• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How To OC in Winter?

Sig229

imported post

I just moved to WV (a gold star state) 4 days ago.
Ive been OC'ing a lot b/c it was warm.

Now that its cold out, I have a big winter jacket on. How am I supposed to OC? Im not going to go out in the town with a leg holster. That would be a bit "too much". Afterall, the gun does have to be visible.

I have a lot to take cae of before I go and get my CHL to conceal carry.

Have any ideas?

adamwa

imported post

Duct Tape A Special Holster, I love duct tape.

Really, I just wear long sleeve shirts that keep me warm, sometimes with a little vest over it, and a t-shirt under them, keeps me warm. And I keep my gun open on my belt holster

markand

imported post

Take a look at the 5.11 Tactical clothing line. They have parkas and warm outerwear that has slits up the left and right hand sides (with zippers, I think) so you can wear a very warm coat and zip up the side where your holster is and expose the gun. Check out this page from the 5.11 web site: http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID=511&dept=6

Any store or web site that carries police equipment and clothing is going to have parkas and coats that are similar in this function. Look for coats intended for uniformed officers as they always have to have easy and quick access to their firearms while on patrol.

A plain one with no police insignia would be fine for civilian use in winter. Call or email and ask or find a store where you can check them out to make sure they have the zippered slits on the sides that are needed for open carry.

As an alternative, you might take an existing coat to a seamstress (or whatever the politically-correct, gender neutral term is these days) and see if they can make the appropriate cut and install a zipper (or not). Probably would depend upon the coat's construction. All of this is bit more expensive than duct tape, but you get a more elegant result.

Basic Guy

imported post

Take a look at a military chest holster. These have straps that go over the right shoulder and under the left arm with the holster laying across the left side of the chest. There is another smaller strap that goes from the lower right edge of the holster, around the midsection, and connects to the other strap in back.

One of these will go over a jacket and keep the gun right up front. Not the easiest thing to get into and out of but OK if you are going to be out for any amount of time. It makes the gun accessible while definitely open carry.

Otherwise a military style belt holster - the type which connect to a cartridge belt but hang below it - is good with a shorter jacket. I used to OC a 1911 with one of these year 'round in AZ.

mercutio545

imported post

Well I usually wear a thigh rig to avoid concealing because I wear t-shirts and long jackets (like your predicament), and I haven't had any more problems with that than when I wear my hip holster. I really don't think it would be "too much". People will just think you're too (tacti)cool for school, but they do have some practical uses as previously stated.

unrequited

imported post

I just bought the Blackhawk shoulder holster conversion for my OWB Serpa CQB. It's light, very customizable to get a great fit, and since I walk with my jacket half unzipped anyways, it's a great CC option. Short of a bandolier or shoulder sling, heavy winter coats might be a problem to fully OC heh.