• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder holster--open or concealed?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I've asked a couple different people their opinions on whether or not an exposed shoulder holster would be considered a openly carried or concealed weapon. Here are the arguments to both sides thus far..

Open: The shoulder harness is much more noticeable from ANY angle, vice a hip holster which can be completely hidden by simply standing at an angle. Also, the weapon itself is closer to eye level. I carry a walther ppk/s, and even it's small .380 frame can be seen from both the front and rear, whether my arm is down all the way or not.

Concealed: The weapon is under the arm, and therefore concealed (this may be written somewhere? I dunno, people kept saying that.) Also, it's been argued that since the shoulder harness is designed for concealed carry, the weapon is in a concealed position.

I personally think that the shoulder harness is much more open than a hip holster. When I have my walther on my belt, just dropping my arms to my side can completely hide the gun from someone in front of me. Also, like I had stated before, just turning my right side slightly away from an observer also hides the hip holster completely. I've had multiple conversations with people when, in mid-sentence, they'll say "Oh! I didn't realize you were carrying!".

I'm guessing most people would think the shoulder harness is a little over-kill/funny looking for every day open carry. However it's MUCH more comfortable when sitting, and itwould provide quick transitionbetween concealed and openwhen entering a bank (or a bar in VA.)

So please, post your opinions and thoughts. :)

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

I don't know what the law might say about it, but when I wear a shoulder holster it is not concealed in the least! Now if you through a cover garment on, well that would certainly conceal it.

As it is an open back,horizontal carry for my 1911, anybody behind me thinks aHowitzer is pointed at them.:what:

LoveMyCountry

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

As it is an open back,horizontal carry for my 1911, anybody behind me thinks aHowitzer is pointed at them.:what:
Yeah, I suppose there's that whole muzzle awareness thing...:D

Anyway I can't find anywhere where the law mentions a type of holster or anything like that. I just figure that honestly it's easier to hide a hip holster than it is a shoulder holster, so I really shouldn't have any problems..

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't think this would qualify as concealed even though it's a shoulder holster.

desantis_terminator.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol yeah, that's a good example of incredibly OPEN carry. I'm talking more about the type that is used to conceal a gun under a coat, so it wouldn't go in front like that.

OpFlash

imported post

To successfully open carry without causing undue negative attention I would not recommend anything tacti-cool like a shoulder holster or thigh holster. I hope that most people would want to open carry in such a way as to present themselves (and others since you are representing others that OC) in a level headed, responsible, and non threatening a manner as possible.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Agreed. My purpose for carrying in a shoulder holster would not be for the taci-coolness, lol. If I'm going somewhere where I will be sitting for the majority of the time, a shoulder holster is just much more comfortable than anything on my hip. I think I've decided that, if I do open carry with a shoulder holster, it'll have to be a nice leather one. The Nylon one just looks tacky, but I think a leather one in a decent outfit would probably just make people think I was a cop.

ProtectMd

imported post

I think that if you are wearing something that looks presentable, along with the clothing and the gun you are carrying then that all factors in to it. If you wear somethign that looks decent, adn doesn't make you look like you are apart of your own swat team or something then your probably good to go. Muzzle awareness is a big thing as well.

NCHornet

imported post

It is not a question if the Holster is concealed it is all about the gun, and if the gun is concealed from view when you arm is in a normal position I can easily see a eager D/A trying to get you on this. Whether he would win, don't know. I also don't like the idea of a shoulder holster as it gives the appearence that you are wanting to portray yourself as a cop. I understand this isn't so, but from a ignorant cop point of view and a anti gunner DA you could have some trouble here. I prefer a nice strong side rig, go crossdraw if you are sitting for long periods.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

You make some very valid points, as well. I definately agree that the shoulder holster could give the wrong impression to the uneducated or stupid (there is a difference).