• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with IWB in NC?

OpFlash

imported post

I live in Raleigh, have a CCW permit, and carry daily. I would like to start OCing but right now I only have IWB holsters. Is it necessary for the entire pistol/holster to be exposed to correctly open carry? I don't want to get stuck in some legal no man's land. I'd REALLY hate to loose my CCW permit.

BTW I just registered, awesome site I'm loviing reading about open carrying around here.

SammColt45

imported post

In Virginia it is not necessary for the entire firearm to be visible. I believe that if the firearm is not "hidden from common observation," it is considered to be carried openly, since this is the criterion used to describe the carrying of a "concealed" weapon.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The only real thing you have to worry about is whether or not the firearm is within NC's legal definition of concealed. Since you have a CCW, it's a point of "who cares"?

NCHornet

imported post

I have a holster for you to look at. It is the Bianchi Carry Loc. I saw this at bass pro shops a couple months ago and played with the store display for about 30 min before grabbing one for my Glock 23. It is a full retention holster which I would prefer for open carry, but I also like it for CC as well. The release lever is placed in such a way that hitting it is totally natural with a standard draw. I didn't want anything to slow draw time, two weeks ago I did live fire exercises and was very impressed with the holster, no delay what so ever. I highly recommend this holster to anyone.

OpFlash

imported post

Thanks for the opinions, including the holster suggestion. If I begin OCing in a big way I definitely will seek out a retention holster.

NCHornet

imported post

This holster deserves looking at even with CC carry. It is my primary holster. As long as there is no delay in draw time there are only benefits to this type of holster, at least as I see it.

Take Care

tattedupboy

imported post

Since you have a permit, it really doesn't matter. However, if you did not have the permit, I would suggest OWB all day. If you're going to carry openly it should be COMPLETELY visible, and if you're going to carry concealed, it should be COMPLETELY concealed.

HerbM

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Since you have a permit, it really doesn't matter. However, if you did not have the permit, I would suggest OWB all day. If you're going to carry openly it should be COMPLETELY visible, and if you're going to carry concealed, it should be COMPLETELY concealed.
IWB typically conceal better under many jackets and practically all shirts and sweaters.

So where are the NC open carry laws clearly summarized?

My visits to NC may include considering this option.

HerbM

imported post

HerbM wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
IWB typically conceal better under many jackets and practically all shirts and sweaters.

So where are the NC open carry laws clearly summarized?

My visits to NC may include considering this option.
Found what I think are the rules. Length and maybe local pre-emption seem to be the issues.

So if you visit a restaurant with a concealed license but the restaurant serves alcohol you may carry only OPENLY?

You also cannot carry in a bank in NC?

What about Charlotte or Greenville (in the east)? Are these cities friendly?

Anyone require a firearm to be longer than 6 inches? Even the Glock 30 (small frame .45) is 6 1/2 inches by convservative estimate.

--
Herb

acritical

imported post

Currently, whether you have a permit or not, you cannot carry a firearm either concealed or open in a restaurant that serves alcohol, also you can carry a firearm in a bank in NC as long as it is open. Prepare to be asked to leave since a lot of bank tellers are gun shy.

abrink

imported post

Well since you have your concealed carry permit and VA and NC are open carry states than you can carry however you want. i just couldn't see why you'd lose your concealed carry permit for carrying IWB in plain sight.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

There are a few statements in this thread that I feel I should clarify:

You CANNOT carry (openly or concealed)in any establishment where alcohol is served for consumption. This means bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. Even places like Pizza Hut, with beer on the menu, are off limits. This DOES NOT include places where alcohol is sold in containers, like the grocery store.

You can OPENLY carry in a financial institution, since there is no law that says you can't. However, the law does state that you cannot conceal carry in a financial institution. (I have personally carried openly in multiple banks around here. I've mostly had no issues. Any problems were spawned from ignorance, and they were quickly corrected.)

There is currently only ONE municipality (Chapel Hill) that I know of that restricts the size of openly carried firearms. I believe the minimum is 6 inches total length. Below that and it is considered concealed even if it's on your belt in plain sight.

