• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amundsen Annual Town Hall Meeting

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Anyone up for this????
I will host my Annual Town Meeting with Senator Toddy Puller on Saturday, January 13th from 10:30am - 12:00pm at Sherwood Regional Library. We will discuss our legislative agendas as well as the various issues before the 2007 session of the General Assembly.

I'm planning to OC if I go.

By the way, she's hosting a press conference on Monday, 0930, on behalf of Virginians Against Handgun Violence (though their web site hasn't been updated in a long long time).

Tomahawk

imported post

I will try to be there, Tess, if my weekend plans fall through (bad weather is anticipated). This is not far from my home. Although I don't know what it will accomplish, other than rattling some liberal cages, which alone may make it worth the trip.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Del Jim Scott (another anti) will also be having meetings on Sat with Sen Howell and Del Callahan in McLean at 10 and with Sen Whipple in Falls Church at 1 pm. On his survey this year, under Crime, he put this question.

1. Localities should be allowed to ban weapons in public buildings.

He also introduced the following bills:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+sum+HB2998
Taking gun rights away from those who have had parental rights terminated.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+sum+HB3000
Enacting the Lautenberg Act in Virginia Code and allowing prosecution under both.

longwatch

imported post

Saw this on the GA schedule
01/15/07
9:45 a.m. Press Conference - Senator Jeannemarie Devolites Davis; Senate Room 1, Patrick Henry Building
Topic: Virginians Against Handgun Violence

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks, Longwatch. My bad. I had read this earlier and mistakenly allocated the time to Del Amundson.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I will try to be there, Tess, if my weekend plans fall through (bad weather is anticipated). This is not far from my home. Although I don't know what it will accomplish, other than rattling some liberal cages, which alone may make it worth the trip.
I figure if I don't tell them my thoughts, they'll think they're representing me, when they're representing in fact much of which I oppose vehemently.

Of course, I believe these two represent themselves, and not necessarily their constituents. :banghead:

I'm almost hoping they'll ask me and my .40 to leave; I'll have made my point without having to stay for the whole thing <grin>. Well, okay, I'll stay.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here are some good questions to ask at the townhall meetings if you can address a known anti-. They come from "The Liberty Poll" at Bloomfield Press' website. The link to the entire poll follows. Choose from a number of very good questions.

When did you last read the state and federal Constitutions?

As a candidate for a state or federal office, can you think of any ways to improve enforcement of the 10th Amendment (the states and the people retain powers not delegated to the federal government)?

With regard to law enforcement, are you in favor of police being allowed to use deadly force when absolutely necessary to protect innocent lives from criminal attack? Do you believe that people, even people with no training of any kind, have less right to defend themselves than the authorities do?

http://www.gunlaws.com/the%20liberty%20poll.htm

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
So Amundsen isn't doing a press conference?

I don't think so. The item you posted is the one I had been looking at earlier today and I didn't double-check my facts before I posted.

Don't get as old as me. A blink is NOT supposed to be a re-boot.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Here are some good questions to ask at the townhall meetings if you can address a known anti-. They come from "The Liberty Poll" at Bloomfield Press' website. The link to the entire poll follows. Choose from a number of very good questions.

When did you last read the state and federal Constitutions?

As a candidate for a state or federal office, can you think of any ways to improve enforcement of the 10th Amendment (the states and the people retain powers not delegated to the federal government)?

With regard to law enforcement, are you in favor of police being allowed to use deadly force when absolutely necessary to protect innocent lives from criminal attack? Do you believe that people, even people with no training of any kind, have less right to defend themselves than the authorities do?

http://www.gunlaws.com/the%20liberty%20poll.htm
I like the last one, particularly.

I plan to ask some version of

"Do you trust your constituents?"

"Do you believe I become less trustworthy when I walk in to a police station (Puller is sponsor of SB1007, prohibiting carry in "law enforcement facilities"). Do you believe I became less trustworthy when I walked in to this library this morning (there is a bill to enable libraries to post their premises)?"

"How many hours a month is a Fairfax County Police Officer required to spend in shooting practice? How many does the average officer actually spend?" -- probably won't ask that.

I'm not out to trip them up so much as I am out to speak my piece. I firmly believe only a SEE (significant emotional event) will ever change an anti's mind - particularly a long-term incumbent Democrat anti.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good questions, Tess.

I've often wanted to ask some version of "What sort of disgusting attitude must you have about people in general in order to arrive at the conclusion that they can't be trusted with firearms?" Or, ".....in order to conclude that they shouldn't be able to defend themselves."

Another I'vesometimes wanted to houndthem on is the presumption of criminality.That is, you can't be worried aboutcitizens carryingfirearms unless you first assume alatent criminality. I'd like to be able to demand that they explainthemselves and "Please, right now point to the people who you think are latent criminals." Yes, slander penalties apply. No matter which way you slice their arguments, one thread always comes back to the assumptionof latent criminality.

mlands

imported post

I'm planning to OC if I go.

By the way, she's hosting a press conference on Monday, 0930, on behalf of Virginians Against Handgun Violence (though their web site hasn't been updated in a long long time).
They should rename themselves Citizens Against Self Defense.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I went. No self-defense or firearms-related issues were discussed. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions.

Of course, I realized much later that by wearing my GSL button, I could count on not being recognized to ask a question. Del Amundson knows these buttons.

Still, it was informative. Two other posters (Citizen and one whose name I know but whose handle I don't) were there as well. Del Amundson made it all the way to 11:51 before she blamed the "ideologically bound". Though she never defined it, her meaning was pretty clear.

longwatch

imported post

Thats ok that you didn't ask a question, if they see us there with GSL buttons it becomes a kind of psyop. Even if no one brings up Gun Control, they know you were there watching their actions.

Tomahawk

imported post

Tess wrote:
one whose name I know but whose handle I don't) were there as well.

That was me. I got there late and the room was packed, so I stood just outside the door. I wandered off to look at the engineering books (on which this library is very weak, don't get me started on how dumbed down our public libraries are) when they droned on about transportation policy and Amundson started whining to her chior about the "ideologically bound" and the dirty tricks the republicans play in the house (as if the dems wouldn't do the same in that position). Her fan club were nodding their heads in agreement and and gasping and so forth, and that was as much as I could take. Kudos to Tess for showing up OC and with a VCDL button.