• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to NC and Orange County

xdfan

imported post

Wow, OC.org has really grown into a nice site and I'm encouraged by the OC stories for this state. Until tonight I really thought open carry was flat out illegal in NC - but admit I can't think of exactly why!

Last fall my family relocated from Iowa to beautiful rural Hillsborough. In the may-issue state of Iowa my wife and I were fortunate to hold unrestricted permits to carry. I CCed there regularly but only semi-open carried once - legally with permit, at the town grocery store (no problems).

Late last year we passed the NC CCW class and are now simply trying to find time to get to the Orange County sheriff's office to put in our CCW permit apps.

We regularly shop and dine in Hillsborough and Durham, and much less frequently, in Chapel Hill. Has anyone on this forum done OCing in Orange County outside of Chapel Hill/Carrboro or talked with the Sheriff (Lindy Pendergrass) about it? Our CCW instructor mentioned something about Orange County courts being unduly harsh in cases of justifiable shootings, but nothing about open carry (nobody asked).

OBXMIKE

imported post

Congratulations! You just landed right in the middle of lib-ville, N.C. Chapel Hill (my alma mater!:)) Has some 'tarded law on the books concerning allowable size of the firearm to be legal to open carry. I did some searching some time ago to find out the particulars, but came up short. I think it has to be a "hog-leg". So, feel free to carry your .454 casull or .44 mag blackhawk, might as well put on a cowboy hat and some boots and make a statement!! (lol) In THAT town, you'd really get some attention! But, seriously, maybe someone will chime in with the allowable dimensions for legal OC. I'd be very interested to find out what reactions you get!! Just make sure to print up all references to statutes and laws and be prepared to address some left-winger(s) railing on you for exercising YOUR rights.

Of course, I ALWAYS had my .44 while I was there in school, but that was a long time ago....and most of the guys on my hall thought it was pretty cool...

jimwyant

imported post

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=19952&sid=33

Sec. 11-134. Prohibition on display of small handguns.

(a)No person shall display, on any street, sidewalk, alley or other public property any handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed.

(b)For purposes of this article, the term "handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed" shall mean any handgun or other firearm with an overall length of less than six (6) inches; provided, however, that in the case of a handgun or firearm that does not have a handgrip, this term shall mean any such handgun or firearm with an overall length of less than eight (8) inches.

(c)For purposes of this article, the length of a handgun shall be determined as follows:

(1)As the length of a line drawn from the tip of the barrel of the handgun along the length of the barrel to the point where that line intersects with a perpendicular line drawn up from the point on the back of the handgrip farthest from the tip of the barrel; or,

(2)If the length of the handgun measured along the barrel extends back beyond the point where the lines described in (c)(1) above intersect, the length shall be determined by the length of the gun measured straight back from the tip of the barrel for the full length of the gun; or

(3)If the handgun does not have a handgrip, the length shall be determined by measuring the overall length of the weapon by a straight line connecting the tip of the barrel to the point farthest away from the tip of the barrel.

Based on this, "hog legs" are not required - even the G26/G27 "Baby Glocks" are OK, since they measure over 6 1/4" long as per this ordinance. Pretty much, as long as you aren't trying to OC a Raven 25, you're OK. Hope this helps.

OBXMIKE

imported post

Thanks for locating that!! I knew there was a min. length of some sort.

I still think a hog-leg with the boots and hat would be kinda cool...strolling down Franklin street...on game day...surrounded by peace-niks....:what::uhoh::what:

Heck, you may actuallyfind a decent parking place.....hmmm.....

jimwyant

imported post

That would be funny. My primary carry is a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull, and even with a 2.5" barrel, I believe it would almost qualify as a "hog-leg". I've never done the hat and boots thing - yet, though. I work in Durham, but seldom go out in the area - once I leave work, I'm enroute back to Richmond. I try to stay current on the laws of both regions, just to be safe.

HerbM

imported post

Just checked a Glock 30, small frame .45 and it is even 6.5 inches by the most conservative measure I could determine.

(thread is sort of old but ho-hum.)

--
Herb