• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOVA OCDO Meetup for Jan '07

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The new year is upon us, time to plan the next NOVA meetup. As our meetups have become regular events, just to keep them running smoothly I propose we should enact a few guidelines that have been discussed at the meetings.

1. Someone needs to be the point of contact, and should PM their number to folks so if any changes occur in location or a participant can't find the group they can contact someone.
2. Make sure to ask for separate checks so people on different schedules can leave if they must.
3. Perhaps consider different venues than restaurants. (Picnics, bowling, etc.)
4. Consider if we want to add a little organization to our social, ie have a meeting agenda. (Introductions, what have we done for open carry, where/what to do next time)
5. Instead of selecting a day and time and seeing who is available, how about this, select a weekend and everybody who is interested state the hours they would be available over that weekend. Ideally the time would be the one the most folks could make it too.
6. Anything else we can think of.

As for the meetup, I will be willing to be the point of contact for this month. I would suggest the weekend of the 12th thru the 14th (we can discuss VCDL Lobby day), and that we have it out towards Manassas to make it fair to people out that way. Any suggestions as to where to go or what to do? Any seconds or objections?

VAopencarry

imported post

Hmmm, Something must be up, I don't disagree with any of your suggestions. :D

That weekend works for me. Once I solidify my other plans I'll know more specifically what day and time is best, for me.

longwatch

imported post

Majority rules but some of the regulars have been coming from pretty far west. Might be fair to put a meetup closer to them

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would recommend against friday night (getting up 28 really sucks in rush hour(s)...)

as far as locations (Do not know of the carry status of any of these)

KC's is a good general american joint located just south of old town on 28. They are usually packed at the bar area in the evening (especially with the cold weather keeping people off the deck). They may be able to make room for a group in the dining area as long as reservations are made in advance (please let the organizer of the event be the only one to call)

Red Panda and Topps are the local chinesse buffets both are located on sudley road, one closer to old town and the other closer to 66.

Anthony's (review) is located on 28 just south of centreville (italian and greek). Pretty good food and we could take over a good portion of one of the sections. This is a long standing local restaurant.

Tommy's is located on Mathis ave just off of 28 in manassas near old town. They serve a kinda greek/american mix. Again another local joint

Foster's Grill, Old Town location would support a good size group. Mostly a hamburger joint - but good food.

Tony's is a new york pizza type joint. They have two locations one on Mathis Ave near old town, the other off the 234 bypass near 66

Omeara's is a more upscale pub with really good food in old town. The menu is available online by following provided link.

La Toltca is a place for good mexican food on Sudley road.

Casa Chimayo is a tex/mex americanized joint on sudley road. Food is pretty good, just don't expect authenic mexican.

Then you have the big chains: Ruby Tuesdays, TGI Fridays, Chipotle, Panera, IHOP, Hooters, Red Hot an Blue, Uno's, and Logans.

I'm sure there are places I have left out, but this is getting long. Best thing is to figure out what type of food, then we can wittle down the resaurant list. There are a couple of good local places I left off because they just don't have room for a large group.

sitedzn

imported post

Might want to keep in mind that C&E gun show is in Mechanicsville that weekend. That might keep some folks from the Richmond area from coming (I know I'm going to the show on Saturday).

rabbit994

imported post

I have carried in Tony's before with no problem. Manassas City PD likes to frequent there as well.

AppleBee's and Glory Days in Manassas off liberia are also both places I've carried in without a problem.

Tomahawk

longwatch

imported post

Looks like most people are leaning towards Saturday. Who would be up for Tonys(since it has been tested) at 7pm on the 13th?

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

anyone available on the 20th or a late lunch (1:30-2ish) on the 14th? I've got a day trip to Richmond on the 13th and don't think I will be back in timet. If not, I'll just have to miss another one.:cry:

darrel_h

imported post

For once I think I'm going to be able to make this one. Saturday 1/13, 1900L @ Tony's? Sure. I've never been there so I'll give it a try. See you all then.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Just bumping the thread up. We have 3 so far. Anybody else going to make it?
Not sure yet. It's almost a week away, after all :D

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Well honestly I cant make it if its not near a metro so I am always boned on these things. (no car)