• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol lock box for car

DeadCenter

imported post

I recently read in a post about a lock box for a car. I think 357luver posted it. And I think Tess said sheintended to purchase 2.

Can I get the link again and any feedback from those who may use this device.

And most importantly does this satisfy VA law for a non-chp holder to transport concealed.

Thanks

DC

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Possibly:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

It's not as convenient as one that properly fits in the large console/armrests of many SUV and trucks. Works well if you have space under your seat for it.

Not sure about the non-CHP transport question but I'd think it would be fine if the weapon is unloaded and ammo/magazine stored separately.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I bought two. Ordered them Monday; they came in on Friday.

Cast aluminum - not as heavyweight as I thought. However, I drive a Jeep Cherokee (no trunk). I carry my gun on my belt - yeah, it looks stupid over a dress or suit - and when I get to the parking lot of my building, I pull the safe from under the seat, unholster and lock the gun in the box, and then leave the belt in the car. It's very easy to do surreptitiously, and it's the best solution I can see so far.

If someone knew the box was there, they could probably cut the cable with a boltcutter or somesuch. I have it locked to my seat frame, so I'm not worried about them cutting that. The manufacturer CLAIMS the lock is jimmy-proof. I figure it's inconspicuous, and if no one knows it's there, they're not likely to go LOOKING for it.

For what it is, I'm very happy with it. And I'm REALLY happy that I no longer work on a federal installation, so I CAN carry to/from.

No, the building isn't posted, but I don't want to take any chances yet - I've been there less than a week!;)

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

YEP, What Tess Said :lol:. Glad to see that you are off the fed property, Tess. I basically handle it the same way to and from where I work, in Falls Church. I purchased the two sizes of the safes and they are nice. Totally unobtrusive. I do recommend them. They will also qualify for Air Travel & interstate teansportation, I believe. (However, IMNAL- I always wanted to use that)

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have one in each vehicle and pull it out if I am staying with anyone that is leary of guns or has small children to be able to lock it up when it's not on my side. I have heard about people flying with them and looking at the requirements it looks like it should work, I will be testing it this summer. I also will pull a spare from one of the other vehicles for an extended 4x4 trip because I can just lock my wallet in the truck and not have to worry about having it on me or someone getting it out of the console when I am digging in the mud/sand outside the vehicle.

For convienence and piece of mind they are great. Again if someone is looking for it, they can get the box by cutting the cable, but mine stash nicely in the vehicle. They also include holes in the back so you can mount them to a floorboard or such.

when I bought the third one, I called and talked to them about getting it keyed the same as the two I already had. They couldn't garauntee a match so for a small fee they sent two additional locks to replace the ones in my existing boxes

DeadCenter

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Not sure about the non-CHP transport question but I'd think it would be fine if the weapon is unloaded and ammo/magazine stored separately.

Maybe his answers the question????

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Any lawyers in here????

DC

Wrascal

imported post

I didn't like the ones that I found locally, and couldn't really evaluate the strength of the on-line boxes, so .......

I purchased several military ammo boxes from the Military Surplus store and JB Welded large hasps to them. Using JB Weld enabled me to keepit water-tight, light-weight, and (I feel) stronger than if I had drilled/ used small bolts on the hasp.

Now I justuse a good lock and heavy cable to secure it to the (Ford F150) seat frame (where it bolts to the floor). It fits under my seats, yours may be different. I don't think it would fit under my wifes Honda Pilotbecause Hondainstalls electronic gizmos under there.

These boxes are strong, and cheap!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I would say that even if someone transports a gun in a safe -- which is located between the front two seats (console area) -- he/she isn't immune from arrest/prosecution because it COULD be called "readily accessible" (depending on how is this legally defined) given the quick-opening nature of these types of gun safes, and it certainly IS "within reach" of the driver/passenger.

In my particular case, I'll be getting one of these more serious vehicle safes (I'll be needing it for my laptop, PDA and camera, too):

http://www.handgunsafe.com/41216s.htm

...and mounting it OUT OF MY REACH in the rear cargo area of my Honda CRV (which has no trunk, lockable or otherwise).

True, I don't like this because it's not convenient for me getting to it quickly (I'd rather put it between the seats), but at least the cops/DA can't say -- if theywere so inclined -- that it was "within reach" and/or "readily accessible."

This is especially important to me as I will be making a trip this Summer back East, and will be visiting MD for a while, then making a short trip into Washington, DC, to visit my sister...then I'm out of there!

I can only imagine what might happen when MD/DC cops see a vehicle with a TX license plates...the safe in the cargo area may make the difference if I'm stopped. That's the best I can do.

