• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did I just get some incorrect info from a officer?

Useful Idiot

imported post

I was pulled over and got to talking to the officer about his glock and guns in generalafter he saw that I had my CCW and a glock is what I was also carrying. Long story short he stated it was against the law for a person with a CCW permit to carry with one in the chamber!Now as I see it thats the only way to carry and can find no provision in the laws that say anything about the state of readiness of said weapon.

Am I missing something or was this guy just mistaken?

I have sent a message to Scott Rupp about SB-217 when will it be voted on?

bayboy42

imported post

Per usual, I'm 99% sure this LEO fed you a load of poo. I've searched the MSP flyer on the concealed weapons law and the state code and see no mention of any such law. As you poke around these discussion forums, you'll quickly see that the veterans on these subjects strongly recommend never asking LEOs for legal advice and verifying anything they may tell you. Welcome to opencarry.org!!

molonlabetn

imported post

Useful Idiot wrote:
I was pulled over and got to talking to the officer about his glock and guns in generalafter he saw that I had my CCW and a glock is what I was also carrying. Long story short he stated it was against the law for a person with a CCW permit to carry with one in the chamber!Now as I see it thats the only way to carry and can find no provision in the laws that say anything about the state of readiness of said weapon.

Am I missing something or was this guy just mistaken?

I have sent a message to Scott Rupp about SB-217 when will it be voted on?

An LEO with legal advice is about as useful and reliable as advice aboutstarting a fast-food franchise given by a burger-flipper. No insult intended to either profession, but some things are best verified from someone more qualified in a specific subject.

LEOs should know more about the law, but due to the nature of their job, they have other things to worry about than being experts on every aspect of every law (another clue that there are too many laws)... so they operate mostly based on simple guidelines which trickle down from their management, and then let the courts sort out the rest.

In short, yes... he was mistaken. It is possible that he was confused by statutes that prescribe for long-guns (rifles, shotguns) to not be loaded in public or in a vehicle (only a few states are like this, I don't know if yours is...).

molonlabetn

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Like I said, I'm new to the area, and like my handle implies, I carry a 12ga winchester 1300 in the trunk of my car and I have ben in the habit of carrying it with the tub loaded but keeping the chamber M.T only because there isn't a firing pin block,

now I hear you saying I can't do that here in Missouri ????:banghead:

Indeep-Cop

imported post

Hi, I understand that most officers are still trying to pound all of this CCW issue into our heads. It's actually a tough issue.

AS a POLICE officer, I've seen many people "Open Carying" and after 13 years on the force, just keep an eye on them 'till out of sight.

It goes by City and their particular codes.

I would prefer that the public "Conceal" as I' stand in QuickTrip after shift to make that extra $100 cash, I do know that anyone coming in to be a bad guy won't be holstered. I look the other way, but you're being watched.

As far as "Round in the Chamber"?

I don't know the officer you spoke with, BUT what's the use of carrying if you have to take 1.5 seconds to lock & load? As a cop, my service weapon is chambered & on safety. I have been in a few "exchanges", and I DO know that the suspect always shows up ready to go!

That's really all I can advise. I do get questions all of the time. My answer everytime to the public is to simply check your local statutes.

Nothing in any CCW class will tell you that you cannot have 1 in the chamber. Think about those who carry revolvers for instance..............

"Have a nice Day! ;)

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

Indeep-Cop wrote:
Hi, I understand that most officers are still trying to pound all of this CCW issue into our heads. It's actually a tough issue.

AS a POLICE officer, I've seen many people "Open Carying" and after 13 years on the force, just keep an eye on them 'till out of sight.

I would prefer that the public "Conceal" as I' stand in QuickTrip after shift to make that extra $100 cash, I do know that anyone coming in to be a bad guy won't be holstered. I look the other way, but you're being watched.

I don't know the officer you spoke with, BUT what's the use of carrying if you have to take 1.5 seconds to lock & load? As a cop, my service weapon is chambered & on safety. I have been in a few "exchanges", and I DO know that the suspect always shows up ready to go!

That's really all I can advise. I do get questions all of the time. My answer everytime to the public is to simply check your local statutes.

Nothing in any CCW class will tell you that you cannot have 1 in the chamber. Think about those who carry revolvers for instance..............

"Have a nice Day! ;)

Indeep-cop, Are you the officer watching me at the QT off of 435 and 24 in Independence every day when I get my milkshake?? ;)

drur

imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:
Indeep-Cop wrote:

"Have a nice Day! ;)

Indeep-cop, Are you the officer watching me at the QT off of 435 and 24 in Independence every day when I get my milkshake?? ;)
"Watching" an individual who is open carrying is not only ignorant, it is stupid. How many criminals open carry? My guess? ZERO!!

