• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL General Assembly Lobby Day, Monday Jan. 15

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

In case anyone didn't know for several years now VCDL has carried out a group lobbying effort at the Virginia General Assembly in Richmond, on the Martin Luther King Monday holiday. This is a very important chance for our voice to be heard by our representatives.

We will meet at 10 AM in the hall to the left of the metal detectors at the main public entrance from capital square. Look for members wearing 'Guns Save Lives' buttons.

I will be going for certain and if anybody wants to carpool let me know, as there is usually a Militia & Police subcommittee meeting late in the day I will probably be making a full day of it.

It is legal to carry at the GA as long as you have a valid concealed handgun permit or recognized permit. In fact it has been a quicker trip through security in the past. Unfortunately, open carry without a permit is not allowed by decree of the GA.

longwatch

imported post

If you have a permit it is legal to carry at the general assembly. The officers there seem to prefer concealed but they really haven't stopped any CHP holders from carrying in either manner. I've carried everytime I've been there, in fact it is the only place I have ever had to show my Va CHP or Fl CWL.

mercutio545

imported post

It's not a federal building though, correct? So if it's a state government facility, wouldn't one be able to carry there without a permit?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

longwatch wrote:
No because the General Assembly has made a rule banning carry without a permit. Of course it doesn't apply to the politicians themselves.
The rule has no criminal penalty and only applies to the General Assembly related buildings - it is simply a rule established by the joint rules committee with questionable legality as it was never affirmed by both houses, as called for by the FOIA.

You just walk up, present your permit, walk thru the metal detectors a beeping, and maybe the guard will wand you looking for knives, and maybe he won't.

You can either concealed carry or open carry. I usuualy do a bit of both.

longwatch

imported post

BC or suit and tie are fine. There are parking garages nearby, just look for the signs.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Please let me know if there is something I can do to help or organize prior.

I start my new job on the 15th. Probably wouldn't be a good thing to ask for the first day off <grin>

longwatch

imported post

Sorry no excuses accepted, it is a holiday and the antis aren't going to take the day off. They will be BUSSING their people there, like they have been for the last 2 years. Are you going to let them show you up? You can't win if you don't play but you can surely lose by not playing this game. What are you doing that is more important than preserving your liberties and our Right to Keep and Bear Arms?

Sorry again for sounding harsh, I'm just not above trying to shame people into going. Anyhow it is important to show up and you will probably have a good time doing it.

possumboy

imported post

I'm planning on being there a few hours with my 4 year old twins. If I can do that, anyone can make it:p.

I figure it is part of the whole "protect the children" concept.

longwatch

imported post

Indeed I was talking about the antis. However I won't complain if you can hitch a ride on their dime, so long as you represent the pro-liberty side well.