Or, I can leave the gun somewhere in a VA (Fairfax) hotel safe -- or maybe with a VCDL member -- to pick up after my MD/DC trip, but then I'd be without a gun the whole time I'm in MD and DC...while the criminals/gangster punks there ARE armed.

What a hassle it is just for a decent citizen to exercise his/her RIGHT of self-defense!

-- John D.

VAopencarry

imported post

Cloud, You might to check into the laws. I'm not a lawyer but I think you would be illegal riding around MD or DC even with the gun locked up. In MD, I believe, you have to be going from 1 place you can legally possess to another place you can legally possess. Like from your home to the range. You cannot just ride around with a gun locked in your car. Now if you are just passing through is another story. I am not an expert but you might want to make sure about the law before you get yourself in any hot water.

That being said, I only live 5 miles from Fairfax. I'd be glad to lock it up in my home if you want.

VAopencarry

imported post

FYI:

From PDO:

Maryland Car/Gun law summary

Date updated: Aug 5, 2005 @ 10:09 pm
The only legal time and way you can transport a firearm in a vehicle without a permit is: While transporting a weapon to:
  • A Gun shop for repairs.
  • From place of legal purchase.
  • Formal or informal target shoot.
  • Sport shooting event.
  • Hunting.
  • Trapping.
  • Dog obedience training class or show.
  • Organized military activity.
NOTE: In the above exceptions, while traveling to or from any such place or event referred to, a handgun shall be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, box or holster. ( I can not find anything in Maryland Law about transporting in the trunk or in an area unavailable to occupants in the vehicle. After reading their law I would carry it only in the trunk) (Also See Carry without a CCW)
Federal Law on the Transportation of Firearms. Title 18 U.S.C. Section 926A

http://www.packing.org/state/maryland/#statecar_law

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just bought a safe that easily fits under the seat. Check it out at www.sportsmansguide.com, and search for "Secure-it" handgun storage safe. Its 9 1/2 by 6 1/2 by 1 3/4, 21 ga. steel. Keyed lock. Comes with vinyl coated steel cable tether so it can be anchored under seat. $32 +S&H. It will fit pistols up to full size 1911.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

VAopencarry,

Yeah, that's what I figured, and I guess I wouldn't be any better off with a long gun vs. a handgun. I'm not "passing through" MD so that's out. Nor would I be "passing through" DC...I need to stop in both places. So taking a gun with me to MD or DC is too risky.

I hate NOT to be able to go to MD (wanted to visit a few towns and the Chesapeake shore, places I lived when I was a kid) just because of this gun issue but I also hate to go places unarmed. And it's worse in DC. But it seems to be the only way...or not do it all.

Thanks for your offer...I used to live in Fairfax (Fairchester, on Egan Dr.) when I was a kid and the houses there were new (!!)...want to go back and see the old neighborhood, schools and such there, besides the places in MD (Cambridge, Cornersville, Colton Point, St. Clement's Island).

I'll probably get a motel near/in Fairchester, VA, for a couple of days and can call you/arrange a meeting. Then go on to MD and DC "naked."

Will send you a PM or e-mail (with my contact info) after I post this.

-- John D.

P.S. I'll still get that safe for my car installed...it'll come in handy while I am traveling, even if it won't help me in MD or DC (besides a gun, I will have my $2500 laptop with me and $600 iPAQ Pocket PC...the safe will be REAL handy).

VAopencarry

imported post

I don't know how long it's been since you have been to the eastern shore but you might not recognize it anymore. Heck, Cambridge has a golf resort!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not surprised -- that's "progress" I guess -- but it looks like Colton's Point Marina area and St. Celment's Island (it was called Blackistone Island when I was there) is pretty much the same...we had shorefront property diagonally across from it and an Owens cabin-cruiser with two Johnson 40hp outboards on it...how long ago was THAT? A LONG time!! They're extinct now.

Well, as long at the crabs are still there at low tide in the seaweed to I can wade out in sneakers and shorts to net them...

But back on topic:

I'm looking forward to getting my "1/4" steel plate construction" Model 41216-S (by HanDGUN BOX) car safe...the problem will be finding a place to mount it, out of my reach AND out of the way of cargo I might need to carry back there. But I'm not going to mount it between the two front seats (console area) because it's "within my reach" and I don't feel comfortable, legally-speaking, as that can be interpreted several ways by cops/DAs. I'd prefer it there however even though I'd have to remove the Honda CR-V folding table (2006 models) that's there now..

And, I will leave my usually-carried vehicle toolbox at home so I don't provide tools for someone -- should they break into my car -- to use on the safe. Criminals will have to bring their own tools.

Thanks all,

-- John D.