• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Militia and Police to hear gun bills Thursday 1/18/07

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The following bills will be heard in M,P,&PS Subcommittee on thursday Jan 18th.
VCDL supported bills are in blue, opposed red, neutral or no position in black.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+sub+H150010118
Wright (Chairman), Griffith, Nutter, Lingamfelter, Poisson
Date of Meeting: January 18, 2007
Time and Place: 5:00 p.m., 7 West
All public comment will be heard at subcommittee

H.B. 1988 Concealed weapons; officer of State Police to carry while
on active duty with reserve forces.

H.B. 2106 Concealed handgun permits; repeals authority of locality
to require fingerprinting.

H.B. 2173 Libraries; provides that localities may adopt an
ordinance that prohibits firearms, etc. therein.

H.B. 2231 Concealed handguns; allows State Police officer who
leaves in good standing to carry.

H.B. 2413 Concealed handgun; retired law-enforcement officers in
favorable review to carry.

H.B. 2547 Firearms; regulation by counties for hunting.

H.B. 2573 Concealed handgun permits; adds retired credentialed
intelligence agents of armed forces, etc.

H.B. 2588 Machine guns; Superintendent of Department of State
Police to certify transfer and registration.

H.B. 2593 Concealed weapons; judges may carry without permit.

H.B. 2653 Illegal conveyance of firearms; penalty.

H.B. 2768 Possession of certain firearms by persons under the age
of 18; parental consent.

H.B. 2811 Possession of firearms in residences of mentally ill
persons.

H.B. 2900 Firearms; carrying at Capitol Square.

H.B. 2998 Possession of firearms by certain persons who have had
parental rights terminated; penalty.

H.B. 3000 Possession of firearms following certain criminal
convictions; penalty.

H.B. 3013 Firearms on school property; pneumatic weapons; penalty.

VAopencarry

imported post

Something isn't right. HB3000 & 3013 do not come up on the GA website and HB2106 is a different bill than is posted. Haven't checked all of them yet.

longwatch

imported post

A little hip pocket analysis. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the pro-gun bills get rolled into an omnibus bill, basically they would all pass or fail as a package. This subcommittee has been very rough with gun control bills so we may not see most of the reds PBI'd (pass by indefinitely) with the exception of HB 2593. I feel pretty sure that nothing that can hurt us will make it and if that is the case it just leaves a few Senate bills, and the house pocketknife and airgun bills.

Sen Devolites-Davis gun show loophole bill SB 827 is scheduled to be heard again in the Senate Courts of Justice tommorrow(1/17) as well as HB1866 (airguns on school grounds) will be heard in the House COJ Criminal law subcommittee.

VAopencarry

imported post

That works, thanks.

I thought Bowling was on this committee? or is that the full committe he is on? or am I just plain wrong?

longwatch

imported post

He is on the full 23 member committee, the meeting on thursday is for the 5 member subcommittee #1.

longwatch

imported post

Very tempting, I may go down. Watch out where you park some of the garages close for the night at 7.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Thanks. I happen to have monthly parking nearby due to work...

My best friend (and fellow VCDL member) is joining me for the 5pm hearing (I just got off of the phone with him).

Please let me know if you wish to join us for the 5pm sub-committee hearing...

longwatch

imported post

Maybe this afternoon after the hearing, or NLT tommorrow morning. However I wouldn't be surprised if you heard it from VA-ALERT first.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I attended the sub-committe hearing along with a friend tonight. We both open carried. We walked through the metal detector, it beeped. Three officers were about ten feet away, none even turned and looked at us. I walked up to one of them standing in the guard booth with my CHP in hand. He said "How can I help you sir?". I said "I just beeped" and handed him my CHP. He said "Thank you, Brandon (last name". My friend then showed him his ID. Very polite, professional and extremely nonchalant.

Philip and (I think) two other VCDL'ers were present along with my friend and I. The bill to allow localities to ban firearms in public libraries was tabled. The delegate who presented information on the bill pointedly noted she "would be back next year" after it was tabled (I took this as a belief Democrats would take the General Assembly this year in November). She said she was worried about "the elderly and children" in libraries. She also rather disingenuously presented a copy of the sign she said VCDL members "tore down" in a library. Turns out she meant a sign that VCDL members were able to force the city to remove because it was unenforceable and illegal. She made it sound like we had rampaged through a library tearing down a sign that made the elderly and children somehow safer. I raised my hand to speak on this one after Philip spoke, but the Chair did not see me. If we don't work hard in the months leading up to November, she probably is right -we'll face a much more difficult time next year when it comes to gun bills.

A bill to outlaw firearms on and around Capital Square was also tabled, after some discussion. I was the only one in the audience who spoke about this bill (I raised my hand much higher this time!). I noted that I regularly carry a firearm because of possible vulnerability to kidnapping because of my access to certain vaults, and I work two blocks away from the General Assembly building. The proposed bill would make me a criminal if I was on the sidewalk with a firearm walking to where I sometimes eat lunch. Someone tried to say the intention was to ban firearms in the area "bounded" by four particular streets and thus wouldn't affect me- I pointed out the sidewalk I walk on sometimes is "bounded by" those four streets.The gentlemen who spoke on behalf of this bill (the sponsor) said he was a CHP holder (I don't believe him. I hate to accuse someone of being untruthful, but this is my gut reaction). He noted that although he is a "permit holder" he wouldn't carry at the General Assembly and people get scared because there are guns there. Great news - this bill was also tabled! When I spoke, I noted I was open carrying and one Democrat on the committee who was seated less than five feet away from me did adouble take and leaned in to see even better- apparently, he hadn't even noticed until I mentioned it, even though I was standing five feet away from him as I spoke!

This was my first time speaking ata General Assembly sub-committe meeting, and I enjoyed it.Even better, we seemed togetexactly what we wanted tonight.And the Capital Police were extrememly professional - my friend and I also spoke with two other officers while open carrying when I left the building. I started talking to them because they were discussing how much they enjoyed a recent visit to my alma mater (JMU).They obviously couldn't have cared less that I was open carrying.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
H.B. 2593 Concealed weapons; judges may carry without permit.

Anyone know why the NRA supports HB 2593? NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol 14, No 3 mentions it in the VA state update.

The NRA tends to be very statist in nature. They justify these kinds of positions by suggesting it will somehow help the rest of us.

Personally,I think the best answer is that the same rules should apply to everyone. Judges should have no trouble getting the same carry permit any other law abiding citizen can get.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree with the above. I was able to accept the idea that retired LEO's should have automatic carry permits after retirement, since they could be presumed to have some experience. Giving judges the privilege without even requiring a permit is not only terribly elitist, it isn't terribly wise. These guys they may not even know which end the bullet comes out of! Besides, expecting them to go through the same procedures as everyone else would give them a better appreciation of what the average guy goes through to be able to defend himself properly. This is America, after all, and we don't have nobility here.

longwatch

imported post

Actually it may be worse than not knowing which end the bullet comes out of. A judge may not be legally quallified to get a permit but could carry 24/7 under this bill. One standard for all people.