• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did I just get some incorrect info from a officer?

Mark Jones

imported post

I learned of this site from Nightline, which I was pleased to see the story. I am a retired Missouri police officer with 26 yrs of service. The cop was giving you a line of poo as previously stated by another member. There is nothing in the carry law that states how the weapon should be loaded, etc. Like you a weapon without one chambered is not a weapon it's a brick so just throw it at them.

Mark Jones

ShowMeCarry

imported post

Hey Mark nice to see you. Keep us posted on your story progress.
My wife and I love watching you and Don Harmon in the mornings.

I think most people would be interested to find out they could lawfully openly carry in most of the metro area. I think most people just don't know the laws. I know I didn't.

Back on topic, None of the info I read regarding the laws in MO say you can't carry chambered.
If you cross to Kansas, I believe they require you to transport unloaded unless you have a CCW. However, MO is open carry in vehicles, even without CCW. right.

Diver_59

imported post

Well....My thought is the same ...whats the use to carry a weapon if it cant be ready to be used. I'm sure if I had a gun pulled on me, the other guy isn't gonna let me say "WAIT" I need to load before we go at this! :banghead:

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Looking at this thread I couldn't help but think of all the times I've gotten bad, just plain wrong advice from cops on the subject of guns. There's the Nebraska State trooper who told me back in 1988 that only someone with a concealed carry permit could carry in that State: wrong, there was no provision in the law for such a permit but he insisted there was. Had an Illinois cop tell me the same thing in the early eighties: Illinois still is one of the two states in the nation which has no provision for carry permits.

I had a State Trooper in Missouri tell me in 1998 that not only did my pistol have to be readily visible from at least two directions--true at the time--but it also had to be unloaded with the ammunition secured separately and not readily available--dead wrong. That trooper wasn't the only one to tell me that. I had two other troopers and a village constable repeat that claim. Turned out that the POST training instructors were mixing *advice* and *opinion* with the actual law in such a way that the officers left believing that the law prevented legal loaded open carry.

So, mix deliberately vague antigun training, the culture of many (but by no means all) police regarding a fear of armed citizenry, the general lack of interest in firearms issues among most police officers,and the morphing of urban legend from within the community and police are more often than not less informed regarding firearms laws than most civilian firearms enthusiasts and activists who make a point of researching the subject and being informed.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Looking at this thread I couldn't help but think of all the times I've gotten bad, just plain wrong advice from cops on the subject of guns. There's the Nebraska State trooper who told me back in 1988 that only someone with a concealed carry permit could carry in that State: wrong, there was no provision in the law for such a permit but he insisted there was. Had an Illinois cop tell me the same thing in the early eighties: Illinois still is one of the two states in the nation which has no provision for carry permits.

I had a State Trooper in Missouri tell me in 1998 that not only did my pistol have to be readily visible from at least two directions--true at the time--but it also had to be unloaded with the ammunition secured separately and not readily available--dead wrong. That trooper wasn't the only one to tell me that. I had two other troopers and a village constable repeat that claim. Turned out that the POST training instructors were mixing *advice* and *opinion* with the actual law in such a way that the officers left believing that the law prevented legal loaded open carry.

So, mix deliberately vague antigun training, the culture of many (but by no means all) police regarding a fear of armed citizenry, the general lack of interest in firearms issues among most police officers,and the morphing of urban legend from within the community and police are more often than not less informed regarding firearms laws than most civilian firearms enthusiasts and activists who make a point of researching the subject and being informed.

Richieg150

imported post

Because once you discharge that weapon in self defense,it has to be confiscated as well as your CCW for evidence until the mess is sorted out. And no you cannot carry again until you have been found "Justified". Sucks I know. But that's just the way it is............
Indeep a cop ,they may take my CCW,they cant take my right to carry,open..........its constitutional.

jjtroutbum

imported post

Useful Idiot wrote:
I was pulled over and got to talking to the officer about his glock and guns in generalafter he saw that I had my CCW and a glock is what I was also carrying. Long story short he stated it was against the law for a person with a CCW permit to carry with one in the chamber!Now as I see it thats the only way to carry and can find no provision in the laws that say anything about the state of readiness of said weapon.

Am I missing something or was this guy just mistaken?

I have sent a message to Scott Rupp about SB-217 when will it be voted on?
This cops statement reminded me of something.

