• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missouri Senator Introduces Complete Firearms Preemption

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum33/1199.html

http://www.senate.mo.gov/07info/pdf-bill/intro/SB217.pdf

http://www.moga.state.mo.us/

It's high time that we start contacting legislators.

Actions by Missouri residents:

Contact your Legislators and the Legislative leadership. Contact Senator Crowell and thank him for his introduction of this bill

Actions by non-Missouri residents:

Contact the legislative leadership and Senator Crowell and thank him for introducing the bill. Advise them that this bill will allow everyone to know what the law is (state law) and that you'll visit Missouri more in the future due to this. One thing Legislators do listen to is dollar signs, money, and tourists.

-Lonnie

drur

imported post

More information on this legislation can be seen in the Missouri forum section under "COMPLETE Firearms Preemption".

This legislation is a baby of mine that myself and another individual from the Farmington Missouri area have been working on for several months. Lots of time and effort went into the introduction so please contact your state senator and encourage them to vote for this very important bill!

Dru C Reeves
Cape Girardeau MO

44Brent

imported post

I exchanged e-mails with the sponsor of the bill. The nature of his response suggests to me that few people have contacted their legislators to show support for the bill. Residents, ifyou haven't contacted your legislator, do it now. Non-residents, if you haven't contacted the sponsor, do it now.

[line]

To: {redacted}
Cc: "'Bev Scheulen'" <bev.scheulen@senate.mo.gov>,
"'S Keeney'" <mskeeney@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Out-of-District: Thank you for sponsoring SB 217
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 00:03:46 -0600

Your welcome. Thank you for the email and support. Jason

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 11:55 AM
To: 27jc323r@senate.mo.gov
Subject: Out-of-District: Thank you for sponsoring SB 217

Name: {redacted}
Zipcode: {redacted}

Thank you for sponsoring SB 217. As a non-resident of MO, I prefer to travel only in states that have complete pre-emption of firearm laws so that I do not have to worry about unknowingly violating some obscure municipal ordinance.​

357SigFan

imported post

I'd like to hoot a few e-mails out, but I don't really know what to say... Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Apparently, the people I have to contact are: (edit: Is this right?)

Governor Matt Blunt
Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder
Secretary of State Robin Carnahan
State Auditor Susan Montee
State Treasurer Sarah Steelman
Attorney General Jay Nixon

drur

imported post

357SigFan wrote:
I'd like to hoot a few e-mails out, but I don't really know what to say... Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Apparently, the congresscritters I have to contact are:

Senator Scott Rupp
Representative Vicki Schneider
Congressman Todd Akin

Your statewide elected officials are:

Governor Matt Blunt
Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder
Secretary of State Robin Carnahan
State Auditor Susan Montee
State Treasurer Sarah Steelman
Attorney General Jay Nixon

Your US Senators are:
Senator Christopher 'Kit' Bond
Senator Claire McCaskill"
This is a STATE issue so please DO NOT contact any of your federally elected officials.

As far as the wording, let me craft something and I will post it this evening.

drur

imported post

Sample letter:

Honorable (insert state rep/senator name here)

As a law abiding gun owner and citizen of the state of Missouri, I want to encourage you to support Senator Jason Crowell's (R-Cape Girardeau) SB 217 allowing full state preemption of all firearms laws. Without this legislation, our citizens are subjected to a myriad of local ordinances governing firearms. In addition, most local ordinances are written such that a person legally defending themselves or those around them could be subject to prosecution for discharging a firearm.

SB 217 will correct these injustices and make Missouri a leader in the fight to affirm our God given right to self defense.

Sincerely

Joe Snuffy
Cape Girardeau MO

357SigFan

imported post

Thanks. I edited my list of those to contact up above. Did I get it right?

drur wrote:
Sample letter:

Honorable (insert state rep/senator name here)

As a law abiding gun owner and citizen of the state of Missouri, I want to encourage you to support Senator Jason Crowell's (R-Cape Girardeau) SB 217 allowing full state preemption of all firearms laws. Without this legislation, our citizens are subjected to a myriad of local ordinances governing firearms. In addition, most local ordinances are written such that a person legally defending themselves or those around them could be subject to prosecution for discharging a firearm.

SB 217 will correct these injustices and make Missouri a leader in the fight to affirm our God given right to self defense.

Sincerely

Joe Snuffy
Cape Girardeau MO

drur

imported post

Go to this address:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/

Click on Legislator Lookup. You will need your full zip code (zip+4) which can be found at http://www.usps.com. Click on "Find Zip Code".

This is a list of the committee members responsible for getting this bill to the floor of the Senate:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/07info/comm/JUDI.htm

The bill has to get voted on in the Senate committee to which it was assigned. In this case, the Judiciary and Civil and Criminal Jurisprudence Committee. When it gets out of committee it goes to the full Senate to be debated and voted upon. The bill then has to be hashed out with the House of Reps, voted upon and sent to the Governor's desk for signature.

As you can see, there is a lot involved with getting a bill passed into law.