• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Antonio Stock Show/Rodeo

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm planning to attend the Stock Show & Rodeo. Will be flying in from Virginia, and understand we have re-instituted reciprocity with Texas.

When I used to attend Rodeo, I don't recall ever seeing anything posting the grounds. But I haven't been to the new arena; we left just as they were changing things.

Are the grounds posted? Can I carry in the arena and on the grounds?

Any help would be appreciated.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess wrote:
I'm planning to attend the Stock Show & Rodeo. Will be flying in from Virginia, and understand we have re-instituted reciprocity with Texas.

When I used to attend Rodeo, I don't recall ever seeing anything posting the grounds. But I haven't been to the new arena; we left just as they were changing things.

Are the grounds posted? Can I carry in the arena and on the grounds?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tess,

After a brief search I found that the rodeo will be held at least in part at the Freeman Coliseum, but there is nothing on their site that lists their policies about anything. I found that they adjoin the AT&T Center where the Spurs play, so there may be some events there as well, but I couldn't determine that for certain. AT&T Center has a much more informative web site than the Freeman Coliseum does, but there is no mention on their policies page of weapons of any kind being prohibited.

However, I found the following quote regarding security: "The AT&T Center wants to ensure that patrons have a fun and safe experience at the arena with AT&T Center staff/security personnel present for all events. Additionally, the AT&T Center has a state-of-the-art electronic security system which features closed circuit cameras and monitors, electric door alarms, access control systems and outdoor lighting. Small handbags/purses are allowed in the AT&T Center but will be inspected at all entrance gates. Large bags, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, and other items such as bottles, cans, food and other containers are prohibited and if confiscated will be discarded."

I hope this helps.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks, OC-Glock19. I knew it was at the Coliseum, and I know I've had my bag "inspected" before - once, in the 7-8 years we went there. Texas has very strict laws on how a place has to be posted in order for it to be really "posted" (size of sign, size of lettering, etc.)and I want to make certain there haven't been any changes since I was last there.

This helps, though - gives me more places to look. I find it hard to believe no onegoesarmed there, but since there's no OC in TX, one can't tell.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've been and returned.

Just FYI - while I don't remember seeing the signs before, this year the grounds surroundingthe Freeman Coliseum and the AT&T Center are clearly posted IAW Texas standard wording and size.

I'm almost thinking it wasn't that way until the AT&T Center opened, but I may be wrong.

hirundo82

imported post

Just remember that you cannot carry a handgun "on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking
place."

I imagine the rodeo qualifies as a professional sporting event; I think the one here in Houston does.