• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

May have stopped something

occva

imported post

My family and I were traveling Christmas morning to see family. We stopped at a convienence store/gas station for potty and a drink. I purchased drinks while the family was in the rest room. Two guys that were there before I entered were still roaming around. I saw one of them trying to get a look behind the counter. I told the ladies at the counter, she said she was just starting to get nervous. She asked if I was a cop. I told her no, but she is more than welcome to ask me louder. The first guy heard and saw my gun, muttered something in spanish to his buddy and they were gone!

I followed them out the door and took down the tag number and make/model. I returned into the store and gave info to the counter lady. She called the police and made a report.

Getting back onto the highway I notice the same vehicle at the station next door. I stopped and went in while my wife called police on the cell phone. They saw me enter and left in a hurry. Followed them until they went opposite way on the highway. State trooper said they had a cruiser 1 mile down the road and would check it out.

Just got home and had some time to think about it and don't know if I should have followed them into the second store, maybe just the call to the police. They sure looked like a couple of guys trying to take advantage of a slow day.

danbus

imported post

Ehh, I personally wouldn't have followed them, since it would be easy for them to call 911 and say that you were following them on the interstate. Seeing them at another gas station would be easy as coincidence so that's ok.

I feel you did the right thing and I believe I might have a similar situation.

adamwa

imported post

I think you did an excellent job, thanks. I wish someone would do the same if that were my wife working. I don't think you should have made a car pursuit. But, the to stores hell yeah.

occva

imported post

Hey guys,

Justto clear things a bit. I did not give pursuit. When I left the store going back to the highway they were not in view. I did not know were they went. I noticed there car at a station on the way back to the highway. That is when I went into the second store and my wife made the call to the police. The police dispatcher asked us to follow and then transfered us to the state police dispatch when we got close to the highway. My wife told them that they were going in the opposite direction and state dispatch said they had a cruiser a mile down the road and would check it out.

Agree with you that a pursuit is a bad idea.

swatpro911

imported post

From my understanding you already established a good impression on them folks who ever they are. The moment they saw you with gun and a phone calling or takign down tag numbers they automatically thought ur a undercover cops or fed for immigration etc. If you follow them now they hav advantage over u saying ur following them and stalking with a gun. since ur really not a cop. :)