Only sheeple are interested in having folks conceal carry. I guess it makes them "feel" better not to see a weapon open carried. Most LEO's are supportive of the right to carry but the only ones who have EVER said anything to me while open carrying told me it is better to conceal. Where legal, it is MY RIGHT to open carry. Watch me all you want. You won't see anything but a law-abiding citizen.

Indeep-Cop

imported post

Whoa Whoa! No offense!

I didn't mean "I got my eye on you"!

Personally I wish all law abiding citizens wouldOPEN CARRY S&W Model 29 .44 Magnums!

You have to understand, that some people once they wear that weapon think that they're an extension of the police dept. I beleive it would be an even greater deterrentthan the "Who's armed & who's not" curiosity with CCW.

It's when you have 2-4 very young looking persons which MAY fit the descripton of a "situation" enter a store and 1 or more are open carrying, one as a law enforcement officer could feel a bit nervous !

Not the average citizen.

I knew that by coming here and disclosing what I did for a living, that I would be the bad guy. I was just hoping to see what the General public had to wonder or worry about. Such as cases exactly like this..

"To Serve and Protect, NOT Harass!":D

Indeep-Cop

imported post

drur wrote:
mmdkyoung123 wrote:
Indeep-Cop wrote:

"Have a nice Day! ;)

"Watching" an individual who is open carrying is not only ignorant, it is stupid. How many criminals open carry? My guess? ZERO!!

Only sheeple are interested in having folks conceal carry. I guess it makes them "feel" better not to see a weapon open carried. Most LEO's are supportive of the right to carry but the only ones who have EVER said anything to me while open carrying told me it is better to conceal. Where legal, it is MY RIGHT to open carry. Watch me all you want. You won't see anything but a law-abiding citizen.
You are right!

I work a large violent city. And I do see like yourself, normal law abiding citizens enter the store Ocing. No problem to me. BUT you have to understand in my line of work certain stores as QT have been repeatedly robbed serially. My statement "Keeping an eye on someone" meant that when it's 02:00 in the morning I like to know where the guy with the other Glock is, if something DOES happen!

They like to come in in 2-3 at a time to rob these stores. And I'm sure you know that if all hell broke loose that cop in there by himself would be hoping to GOD that you would be ready to well let's just say "Lend a hand"!

That's the beauty of CCW AND O.C.! I'm all for it!

"Have a nice day":D

drur

imported post

No offense taken, although I have never seen anyone besides very responsible people OC'ing.

When I went to the Gun Rights Policy Conference last October, there were many of us OC'ing. While there, I pointed out to my nine year old daughter that someone was OC'ing. Her response?

"So what? It's just a gun. You carry one also."

I was very proud of her at that point.

Indeep-Cop

imported post

Good deal!

Sounds like you have a very smart & open minded little girl! All the best to you & her. At least I/we know that the will be 1 less carjacking in your hood!

Peace!;)

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

Indeep-Cop wrote:
They like to come in in 2-3 at a time to rob these stores. And I'm sure you know that if all hell broke loose that cop in there by himself would be hoping to GOD that you would be ready to well let's just say "Lend a hand"!

Don't worry Indeep,"we got your back"

"Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges" :celebrate

(sorry. It's that twisted military humor comingto the surface again.)

Indeep-Cop

imported post

Very much appreciated. This entire topic is exactly the situation mentioned earlier.

I'm standing in 7-11 or Q.T at 02:00, drinkin my free coffee eating 4 day old d-nuts, and BAM 3 guys walk in demanding "Open the drawer" etc. guess who their first target will be? Not the customer in the rear of the store with his new S&W M&P .45 or Glock23!...............

My Sig is only 8+1, vs. 2-4 guys with possibly AK's or Shotguns?

God I hope an armed citizen will just open fire if I can't any longer. Or even better, just hide and try & wait until the perps exit the store.

My Sig .45 and your Glock may be a tough one to "Slug it out with" heavily armed perps. Just let me take the hit,and you be with your family.

Usually these IDIOTS don't practice anyway,more than likely you & I would walk out.

Because once you discharge that weapon in self defense,it has to be confiscated as well as your CCW for evidence until the mess is sorted out. And no you cannot carry again until you have been found "Justified". Sucks I know. But that's just the way it is............

markaalford

imported post

I am a TV reporter here in Kansas City.

My brother is a gun dealer and CCW instructor in Texas.

I own firearms as well.

would anyone be willing to be profiled in a story I am working on on OC?

Mark Alford

Fox4 News

Indeep-Cop

imported post

Mr. Alford, would you prefer a peace officer or civilian citizen?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Gotta love that a.m. weather girl!

;)

markaalford

imported post

both actually.

I would like to follow a citizen with his OC, while we are taping him. Do an interview.

Also would like to talk with a LEO.

This would probably be the most balanced story you are going to get from the media.

Mark