't be until spring.

I thank all of you for your support, which I know I can count on. Please is you have any experience with a demonstration or say building a good gun awareness booth, well actually any ideas at all that might help an even like this, your ideas would be very much appreciated. I have no doubt this will eventually get enough steam and between the various groups, especially this one, we'll have some sort of legal showing at a major community event.

Post imported post

VCDL.org establishes a booth at many or most gun shows in VA. The folks manning the booth usually open carry, but due to safety considerations at gun shows where rampant gunhandling is going on, the show promoters often require that the guns be unloaded with plastic ties run thru them.

VCDL and sometimes libertarian groups in VA man booths at various public fairs and venues from time to time while open carrying.

But pleaseconsider eliminating the term "open carry demonstration" - this only demonstrates that individuals are not confident enough to open carry as individuals.

Have an OC meet up for lunch, man a both while OCing, go to public meetings while OCing, but noper se "demonstrations" - the term is a sign of weakness and unnecessarily provocative - you lose your political upside and have possible downside.

Post imported post

Thanks for the advise!

Post imported post

Thanks for the tip, I am interested in this. Just joined PAFOA too.

Post imported post

Good to hear it! I'll let you know if it picks up enough steam, if not i'll let you know when our next shoot is. Pretty much everything is on hold until the holiday season has died down.

Post imported post

I'll be there, if anything materializes. I have continued to have great success in OC'ing in the Lancaster/Chester County areas, both in rural and non-rural settings. I have two friends who also oc, and would likely be interested in an oc get together.

Post imported post

I personally am not interested in a "shoot". Heck, in my neck of the woods I can shoot all day if I want to and no one would notice- I don't even have to pay range fees- but I am willing to do what I can to support our rights and don't mind meeting a few other like minded people.

Post imported post

In consideration of other recent posts, perhaps Reading would be a good venue.

Post imported post

I would urge the open carry day activities to not be a mass concentration of open carriers - onesies and twosies and thereesies across, great! - the idea of open carry is that it is legal, normal, and non-threatening.

Massing together is a sign of weakness - kind of like asking permission, it is lioke saying, we are afraid to do this unless we do it in numbers.

Post imported post

I would urge the open carry day activities to not be a mass concentration of open carriers - onesies and twosies and thereesies across, great! - the idea of open carry is that it is legal, normal, and non-threatening.

Massing together is a sign of weakness - kind of like asking permission, it is lioke saying, we are afraid to do this unless we do it in numbers.

I disagree that peaceable assembly is a sign of weakness. It should also be considered legal, normal, and non-threatening. When rights are being infringed upon, there can be strength in numbers. If we do not all hang together (in a well regulated manner), then it will be easier to hang each of us seperately- or in twosies or threesies.

Post imported post

A few of us are planning a legal open carry day
    a legal open carry day? In Pennsylvania (Except Philadelphia) it is lawful to open carry.

Post imported post

ne1 wrote:
    When rights are being infringed upon, there can be strength in numbers. If we do not all hang together (in a well regulated manner), then it will be easier to hang each of us seperately- or in twosies or threesies.
    I disagree - you do not seem to understand the dynamic here - in a jurisdiction where the police may be confused, and the public unaware, you are more likely to both disturb the public, and draw a mass response by police, which will make it much harder for them to back down, and, the press will make it look like you were trying to create a disturbance by massing, and the legislature will be urged to close a loopehole that only crazy people do in packs anyway.

The objective should be a lone parent, walking armed thru a mall or other public venue with her family, or a few foks meeting up for lunch while armed.

Stay away from "packs."

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    ne1 wrote:
    When rights are being infringed upon, there can be strength in numbers. If we do not all hang together (in a well regulated manner), then it will be easier to hang each of us seperately- or in twosies or threesies.
    I disagree - you do not seem to understand the dynamic here - in a jurisdiction where the police may be confused, and the public unaware, you are more likely to both disturb the public, and draw a mass response by police, which will make it much harder for them to back down, and, the press will make it look like you were trying to create a disturbance by massing, and the legislature will be urged to close a loopehole that only crazy people do in packs anyway.

