• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheyenne

laylow

imported post

What can I expect when open carrying in Cheyenne? I will be passing through there sometime in the next two weeks.

Paladin

imported post

Don't carry into a federal building, post office, the local cop shop, or any place that have posted "No Firearms Allowed" signs at the door. As far as I know, the above places listed have signs posted and I haven't seen any "No Firearms Allowed" signs anywhere else. I don't spend much time there but have never had a so much as a question.

Know the law and your rights before deciding to open carry. Be vigilant. You may be the first target of opportunity.

The-Fly

imported post

granted this was in Laramie instead of Cheyenne, but when I oc'd there back in June, I didn't get a second look. Act normal, and people around you will do like wise.

AB

imported post

Being new to Wyoming I have a question for you, I was told by Cheyenne city police that you must carry a weapon unloaded in city limits
But it was OK to carry loaded in plain view in a vehicle.
It doesn’t make sense to me that you can do one and not the other and I don’t see anything in city code prohibiting loaded open carry.

Can you help me shed any light on this?

Thanks,

AB

BenjaminHare

imported post

This information is incorrect. When I moved to Cheyenne in 2006 I called the Sheriff's Department, the Cheyenne PD and the District Attorney's Office. All three of them told me that Open Carry is perfectly legal in Laramie County and that the city of Cheyenne does not have any ordinances against the open carry of loaded firearms.

Since them I've carried openly with no problems whatsoever (Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Perkins, King Soopers, Albertsons, the Plain Hotel, Barnes and Noble, etc.) I even ran into the Sherriff in King Soopers. We nodded at one another and simply went on our way. He never batted an eye at my holstered sidearm.

I think you will find that Cheyenne is a good place to carry openly.

jimwyant

imported post

BenjaminHare wrote:
This information is incorrect. When I moved to Cheyenne in 2006 I called the Sheriff's Department, the Cheyenne PD and the District Attorney's Office. All three of them told me that Open Carry is perfectly legal in Laramie County and that the city of Cheyenne does not have any ordinances against the open carry of loaded firearms..<snip>

Unless I'm mistaken, WY has full state premption regarding firearms laws, so localities can't pass (or at least can't legally enforce) any such ordinances.

AB

imported post

I called the police dept today an confirmed you are correct about OC but it was funny the officer on dutywanted to know why I wanted to carry and suggested that it was just an old law on the books that never got taken off ( I guess voters had nothing to do about it.) and that I would be a target and could get killed and gave me scenarios about how a police officer could perceive me as a bad guy and shoot me.

Mjolnir

imported post

Cheyenne's Sheriff's are more laid back than the Police for the most part and are way less likely to question anybody. However, the PD recieves many more complaints and reports of a "man with a gun" and thus they are required to check em out.

I've been reported to the SO at the Flying J (OC with a 1911 in a Blade Tech belt holster) & he just drove past parked & I waved & he waved back.

Biggest problem in Cheyenne and area is lall the liberals moving there from out of state & thenk they must have things the way they are where they came from & those are the people calling 911 to report the "man with a gun" & forcing the PD to investagate the call.

As long as you are professional with the PD/SO they will be extremly professional with you & you will be on your way most ricky tick.

Hanzerik

imported post

The only placeI have seen a sign for no weapons/guns is at the Mall. You have to read the (very) fine print on the sign as you go through the first set of glass doors. I CC most of the time, so I have not been questioned (yet) about carrying. I doOC when I head out to that little piece of State Trust Land off TerryRanch road to go shooting though.

wayneborngesser

imported post

We're not in WY yet, but the house is up for sale here, we found more than one we like in Newcastle and I'll probably do there what I do here: ignore victim disarmament zone signs unless there's a metal detector involved and continue to CC. Simple. Can't wait to OC on a regular basis though, will NOT miss my IWB for the 1911 and have already received the OWB holsters for the 28, 1911, and the XD 45, man are they more comfortable than the IWB. Got my shotshells for snakes as well. :what:

Hanzerik

imported post

AB wrote:
Is the trust land on Terry Ranch Rd. marked and easy to find ?
Yep, Take 85 south until you come to that port of entry, hang a right onto Terry Ranch road. You will see the radio tower on your right, there is a gate with a State Trust sign right before that, and a gate further up the road about a 1/2 mile also on the right.

Watchman

imported post

Hanzerik wrote:
The only placeI have seen a sign for no weapons/guns is at the Mall. You have to read the (very) fine print on the sign as you go through the first set of glass doors. I CC most of the time, so I have not been questioned (yet) about carrying. I doOC when I head out to that little piece of State Trust Land off TerryRanch road to go shooting though.

I have looked at the doors leading into the mall and I haven't seen anything prohibiting carrying in the mall.

Maybe I missed it, I don't know. Where did you see it at? I would like to go and take a look at it.

AB

imported post

When you walk in the main doors look on the left hand side and you will see a big list of things in which a ban of weapons is included.

Hanzerik

imported post

AB wrote:
When you walk in the main doors look on the left hand side and you will see a big list of things in which a ban of weapons is included.

Yep, I also noticed that the sign is only at the main entrances, not in the entrances to individual stores like Sports Authority. Are the signs enforceable as far as law enforcement goes…I don’t know. It is private property so they could just ask you to leave, or press tresspassing charges if you don't?

But like I said, it’s the only place I have seen with no firearms (Weapons) signs in Cheyenne.

Watchman

imported post

Hanzerik wrote:
AB wrote:
Yep, I also noticed that the sign is only at the main entrances, not in the entrances to individual stores like Sports Authority. Are the signs enforceable as far as law enforcement goes…I don’t know. It is private property so they could just ask you to leave, or press tresspassing charges if you don't?

But like I said, it’s the only place I have seen with no firearms (Weapons) signs in Cheyenne.
Thanks guys. I guess I was looking for the typical gun in the red circle with a line thru it kind of sign. I know the list you are referring to. I've seen it but never really read it. I am also wondering how enforceble it is. if there isn't anything on the door of Sports Authority and I come in the mall from there, then what? Just thinking out loud.

MamaLiberty

imported post

This is the text of a business size card I have printed out to hand to anyone who asks me to leave their store because of my gun. So far I've not had to give one to any place in NE Wyoming. I've never seen any posting here either.

Attention manager: You or an employee have asked me to leave because I carry a firearm. I am happy to comply with your wishes because I respect private property. You should know, however, that I do not patronize any business that expects me to become a helpless victim on their property.

You have lost my business, and I will be sure that others who carry for self defense are aware of your policy. We are not criminals... we WERE customers.