• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Sightings

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Periodically one will hear someone say that they have never seen anyone open carry.
I figured a thread should be dedicated to listing OC observations.

I'll start off listing the ones I've seen.
Early 90's Arlington, saw a 20's aged male OCing a Ruger in a shoulder holster at a comic book shop.

Fall 2004 saw a man with a Kahr carried OWB at a meetup at a BBQ restaurant in Arlington, I later ran into him at a VCDL meeting.

Spring 2005 saw a man with a Glock OWB at Costco in Chantilly.

Today as we were carpooling down to Richmond, at an Exxon in Massapponix, saw a driver with SIG OWB pumping gas, he was in casual attire but he might have been a LEO, he had what looked like LEO gear equipped to his car.

To spare any redundancy, it would make sense to say now that I like many of us have seen other OCers at gunshows, VCDL meetings and political functions, OCDO meetups.

What have you seen?

paramedic70002

imported post

I was at a gas station in Windsor when I saw a young man OCing while he pumped. I was startled at first because he had the "banger" look, had a couple of friends with him, but he was cool.

A few years ago,saw an OCer while we were pushing shopping carts in Food Lion in Franklin. I was also OC. We met eyes and smiled, went on about our business.

TrueBrit

imported post

Ioccasionally see three or four old boys OCing at the gas station just up the road from where i live. Not together, but individually, not frequently, but not rarely either.Mostly revolvers in inexpensive holsters, justordinary workingguys in everyday workclothes. The way it should be, IMHO.No panics, no calls to the cops,nothing. We just smile pleasantly at each other, and give each other a good day. Nothing more is necessary, I believe.

TrueBrit.

rebfan

imported post

The first time I saw someone ocing was about 10 years ago fishing. The second was last year I passed a broken down car on route 234, the guy who was helping the driver of the broken down car had a gun on his hip, though, I could not tell what kind it was. He did not look like a leo.

molonlabetn

imported post

Over the past 5 years, I have seen less than a handful of regular citizens open-carry in public (not in a gun-shop or range).

The two more notable were:

Last year, mid-summer, I was behinda young man in line to pay for some gas and a bottle of water... I noticed that he had a Kel-Tec P3-AT in an IWB holster at 4 o'clock. It was not obvious at all, if I didn't know what the butt-end of a Kel-Tec looked like, I would have passed it off as a pocketknife. I was open-carrying my XD-45 at the time... We both exchanged quick glances when he turned around, and thenhe left. No big deal to either of us.

3-4 years ago, I was meandering around a local Nissan dealership and noticed a well-dressed gentleman carrying a Walther P99 in what looked like a Fobus or Uncle-Mikes paddle holster. He was with his wife looking at vehicles. The salesman looked a bit nervous, but the fellow who was OCing was noticeably being very friendly and polite. I was carrying concealed at the time (and was pretty new to it). Seeing him, and the responses, or lack thereof,of the people he interacted with while he was theretruly inspired me to carry more confidently since then, and made me realize how important one's behavior is while OCing, due to the scrutiny we are under (even when the scrutiny is not out of criticism, but interest).

I hope that the image which people perceive in me when I OC is one of stability, respect, courtesy and confidence... That is my primary goal, education. Everyone who knows memuch at allis aware of the zealin my stance on many specific issues (including RKBA)... and hopefullythe lack of attempts to refute or argue with themare a sign of (at least) their respect.

molonlabetn

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

:D

Once a month, at various restaurants in Northern Virginia, 3 to 20 people at a time.

:D

Other than that, never. But I've only been here 4 years.

firearms_101

imported post

Unfortunately, I have never seen anyone open carry except the first and only VCDL luncheon I was able to attendin Vienna... :(

I feel alone out there when I OC in NOVA... (Alexandria, Crystal City, Arlington) Especially, being a petite female...Where are my ladies at???

longwatch

imported post

Well lets see theres you, Tess, and perhaps 2 other women that I can say I have ever heard of carrying much less seen openly although I have seen all doing that.

firearms_101

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Well lets see theres you, Tess, and perhaps 2 other women that I can say I have ever heard of carrying much less seen openly although I have seen all doing that.
Picture this...I am 4'10"...100lbs soaking wet...so you can imagine the stares I get when people see me OCing! :what:

longwatch

imported post

Well I'm about the opposite end of that with my height and size. Probably get mistaken for a big cop most of the time because I have that friend of a doughnut look to me, and a military haircut sometimes.

VAopencarry

imported post

"Friend of a donut" , that's a good one. That would be ME!! I ate 7 donuts last weekend:shock: in fact I eat about that many every weekend. But I work hard to make it not 'look' like I do.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Swatpro911, give me a couple of weeks. I just started work in Chantilly on Monday, but will be near Fair Oaks Mall. I don't know what traffic is like during the daytime; maybe lunch would be an option?

Of course, I'm not as tall as Longwatch, and "friend of several dozen donuts" is probably more descriptive of me. I don't think many people even notice when I OC.

firearms_101

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
do you carry openly? I neva seen any females Ocing in NOVA...I go to costco in crystal city o'cing most of the time. But besides me no one else i seen
I OC'd in Costco's too! ;) In fact, I do need to go there soon...I always spend more than anticipated! :banghead:

zoom6zoom

imported post

Haven't been OC'ing as much the last few weeks - but it's mainly because I don't have much in the way of short jackets!

I also don't eat out much or do much shopping.

Mtn Jack

imported post

Nobody in Pa ever, and i guess i will have to protect everybody, this really sucks no one wants to chance oc i do know of a lot of LTCF carry people. but dont know if they carry much or at all. Seems to be a lot of miss imformation out there, or most people are sissy sheep:banghead: Sorry for the rant but i am alone in my actions with you good people. keep it up Mtn Jack