Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun-friendly theaters

Post imported post

I frequent the movies quite often and since OCing, have only gone to one theater which doesn't have any signs posted. That theater is Cinema Cafe in Hampton. Seeing that they serve alcohol for on premises consumption, we law abiding citizens must OC. While OCing there, people hardly notice. If they do, they haven't said anything to me nor has a manager said anything.

Anyone else know of any gun friendly locations?

Post imported post

I have yet to see one. You can still carry in one even though the sign is posted (signs hold no weight, someone has to verbally ask you to leave), but prepare to get kicked out and not have your ticket refunded.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Kingstowne 16 in Fairfax County is not posted.

Only very recently did the AMC cinemas in Alexandria and Fairfax County start posting - I spoke to management - they just shrugged their shoulders and said they were told to post the signs.

The manager at Hoffman AMC said he would hold my gun in his safe while I attended movies.

The manager at Springfield Mall said he did not mind permit holders carrying concealed, but did not know that no permit is required to open carry.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I've carried both open and concealed at the Mt. Vernon Multiplex on US1 in Alexandria. It isn't posted - or wasn't last time I went <grin> - and nothing has ever been said.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    I've carried both open and concealed at the Mt. Vernon Multiplex on US1 in Alexandria. It isn't posted - or wasn't last time I went <grin> - and nothing has ever been said.
    I need to go to the movies with you!

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    I have yet to see one. You can still carry in one even though the sign is posted (signs hold no weight, someone has to verbally ask you to leave), but prepare to get kicked out and not have your ticket refunded.
    Don't they have to refund your money if they kick you out? You paid for a product, and if you are asked to leave before receiving the product for which you have paid (in this case, the complete viewing of the film), aren't they stealing from you?

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    I go there, too. I imagine they are so happy to see a real live customer they don't dare kick you out, that place is often dead even on Friday nights. Which is fine by me, nothing like having the whole theatre to yourself...but they need to fix their lousy sound system.

That theatre, BTW, is not in the best of neighborhoods, and the security guards there (there's always at least one), often OC as well.

I usually CC at the movies, at least until I get to my seat and take off my coat. That includes Hoffman and all the other antis. Hoffman usually has Alexandria cops hanging out in the lobby.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    That theatre, BTW, is not in the best of neighborhoods, and the security guards there (there's always at least one), often OC as well.
    Yeah, I know, but it's only a mile from my house - and I never have to worry about not getting a seat <grin>.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

whats the deal with ocing at harbor view in suffolk, has anyone had any experiences at that establishment, ive never noticed signs and its the only place i ussually go, never oc'd there so i figured id check to see what yall know about it.
    Adams

Quote Originally Posted by danbus View Post
    I frequent the movies quite often and since OCing, have only gone to one theater which doesn't have any signs posted. That theater is Cinema Cafe in Hampton. Seeing that they serve alcohol for on premises consumption, we law abiding citizens must OC. While OCing there, people hardly notice. If they do, they haven't said anything to me nor has a manager said anything.

Anyone else know of any gun friendly locations?

I went to Cinema Cafe last night, there are now fairly large signs on all entrances, no firearms, or other weapons permitted. Sigh. No more movies for me.
    Last edited by nolz; 02-23-2011 at 11:01 AM.

I to have carried at Kingstowne. OC and CC (CC when the weather calls for it and until we are inside).

No problems at all.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Kingstowne 16 in Fairfax County is not posted.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Red Box for me...
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio545 View Post
    What?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 02-23-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Charlottesville / Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by backdraft1009 View Post
    whats the deal with ocing at harbor view in suffolk, has anyone had any experiences at that establishment, ive never noticed signs and its the only place i ussually go, never oc'd there so i figured id check to see what yall know about it.
    Adams
    I've OC'd at Harbor View theatre about a 1/2 dozen times and have had no issues at all. I know for a fact it was seen by the ticket taker but nothing was said.

old thread is old.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    old thread is old.
    Necroposting....
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Necroposting....
    ...and of course many of us are rather fond of the OP. We miss him.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

And then I realized this was an old post.....

I was about to welcome Danbus back!

Where is he?

Has anyone heard from him? Perhaps he could surface sometime to say "hello" at a dinner or other outing? I'd be willing to give him a ride to Surry on 21 JUN if he was interested in going. I'll even throw in lunch!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Since this thread has been revived and its a topic of interest to me, and an evolving one, I'm going to share my updates.

Cinema Arts in Fairfax, Virginia has never complained about Open Carry, nor are they posted.

Rave Cinema at Fairfax Corner 14 has not been posted since the switch to the new brand (new management too?).

They employ armed security as well.

I've yet to get around to OCing there, but I posted a thread about it:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...tures-(cinemas)

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Necroposting....
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    old thread is old.
    I thought the same thing but have been guilty of necroposting in the past. After all if you ask the same question in a new thread everyone b1tches about use the search feature!!!

BTW the search feature sucks in the new forum. (Just my opinion)

ETA: The last I saw Danbus (don't know him, just met) he showed up at a OC dinner at the Golden Coral in Chesapeake. Maybe if we schedule another one he will come? Field of dreams like?
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 02-25-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Agreed...

The search feature does suck, you should be able to return POSTS, not just threads. Searching for something and then having to manually read 128 pages to find one reference is hardly efficient.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but it irks my nerves that you can't watch a movie and protect yourself in Hampton Roads.

And, I'm not buying that signs carry no weight thing, I feel like that is ASKING for trouble, as a gun owner/carrier, I feel like pushing the limits isn't intelligent.

Likewise, it's illegal to consume alcohol while carrying, so I won't even do a wine tasting at the grocery store, are the three thimbles of wine going to impair me, absolutely not? Am I following the law to the letter, absolutely. No difference in my mind. That sign to me says "You are not welcome here" so why push it?

Just because the law says you can't drink and carry a weapon doesn't mean you physically can't, but that isn't the point.

If you see a sign that says "BEWARE OF DOG" do you assume there is no dog to beware?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post

BTW the search feature sucks in the new forum. (Just my opinion)
    +1000...John!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolz View Post
    The search feature does suck, you should be able to return POSTS, not just threads. Searching for something and then having to manually read 128 pages to find one reference is hardly efficient.
    +2000...Oh John!

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    I thought the same thing but have been guilty of necroposting in the past. After all if you ask the same question in a new thread everyone b1tches about use the search feature!!!
    I don't really care if someone revives an old thread to add something to it, but rather was just reminding everyone of the thread's age so they wouldn't expect any replies back from earlier posters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast