• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

COMPLETE firearms preemption

drur

imported post

COMPLETE Firearms Preemption
For those of you interested in the legal/legislative side of the 2nd Amendment, State Senator Jason Crowell (R-Cape Girardeau) has introduced legislation for complete firearms preemption in Missouri. What this means is municipalities within the state WILL NOT be able to create a local ordinances overriding state firearms laws. We currently have firearms preemption with the exception that municipalities may regulate the open carry of firearms.

This was accomplished by the efforts of myself and gentleman from the Farmington area. If you belong to a local pro-gun organization, we would appreciate you helping us "spread the word". As the bill progresses, I will update this thread. Please contact YOUR state senator and tell them to support SB 217.

http://www.senate.mo.gov/07info/bts_web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=2468

drur

imported post

frank wrote:
Thanks drur this is good news gladto here it.
Thanks Frank!

Now the real work begins. We have to get the pro gun organizations around the state aware so they can encourage their reps and senators to support this VERY important legislation.

Dru

reefteach

imported post

Great Job!!! Here in Ohio we had the backing of 2 GREAT organizations helping us with our preemption. http://www.ohioccw.org and http://www.buckeyefirearms.org . Feel free to contact them for advice on furthering your legislation.

Issues like this require a grassroots effort. MANY phone calls, lettersand emails were made to the appropriate representatives and senators. Citizen action was so strong we accomplished an override of the governor's veto!. People, people, people is the best advice I can give.

Our law does not go into effect until mid March, but many are feeling a great sense of accomplishment and freedom already. Great job and good luck!

(also be ready to have people ready to respond to the negative press this will get..ie. "assault weapon bans lifted""firearms laws eliminated"..etc, etc...)

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It died in committee and never made it anywhere. I don't think it was even introduced lastsession but I may be wrong.

BroadwayXD

imported post

that bill did pass and went into effect on aug 28 of 2007 it is the same bill that allows Missourians to purchase a handgun without a permission slip for the sheriff

http://www.moga.mo.gov/STATUTES/C571.HTM

but this is the catch im no lawyer but it looks to me like they passed preemption for everything but opencarry

"
21.750. 1. The general assembly hereby occupies and preempts the entire field of legislation touching in any way firearms, components, ammunition and supplies to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by any political subdivision of this state. Any existing or future orders, ordinances or regulations in this field are hereby and shall be null and void except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.
2. No county, city, town, village, municipality, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt any order, ordinance or regulation concerning in any way the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permit, registration, taxation other than sales and compensating use taxes or other controls on firearms, components, ammunition, and supplies except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.
3. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit any ordinance of any political subdivision which conforms exactly with any of the provisions of sections 571.010 to 571.070, RSMo, with appropriate penalty provisions, or which regulates the open carrying of firearms readily capable of lethal use or the discharge of firearms within a jurisdiction, provided such ordinance complies with the provisions of section 252.243, RSMo."

all information was obtained through the use of missouri's revised statutes online
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutesearch/