Thread: Questions about NM

Post imported post

I'll be driving through a large chunk of New Mexico (San Diego to CO Springs) and I was wondering what I can expect when open carrying. I will be staying one night in Albuqeurque, and other than that, driving straight through. I've carried throughout Arizona in the past without trouble. Is New Mexico a similar environment?

Post imported post

New Mexico is awesome for us OC people. However, keep in mind that ANY location that sells liquor for ANY reason, including off site comsumption, IE a grocery store, is off limits for any firearms, open or concealed. It is a felony to have a gun in these places.

Other then that, you should be fine!

Have a safe drive

Post imported post

Also understand that in NM your vehicle is legally an extension of your domacile so you can carry either open or concealed while seated in your car. Loaded, unloaded, tucked in a bag on your person - it's all good in NM.

When I'm back in the US Albuquerque is my home base and I usually have a small arsenal in my rental car while I'm there. Not that I'm expecting to take on the A-Team but sometimes I end up with a couple hours to kill so I'll run out to do some shooting when the chance presents itself.

Post imported post

BOM wrote:
    New Mexico is awesome for us OC people. However, keep in mind that ANY location that sells liquor for ANY reason, including off site comsumption, IE a grocery store, is off limits for any firearms, open or concealed. It is a felony to have a gun in these places.

Other then that, you should be fine!

Have a safe drive
    Fortunately the NM Legislature (SB111 sponsored by Stuart Ingle) changed the CCW law in package liquor stores. If they do not dispense liquor (Wal-Mart, grocery stores, 7-11's, etc.) you can now carry concealed....open carry in any liquor establishment is still a 4th degree felony. All you have to do is get a CCW and cover it while in those places...