DEA Agent Goon says, "I am the only one professional enough in the room to carry one." Then proceeds to shoot Himself in the foot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ufT_6Kgy0

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

gunman wrote:
was stopped by leo the other day while ocing in st joe he just asked for id then let m e go on my way no problems
So, he carries a complete list of every wanted criminal in his head to compare your name against?
You realize, I'm sure, that you had probably had no legal obligation to show him any State Issued Identification, without him having RAS that you had recently committed, were currently committing, or were about to commit a crime.

Police force powers

prophettm

imported post

Indeep-Cop wrote:
Hi, I understand that most officers are still trying to pound all of this CCW issue into our heads. It's actually a tough issue.

AS a POLICE officer, I've seen many people "Open Carying" and after 13 years on the force, just keep an eye on them 'till out of sight.

It goes by City and their particular codes.

I would prefer that the public "Conceal" as I' stand in QuickTrip after shift to make that extra $100 cash, I do know that anyone coming in to be a bad guy won't be holstered. I look the other way, but you're being watched.

As far as "Round in the Chamber"?

I don't know the officer you spoke with, BUT what's the use of carrying if you have to take 1.5 seconds to lock & load? As a cop, my service weapon is chambered & on safety. I have been in a few "exchanges", and I DO know that the suspect always shows up ready to go!

That's really all I can advise. I do get questions all of the time. My answer everytime to the public is to simply check your local statutes.

Nothing in any CCW class will tell you that you cannot have 1 in the chamber. Think about those who carry revolvers for instance..............

"Have a nice Day! ;)

And as previously stated, I prefer to open carry in hopes that I DO NOT have to shoot anyone.. Hopefully anyone looking to rob me will see that I have a pistol on my hip and think twice... Maybe I am retarded, but, I really don't want to have to shoot anyone, I just want to be left alone and safe..

One another note, I will post this in another area also- we were hit by a kid on a go-cart last night, causing damage to our truck.. When the officers showed up (KCPD) I was cornered and asked if I had my CCW on me.. After trying to overtalk the officer, who was beligerent and rude and will have a formal filed on him today- he finally said "Ma'am, please put the firearm in your glovebox".. I said "huh?" and he repeated himself, six times exactly.. I said absolutely not, I was legally carrying and would not break the law and conceal my weapon without a CCW. So, finally, he told me to put it in the seat of the truck or I was going to jail for no CCW.. I partially complied, knowing that this punk could possibly haul me to jail for reaching for my gun, even though he asked me to do so. He instructed my husband to do the same, we complied just to speed up the process. He took my ID and ran me even though I wasn't driving, and let the kid who hit us go, no ticket, nothing, just a warning that he can't drive the go cart on public streets..

After an HOUR of sitting there, he returned and told us both not to open carry. I wrote the web address down for the guy, and he refused it, saying he "knows the laws and you're breaking them" and proceeded to tell me that he could haul me to jail for disturbing the peace because my *holstered and not even cocked* gun was a disruption.. Ya.. whatever :)

So, FYI, KCPD thinks they can pull this BS with you if you OC.. Watch out!!

captainamerica

imported post

This one amazes me. How is a law abiding OC carrying couple any more of a threat to the police just b/c they are victims of a vehicular accident THAT THEY DIDN'T EVEN CAUSE than they were prior to the accident or any other time?

This is LEO arrogance and overstepping if there ever was such a situation.

I am so sick and tired of hearing about LEO demands (and even requests) for otherwise law abiding Americans to disarm for no reason. LAW ABIDING CITIZENS ARE NOT THEIR ENEMIES!!!!!!!!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How could a peice of paper be siezed for evidence? It could no more
show that a crime hasn't occured as one that did.
A photo of a stop sign can't show if you ran it.
The gun I could see maybe being taken, but unless the permit says you may
not fire the gun for any reason, then it could be taken to show you knew not to shoot.

But it would be interesting to see what they would try about the BUG
when they take the fired gun.

Richieg150

imported post

You can carry concealed in your vehicle in Missouri,but when you step out of your vehicle,it must be opencarried,able to be seen from 2 different vantage points,if you dont have a CCW.WhenI ride my bike,I carry my SW99,in my hip holster.My jacket kinda covers the top half of the holster.So,technically,I think it would be carrying open not concealed...............but I prefer that anyway:)