• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about relocating

KLEMMTHAMM

imported post

Well after serving in the Army and fighting to uphold supposed freedoms for all Americans I have been slapped in the face with reality. I was pondering the other day about getting my CCW permit here in Oklahoma, when I asked about OC, the instructor, whom I was asking questions, told me it was illegal here in OK and asked me why I would want to anyway. I didn't have any good answers for him at the time... I wish I would have found this site first. I was asking one of my officers (I work for a PD in a support role) he said there are states that allow it and directed me to this site.

I have seen several posts that say bad things about LEO's but he (my officer) was very supportive of open carry. (By the way I say 'my officer' because I am possessive of them, they are my friends and my job is to try to keep them safe)

My father lives in Litchfield, KyI have kicked around the idea of moving myself and my wife there just so I can use the freedoms I believe everyone (excluding criminals and incompetents) should be able to use. Plus, I use to go spelunking, and Ky. has a sweet cave system (Mammoth Caves). Just a bonus of course, lol.

I saw one poster, Truebrit, is from there and I was wondering if maybe he could give me some info on the local and what general OC life is like in Ky.

Anyone who wants to get to know who I am and what I am about please PM me... I can never have enough friends.

-Klemmt-

-Edit- *lol, got kinda lost in my own little bio, the point of this whole topic was me to ask if anyone has had any experience in Ky. OC'ing or, maybe I should look at another state, basically anyone with any suggestions or comments*

VAopencarry

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

You probably can't go wrong with Kentucky. You can Open Carry in Kentucky, West Virginia and Virginia(among others) without a permit and they have statewide preemption. True Brit doesn't seem to roll through here as much as he used to, maybe some Kentuckians can weigh in. If you haven't seen the Kentucky page in the Stories from the States section, check that out.

TrueBrit

imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Sir, and my thanks to my friend from the Old Dominion above who has prompted me to flap my gums yet again!

Been pre-occupied lately, and may have to get across the pond shortly to visit my old Dad,who, sadly ,is failing fast.

Nonetheless, KY is pretty good as far as OC goes. My Canadian friend the Wingman OCs in Northern KY,reputed to be less gun friendly than other parts of the Commonwealth. Lexington and Louisville are said to be down on OC, but possumboy and I have OCd there, no problems.

I think the problems in big cities stem from the fact that there are too many soccer moms and worry warts there,and the cops feel obliged to check out the asinine " man with a gun" calls that they get.

Maybe OC next time you visit your Dad? Visit him often. I know that I shall miss my old feller deeply when he passes.

All good wishes,

TrueBrit.

Klem, I will PM you shortly through this forum, and I think that I speak for all who post here when I thank you for your service.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hi, TrueBrit. Sorry to hear about your Dad. Your Dad and your family will be in my prayers. Good luck to you , Sir.

Best Wishes. <DoubleR>

vermonter

imported post

I have OC'ed in KY and never had a problem. Here in Vermont I steer clear of OC in Burlington since I know the cops and wouldn't want to put them in a position of having to lecture me. A LOT of sheeple from what I consider the 2 worst police states have moved here, NJ and MA. We have no laws of any kind on OC except Schools and States Buildings.

KLEMMTHAMM

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Welcome to OCDO, Sir, and my thanks to my friend from the Old Dominion above who has prompted me to flap my gums yet again!

Been pre-occupied lately, and may have to get across the pond shortly to visit my old Dad,who, sadly ,is failing fast.

Nonetheless, KY is pretty good as far as OC goes. My Canadian friend the Wingman OCs in Northern KY,reputed to be less gun friendly than other parts of the Commonwealth. Lexington and Louisville are said to be down on OC, but possumboy and I have OCd there, no problems.

I think the problems in big cities stem from the fact that there are too many soccer moms and worry warts there,and the cops feel obliged to check out the asinine " man with a gun" calls that they get.

Maybe OC next time you visit your Dad? Visit him often. I know that I shall miss my old feller deeply when he passes.

All good wishes,

TrueBrit.

Klem, I will PM you shortly through this forum, and I think that I speak for all who post here when I thank you for your service.

TrueBrit, thank you for the warm welcome and the info. I am deeply sorry to hear of your father, I don't see my father as much as I would like and am afraid I will regret that later in life. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Klemmt-

KLEMMTHAMM

imported post

Thanks to all who have posted so far, all the info and the welcomesare greatly appreciated. I am starting to navigate the site better and have found some stuff out for myself... That is not to say that you guys and gals have to stop posting. Any general talk about OC is welcome in this thread... as far as I am concerned if it is new to me I can learn from it.:D

TrueBrit

imported post

Many thanks,good gentlemen all,for the kindly sentiments you have expressed.

Another reason for not posting much lately is the fact that, now we are almost a thousand strong, I have no need to post! I was pleased to help get the ball rolling, particularly re the KY page, but the other guys post much better stuff than I do!

Fear not, I still enjoy reading the informative stuff here regularly,and will chip in from time to time if I feel that I have something worthwhile to offer!;)

BTW, Klem, let me give you an insight into the mindset of we who live here in KY: a friend of mine and I were recently discussing doomsday provisions , should the USA be inconvenienced greatlyby True Believers, illegal aliens, opressive government, etc. He opined that we allneed merely betake ourselves to the hills of Eastern KY with our deer rifles,await those who would incommode us, each fire three well aimed shots, and go home for dinner!Sounds like a winner to me!:D

TrueBrit.

ProguninTN

imported post

KLEMMTHAM, welcome aboard to OCDO. I hope you may find the site useful.

TrueBrit: Glad to see you are still around. Even if you choose not to post as much, I still look forward to your contributions. Best wishes to your father.

ProguninTN

KLEMMTHAMM

imported post

BTW, Klem, let me give you an insight into the mindset of we who live here in KY: a friend of mine and I were recently discussing doomsday provisions , should the USA be inconvenienced greatlyby True Believers, illegal aliens, opressive government, etc. He opined that we allneed merely betake ourselves to the hills of Eastern KY with our deer rifles,await those who would incommode us, each fire three well aimed shots, and go home for dinner!Sounds like a winner to me!:D

TrueBrit.

:lol:*LOL* Sounds good to me :lol:
I am planning on coming over to your wonderful state in May '07 I plan on OC'ing my XD45 Compact for the first time. I am going to need to find a good retention holster I guess.

I will be hovering around Litchfield for a couple o' days. I will give you my contact info before I come so we might be able to get a group OC going. Especially since I have never OC'd before, it seems weird to me... I am sure I will get comfy with it really quick though... I may not want to leave if I like it alot. lol.

-Klemmt-

"Hold your head high and proud.... I need time to aim." -me

PaulB

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Wyoming. Gun-craziest state in the nation, OC without a permit anywhere in the state (there actually is no law at all about OC, other than the statewide pre-emption which includes OC).

See this site if you are interested in freedom:
www.freestatewyoming.org

JustaShooter

I think this is a new record for a thread resurrection (at least it is the longest I've seen) - 6 years, 9 months, 21 days!