• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC to OC

darrel_h

imported post

I have a quick question and I think I already know the answer, but I just want to be sure. If I am shopping or at McD's or wherever, and I am CCing, say carrying with a side holster with my jacket covering it, and I start getting hot or uncomfortable, can I just take my jacket off and OC (as long as the place allows it)? I have a CHP and all that jazz and I know not to do it if the place has a "no gun" signs posted, so I'm just looking for the clear cut answer on this one.

The reason I ask is that I was shopping just before Christmas in Target at Springfield Mall and I was CCing in a side holster with a heavycoat on. Needless to say I got rather warm and wanted to take the coat off but didn't know if it was alright. I am guessing it would be fine, especially since you basically have to do that if you want to go to a restaraunt that serves alcohol, but you know the motto, better safe than sorry. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance.

Darrel

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Just remember that transitionin to OC in a threatening manner, during an argument, etc. is risky - the VA Supreme Ct. recently held that a man that threw his coat back to expose a flare gun secured in his pants, while making threats to a woman, was criminally brandishing the flare gun, even though he never touched it. I can find the case cite if anyone needs it.

This brings out onelegal advantage to OC - avoids having to transition to OC from CC in the midst of any altercation short of a self-defense situation which could have legal consequences against you.

darrel_h

imported post

i wouldn't have thought anything else. luckily i don't get into any confrontations while i am out (knock on wood). i usually try to avoid most of those types of situations when i'm carrying. i'm one of those that becomes a much nicer person when i'm carrying, especially ocing.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

hlh you might want to consider exposing your weapon before you enter the establishment, just exposing after you are sitting down might be considered illegal. IANAL YMMV

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club...

darrel_h

imported post

hlh wrote:
darrel_h wrote:
great, good to know, and yes, from a 2a standpoint, va is wonderful. so in all the time you've been doing this no one's ever said anything?
I've not had any problems, yet. Today, at lunch, I'll be going to a restaurant and I'll be CC'ing while wearing my coat. When I sit down I'll be removing my coat and putting it over the back ofmy chair. Presto, I'm now OC'ing. I do this all the time, except when the place serves alcohol and I'll remove my jacket at the door and OC from that point on.
longwatch, i believe he only takes his coat off at the table when he's at a non-alcohol serving restaraunt. hence the last line of his post "I do this all the time, except when the place serves alcohol and I'll remove my jacket at the door and OC from that point on."

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Opps my bad. Should have read all the way through. Although, in my defense I have seen folks do that, unconceal after they sit down and not before entering.