• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grassroots Under Attack!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

To the ramparts, folks!

You may have seen this on other communications channels. I'm postinga link herefor those whomay have missed it elsewhere.

In short,there is a bill in theUS Senate, stalled at the moment, that would expand the definition of"lobbyist" to includegrassroots groups. Virginia Citizens Defense League looks like it would qualify and need to register and providefinancial statements.

Look to your local or national gun rights organizationsfor Action Alerts, or contact your senator and representative. This needs to be stopped right here and right now.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20070118-122242-2071r.htm

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hi, citizen. We can rest easy, now. That part was defeated.

"The Senate last night also voted 55-43 to adopt a Republican amendment that deleted a provision of the ethics bill that would have expanded the definition of lobbyist to include grass-roots organizers, possibly including ministers and neighborhood groups.
Under the legislation, grass-roots organizations that attempt to "influence the general public" to contact members of Congress would have to register as lobbyists and file financial reports -- or face a $200,000 fine.
Democrats had fought unsuccessfully to keep the provision in the bill. "

It is from the 1/19/06 edition of The Washignton Times.On the second page. The vote was taken after your posting, I expect. I've been watching this proposal for some time and thought it was a really bad idea, too.

XD Owner

imported post

See my post here

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1249.html

I suggest all Virginians call Senator Webb's office and tell his poor staffer that you are outraged that Senator Webb tried to muzzle grassroots organizations from exercising theirFirst Amendment rights by making them register as paid lobbyists.

Number to call is 202-224-4024.

And if you like, call Sen. Warner's office and tell him thank you for voting for the Bennett Amendment to strike Sec. 220 of the Legislative Transparency and Accountability Act. 202-224-2023 is his office's number.

Citizens of other states, look up what your Senator did and call accordingly. Ifyour Senator is a Democrat, most of them tried to kill free speech last night.