Thread: Wichita area

Post imported post

Well, I'm going to start an experiment. According to KS statute, only CC (without permit now) is illegal. Wichita and Topeka IIRC are the only municipalities with no open carry. So, if I'm getting this right... it's legal to OC.

Only thing is, what's the vehicle laws in KS regarding firearms. I haven't been able to find anything specific in KS statutes. I know in Wichita city limits firearms must be cased, but that's about it.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Can you post the preemptive portion of the law?

-Lonnie

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

mitchd wrote:
    Only thing is, what's the vehicle laws in KS regarding firearms. I haven't been able to find anything specific in KS statutes.
    That's becasue KS state law does not ban open carry in vehicles or on foot.

If you have a map of localities with OC bans, we can link to it.

You guys in KS need to push for full preemption.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    mitchd wrote:
    Only thing is, what's the vehicle laws in KS regarding firearms. I haven't been able to find anything specific in KS statutes.
    That's becasue KS state law does not ban open carry in vehicles or on foot.

If you have a map of localities with OC bans, we can link to it.

You guys in KS need to push for full preemption.

That's the real silly thing about Kansas. If you want to find out where OC is illegal, you pretty much have to try to go through every town, city, and county code in which you plan on carrying. I think so far I've gone through town codes for Sedgwick county and OC is acceptable, sans Wichita. I am awaiting a response from the DA to confirm my research.

For some reason right now, I can't find the state statute regarding transport of a firearm. I'll have it later today, though.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

mitchd wrote:
    There may not BE any state law restricting gun carry in vehicles in KS.

Post imported post

I called the Attorney General's office today, and got bounced around a bit. Finally spoke witha Mr. Doug Sexton in the "Concealed Carry Division". There is a Kansas Statute (still don't know the exact number) that states that a person shall not be prosecuted for transporting a firearm unloaded in an enclosed container.

This container can pretty much be anything that completely encloses the firearm; cardboard box, toolbox, gun rug, gun sock, gun case, etc. but does NOT include holsters, for they do not completely enclose the firearm. There is no verbiage in Kansas statute's stating that ammunition must be stored seperate from the firearm.

However, that does not prevent a locality from enacting legislation prohibiting carrying of an unloaded firearm in the same container as ammuntion.

Also, Kansas is open carry, however local government has the option of further regulating whether or not open carry is legal in their jurisdiction. I am in the process right now of compiling a list of townships in the Wichita area where open carry is legal.

As an experiment today, when I drove out the Cheney Resevoir to retrieve my tree stand, I openly carried my empty holster, and two speedloaders. I stopped in three gas stations in the area (QT at 71st and K-15, Kwik Stop at the west end of Goddard, and Phillip's 66 at Andover and Central), one fast food restaurant (Burger King on East Kellogg by Wal-Mart), and one retail store (Sportsman's Warehouse). No one mentioned anything to me, and I didn't even notice anyone giving me a second glance.

As a side note, I got my FFL 03 application in the mail today. Great day

Post imported post

Mitchd,

I seriously doubt anyone cares about an empty holster.

Post imported post

spurrit wrote:

Mitchd,

I seriously doubt anyone cares about an empty holster.
    spurrit, ever post of yours make you sound like a

I recommend to everyone that they