• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tuscaloosa Attacks Preemption

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Section 11-45-1.1

Subject matter of handguns reserved to State Legislature; Power of municipality to adopt certain ordinances; concurrent jurisdiction of municipal courts with district courts.

No incorporated municipality shall have the power to enact any ordinance, rule, or regulation which shall tax, restrict, prevent, or in any way affect the possession or ownership of handguns by the citizens of this state. The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature. This section shall not be construed to limit or restrict the power of a municipality to adopt ordinances which make the violation of a state handgun law a violation of a municipal ordinance to the same extent as other state law violations, or to limit or restrict the power of a municipal court to exercise concurrent jurisdiction with the district court over violations of state handgun laws which may be prosecuted as breaches of a municipal ordinance.

• (Acts 1982, No. 82-442, p. 694, §1; Acts 1994, No. 94-635, p. 1195,
Section 11-80-11

Regulation of gun shows, etc.; authority to bring or settle certain lawsuits reserved to Attorney General.

a) No county or municipal corporation, instrumentality, or political subdivision thereof, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.

• (b)(1) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under law to regulate the discharge of firearms within the limits of the municipality or the authority a county has under law enacted prior to August 1, 2000, to regulate the discharge of firearms within the jurisdiction of the county.
  • (2) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority of the state, a county, or a municipality to assess, enforce, and collect sales taxes, use taxes, and gross receipts taxes in the nature of sales taxes as defined by Section 40-2A-3(8), on the retail sale of firearms and ammunition or to assess, enforce, and collect business licenses from firearms or ammunition manufacturers, trade associations, distributors, or dealers for the privilege of engaging in business.
  • Further, nothing herein shall exempt any business which uses firearms or ammunition in the conduct of its business or any business which leases or sells firearms or ammunition from the provisions of county and municipal planning and zoning laws, as long as the code, ordinance, or regulations are not used to circumvent the intent of subsection (a). [/ist]
    • This section shall not be construed to limit or restrict the power of a municipality to adopt or enforce ordinances which make the violation of a state firearm law a violation of a municipal ordinance to the same extent as other state law violations.
    • (c) The authority to bring or settle any lawsuit in which the state has an exclusive interest or right to recover against any firearm or ammunition manufacturer, trade association, or dealer, and the authority to bring or settle any lawsuit on behalf of any governmental unit created by or pursuant to an act of the Legislature or the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, or any department, agency, or authority thereof, for damages, abatement, injunctive relief, or other equitable relief resulting from or relating to the design, manufacture, marketing, or lawful sale of firearms or ammunition, or both, shall be reserved exclusively to the Attorney General, by and with the consent of the Governor. This section shall not prohibit a county or municipal corporation from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision or local governmental authority.
    (Act 2000-762, § 1.)

Wrascal

imported post

I'm unaware of this, as Tusc isfar awayfrom my part of Bama - Dothan.

I don't like it, but it's no different than my employeer also saying no guns inHIS work place. Boss's can do that, we canshow our disdain by going elsewhere.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Well, I am not sure what you say is true. It does not look like Alabammy law allows for public, municipal bosses to do this.

Georgia's law has a specific exception for regulating employees while at work, but Alabammy's does not appear to have any such exception. If you read the news story, it also looks like the Attorney General has already ruled that the lawbinds the municipalities even in their role as employers.

ProguninTN

imported post

Malum, you are absolutely correct, my friend. Unfortunately, when in AL, I spend my time on the other side of the state. I don't have cause to visit T-town.

ProguninTN

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I live near Tuscaloosa and haven't heard anything new on this issue.....seems that, so far, no-one is fighting it.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
I live near Tuscaloosa and haven't heard anything new on this issue.....seems that, so far, no-one is fighting it.
Charge! [Sound of calvary bugle . . .]

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

The problem is that we can kick and scream about it all we want. Unless someone who is directly affected by it stands up and puts together a fighting force to battle this one, it will go through unchecked.