The objective should be a lone parent, walking armed thru a mall or other public venue with her family, or a few foks meeting up for lunch while armed.

Stay away from "packs."
    have to agree with Mike.

Post imported post

In my opinion the misunderstood dynamic is that there is a severe shortage of parents willing to take the risks suggested.Individuals that doall too oftenfind themselves in very weak positions whereby they are forced into plea bargaining to avoid severe penalties, while other so-called supporters lament that they personally have little to contribute to a legal defense fund.The newswill portray the defendentsas eccentric or emotionally disturbed lone wolves. Each individual case lost sets another precedentthat isa step closer to a death by a thousand cuts. OTOH a mass response by a "pack" of police (they are aware of the importance of hanging together) to an event where no law is being broken might be very newsworthy.

If it were so easy for the legislature to repeal constitutional protections thensurely they would have already done so without creating the convoluted web of statutes that we have today.

Post imported post

A word of caution by gathering in "packs" to promote open carry. In todays world of perceived and real threats to our nation, a large group of pistol carrying citizens could be taken in the wrong context all together. large group, lots of guns, this could be seen as an act of terror by todays homeland security standards thus causing more negative impact than positive.

Ihave to agree with the Super Mod. on this along with the others, just look at how other large gatherings of groups are seen by the publics eye or by another group that disagrees with the gathering group. Might be confusing in reading but this way I am not pointing out any particular group's gathering.

This is just my two cents worth.

Post imported post

Good ole 'Homeland Security'

Isn't it great that we have the police and military to protect our freedoms?

Maybe I'll call them next time I see a pack of uniforms gathered ina donut shop.

Post imported post

ne1 wrote:
    If it were so easy for the legislature to repeal constitutional protections thensurely they would have already done so without creating the convoluted web of statutes that we have today.
    Are you from PA? Have you noticed the changes in the legislature recently?

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Are you from PA? Have you noticed the changes in the legislature recently?
    Yes, and our legislators need to be aware that we the people are capable of more changes in the future. The democrats did not win the last election, rather the republicans lost it by not being true to their oaths. Personally, I would be in favor of throwing them all out and replacing them with independent or third party candidates.

Post imported post

ne1 wrote:
    Personally, I would be in favor of throwing them all out and replacing them with independent or third party candidates.
    Lets get started with this RIGHT AWAY!!!

Post imported post

I have to agree with NE1, a well organized, legally permitted, gathering (Demostration) is what is needed today. Then followed up with aCONTINOUS show of support by the Oneies, and Twoies and whateveris.. to keep the the information at the forefront of everyone's mind.

The OFCC held a series of "Open Carry Defense Walks" in 2003 to help get the Ohio CCW laws passed and from everything I have read on these walks, the only problems they had was some minor issues of getting parade permits from one or two of the Anti - Sheriffs/Police Chiefs.

People are so paranoid today because they aren't used to seeing law abiding citizens exercising their "Rights" that when we do, they think we are breaking the law. WE need to have Group gatherings and singles, doubles, 4-6, 6-8 what ever to get their mind trained once again that this is okay.

The one thing that concerns me is... If we don't feel we can Gather (Demostrate) for our "Rights" then are we really committed to the "Cause".

Post imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
    The one thing that concerns me is... If we don't feel we can Gather (Demostrate) for our "Rights" then are we really committed to the "Cause".
    This logic fails me - "comittment" ought to mean the oppositie - that you are willing to OC as a normal person in daily life without the support of a pack.

Beyond this, I am simply positing common sense that if you are OCing in a jurisdiction where OC is not understaood as legal by sheeple and police, then creating a scene is possibly going to create the conditions for legislation or judge made law against OC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast