• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about NM

laylow

imported post

I'll be driving through a large chunk of New Mexico (San Diego to CO Springs) and I was wondering what I can expect when open carrying. I will be staying one night in Albuqeurque, and other than that, driving straight through. I've carried throughout Arizona in the past without trouble. Is New Mexico a similar environment?

BOM

imported post

New Mexico is awesome for us OC people. However, keep in mind that ANY location that sells liquor for ANY reason, including off site comsumption, IE a grocery store, is off limits for any firearms, open or concealed. It is a felony to have a gun in these places.:banghead:

Other then that, you should be fine!

Have a safe drive

Basic Guy

imported post

Also understand that in NM your vehicle is legally an extension of your domacile so you can carry either open or concealed while seated in your car. Loaded, unloaded, tucked in a bag on your person - it's all good in NM.

When I'm back in the US Albuquerque is my home base and I usually have a small arsenal in my rental car while I'm there. Not that I'm expecting to take on the A-Team but sometimes I end up with a couple hours to kill so I'll run out to do some shooting when the chance presents itself.

snoball

imported post

BOM wrote:
New Mexico is awesome for us OC people. However, keep in mind that ANY location that sells liquor for ANY reason, including off site comsumption, IE a grocery store, is off limits for any firearms, open or concealed. It is a felony to have a gun in these places.:banghead:

Other then that, you should be fine!

Have a safe drive
Fortunately the NM Legislature (SB111 sponsored by Stuart Ingle) changed the CCW law in package liquor stores. If they do not dispense liquor (Wal-Mart, grocery stores, 7-11's, etc.) you can now carry concealed....open carry in any liquor establishment is still a 4th degree felony. All you have to do is get a CCW and cover it while in those places...