• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus 24/7 pro, feedback?

molonlabetn

imported post

I never had much interest in Taurus handguns afterthedisappointment ofowning an earlyPT145. But, I broke down and decided to give a 24/7 Pro .45ACP that was in the display case at a local range/gun-shop a 'once-over', not expecting to be impressed. The action was surprisingly tight and smooth (by hand), and upon dry-firing (with the consent of the dealer) I was surprised how cleanly the trigger broke, in SA... Just as crisp as my XDs, but lighter (considerable take-up though)! The grip was very comfortable and ergonomic, and I like the fact that it can be carried 'cocked-and-locked' (though I am disappointed that there is no decocker).

Does anyone here have, or know where I can find,reliable info about the long-term durability and reliability of these pistols? It seems to me that if they are as nice as they seem, the PT1911s as well, I probably can't afford to NOT get one of each... They'd make quite a pair of economical carry .45s for various situations! I'd like to know that there are many success storiesof high round-count experiences with these models, before I seriously consider them... The lifetime warranty is comforting though.

There are a few other guns which I intend to add to my collection first, but I feel like my eyes have been opened to new possibilities for down-the-road...

Thoughts/opinions/experiences?

molonlabetn

outatime

imported post

I have a taurus 24/7 pro .40 and it has been good so far.

Icant really compare to anything else as this ismy first handgun.

My only gripe is the slide release. The slide has to be pulled back

as you press the release.

AlabamaGunner

imported post

I own a Taurus 24/7 Pro .40 cal.

I love the gun. I have shot around 200 rounds with ZERO problems! I also own a Dan Wesson 357, S&W 9mm Sigma. I love the safety features on the Taurus and feel very comfortable carrying the gun concealedaround my children. The lifetime transferable warranty is a bonus too.

I am thinking about adding a Taurus Millenium Pro .45 to my collection.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I did a vast amount of research on semi-auto pistols before I bought my current carry revolver in December. The 24/7 trigger didn't suit me so I didn't dig into the research on it, but there seems to be dozens of websites thatdiscusstheproblems with handguns. When I went looking, I just Googled the make and modelI was researching and slogged throughthe Google results page and the websites that came up.

I'm a former Taurus owner. My 1987 PT92's barrel cracked in Oct 06 at the underside of the chamber just ahead of the first under-barrellug, forcing the replacement that resulted in the current carry revolver. Thepistol that suited my criteriawas too much $$, so I settled for a revolver. The best fittingfor my hand was by another company, not Taurus.

I've not experiencedgood customer service from Taurus.There is one customer service rep who is rather short with customers. A complaint message I left was never returned. They did honor the life-time free replacement on the 1987 PT 92 (the under lug was mis-alinged by the crack andirreparably dented the frame guide-slots for the barrel.) When thenew gun was late arriving, I called tofind out what happened. It turns out it satin their receiving area in Miami for almost a week before it was even logged into their repair dept. for initial examination.The nexttime I called they toldme it was being replaced free, but that Miami was out-of-stock and awaitingthe next shipment from Brazil; nobody could tell me when that might be. It arrived in the nick of time for me to sell it and buy my carry revolver for Christmas travel.

If I liked the pistol after researching it, I'd be willing to put up with some attitude and poorcustomer service in exchange for the price. Iwas quite happy with my PT 92. It was too big for regular carry, too big for CCW. But, if your handling was perfect, you would see a9mm hole magically appear in the target exactly where you aimed. And this with fixed sights set at the factory. Tight groups were routine when I did my part.

AlabamaGunner

imported post

Good info.

molonlabetn

Do you know any Allens in Tullahoma? (Allen is their last name)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AlabamaGunner said: "I am thinking about adding a Taurus Millenium Pro .45 to my collection."

Sorry, I didn't catch that statement the first time. You might want to dig in and check out the Millenium Pro before you buy. I have received two verbal reports of problems with that pistol. One to the effect that some part of the polymer frame breaks, cracks, or something. The report was specific; its my memory that is foggy. The second report was less specific, just two comments, from the counter clerk at an authorizedTaurus dealer, that they have had to ship a number of them back. He repeated it when I asked for clarification. Hewas willing to recommend the 24/7.

Tworeports of this nature wouldn't completely stop me from buying a particular firearm. But they would cause me to research thoroughly. I didn't do any research because I also disliked thistrigger.

molonlabetn

imported post

AlabamaGunner wrote:
Good info.

molonlabetn

Do you know any Allens in Tullahoma? (Allen is their last name)

I know of, and have met,several Allen's in this area... But am not well aquainted at all with anyone by that last name.

molonlabetn

Rescue

imported post

Citizen wrote:
AlabamaGunner said: "I am thinking about adding a Taurus Millenium Pro .45 to my collection."

Sorry, I didn't catch that statement the first time. You might want to dig in and check out the Millenium Pro before you buy. I have received two verbal reports of problems with that pistol. One to the effect that some part of the polymer frame breaks, cracks, or something. The report was specific; its my memory that is foggy. The second report was less specific, just two comments, from the counter clerk at an authorizedTaurus dealer, that they have had to ship a number of them back. He repeated it when I asked for clarification. Hewas willing to recommend the 24/7.

Tworeports of this nature wouldn't completely stop me from buying a particular firearm. But they would cause me to research thoroughly. I didn't do any research because I also disliked thistrigger.
Just curious, are you referring to the 2nd generation Millenium? I have the new 3rd generation Millenium pro and I haven't experienced any problems with mine nor have I heard about any. I did hear about those types of problems (not many) with the 2nd generation milleniums but I was under the impression that the problems had been eliminated with the new 3rd generations.