I've never carried in Charlotte. I've carried in Raleigh, and all over the eastern part of the state (Greenville, Jacksonville, Atlantic Beach, etc.). The only issues I've ever run intowere uninformed or stupidly stubborn people. Neither have been much more than a short nuisance.

There are no NC open carry laws. That is why it is legal. There are only a couple of laws that restrict the possession of firearms in certain areas, and there are laws that make carrying a concealed weapon illegal, unless you have a permit.

Now to the original post. NC law does not require you to be completely concealed with a permit. The permitsimply gives you permission *shudder* to carry concealed if you so choose. Since you have a permit, under normal circumstances you can carry however you want. IWB, OWB, OTOH (on top of head), it doesn't matter.

For those that do not have a permit, IWB holsters are risky. Are they concealed? Well, you can still very easily see that you have a gun, so probably not. Is it VERY easy to accidentally conceal the weapon with the fold of your shirt and such when carrying like that? Very VERY easy. Could an IWB holster be misconstrude as an attempt to conceal? Probably so.

Legality aside, I wouldn't suggest using an IWB holster w/o a permit. As far as I know, though, it's not illegal, either. Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer. :D

grand94jeep

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Now to the original post. NC law does not require you to be completely concealed with a permit. The permitsimply gives you permission *shudder* to carry concealed if you so choose. Since you have a permit, under normal circumstances you can carry however you want. IWB, OWB, OTOH (on top of head), it doesn't matter.

For those that do not have a permit, IWB holsters are risky. Are they concealed? Well, you can still very easily see that you have a gun, so probably not. Is it VERY easy to accidentally conceal the weapon with the fold of your shirt and such when carrying like that? Very VERY easy. Could an IWB holster be misconstrude as an attempt to conceal? Probably so.

Legality aside, I wouldn't suggest using an IWB holster w/o a permit. As far as I know, though, it's not illegal, either. Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer. :D

I emailed my CCW class instructor and asked him if the firearm/holster must be fully exposed. He is a magistrate for our county (Randolph). I'll post his answer when I receive a response. I'm currently waiting for my permit to come back. Until then, if I open carry,I wish to remain legal.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

grand94jeep wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I emailed my CCW class instructor and asked him if the firearm/holster must be fully exposed. He is a magistrate for our county (Randolph). I'll post his answer when I receive a response. I'm currently waiting for my permit to come back. Until then, if I open carry,I wish to remain legal.

I know exactly what your CHP instructor will say, "You need to make sure your firearm is completely visible in order for it to be carry. Besides, why would you OC? All that does is draw attention to you and scare other people. You will be causing a scene and will run the risk of being harrassed by the police. You shouldn't do it..."

Let me know how close his answer comes to this.

edit: BTW, welcome to the forum!

grand94jeep

imported post

Actually, I got a speedy response. here it is copy and pasted....

There is no length standard....just it has to meet the definition of a "handgun".....designed to be held and fired with the use of a single hand.
for carrying in the front or back....doesn't reeally matter, main thing there is "safety"
and for the visibility of the grip only.....the statute says that it can not be concealed to the point whereit cannot be seen. The problem that you will have wearing one like that is if your shirt tail comes out accidently and "covers" the grip, it would be concealed. My reccommendation would be if you are going to carry before you get the CCH permit is to carry it where it is totally visible, with no possibility of obstruiction. Again, if you are carrying it in a holster, you still have to be mindful that when you put on a jacket or something of the like, it can't be "concealed", unless of course you have rec'd you permit.

and as always it is better to be safe than sorry. I would not risk carring it where only the grip is showing because an officer may "view" that as concealed and you would risk being arrested or chargedand the possibility of your CCH permit being revoked before you get it.

hope this helps......if you have any further questions, let me know.

Mike

This guy is very pro gun, and as stated, he is a Magistrate. I'll be belt/paddle holster for my XD very soon.:celebrate

Thanks for the welcome...thanks for a great website.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Time to eat
Crow.jpg

I am glad to hear there is a magistrate out there with an understanding of our rights and a clear and concise way of explaining them.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Boy am I glad his answer basically said the same thing that mine did. I can stand the taste of crow meat :p.