Thread: Suppressors and Alabama Law?

Post imported post

Does Alabama law allow supressors on weapons?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

What is the status of the research have you done so far on this question?

Post imported post

Well, I have searched www.ago.state.al.usfor my answers, but no luck. I have looked at www.packing.orgas well with no luck. I do not mind finding my own answers to my questions, but I am at a dead-end...

Any help would be great.

Post imported post

Got the answer!!! YES, you can have supressors and AOW in Alabama.

Got my answer from www.impactguns.com forums...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Alabama allows all NFA weapons except short barreled riles (<16") and shotguns (<18")both with an overall lenth of 26"....see Section 13A-11-62 Code of Alabama

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

yeah you got it, its allowed, but its a one time tax you have to pay, and the suppressors are very expensive, hope you have a decent income, cause as cool as it is to have a suppressor its pretty hard hitting on the good ole wallet:?

Post imported post

You can have machine guns with short barrels though.

Post imported post

Suppressors better be allowed in Alabama because there is a Class 3 dealer in Athens, AL who builds them in his shop and sells them in his store.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

Post imported post

Where is the dealer in Athens? I'd like to take a look at what he has. I live about 15 miles from there.

Post imported post

Which is why we need the Alabama gun rights bill passed, then the feds are out
    of the loop for an instate suppressor. Then for less than the tax you can have one
    for your very own.

I would think OSHA would be mandating them on all new firearms to stop hearing
    loss, and noise complaints. It seems to make sense, a quite range has happy neighbors.
    You can shoot home invaders without disturbing your children who have
    school in the morning and need their sleep. See I am thinking of the children,
    they don't have to come out and see all the carnage from the double tap gut wounds,
    and third wouldn't stop removal of frontal lobe that gets all over the walls.

If you put one on the end of a 'short barrel' to bring the length to AL requirements
    are you good to go? I've never heard of a shotgun suppressor myself but should
    work for one shot anyways.

Post imported post

Short barreled rifles and shotguns will be legal July 1st. The bill to legalize them passed... So I don't think you have much to worry about so long as you can wait a month.

Post imported post

Vondelta wrote:
    Where is the dealer in Athens? I'd like to take a look at what he has. I live about 15 miles from there.

His store is on US72 west of the city. If you go west, he is on the left hand side. Just as you're getting out of town you'll pass assorted convenience stores and Dollar General on your right, and there will be a home repair store and truck sales lots on your left. There is also a Fireworks shop on the left. Just a few buildings pass the Fireworks you will see the shop. It's small so don't go fast or you'll miss it. If you go past a church on your left and into a woody residential area, you've gone too far. I'll have to work on getting better directions.

The place is called Precision Defense Systems and it's located west of the last Athens intersection of US72 and Lucas Ferry Road. It's across the street from the Chevron station and is right next to the Fireworks store. Its a little place but you see it easy enough.

They have a small sign up right now advertising ammo for sale (380, 9mm and 45auto). I hope this helps.

Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

Post imported post

MrAwesome wrote:
    Short barreled rifles and shotguns will be legal July 1st. The bill to legalize them passed... So I don't think you have much to worry about so long as you can wait a month.
    Just in time for the July forth drunks to try out their new weapons. Just think
    of all the foot wounds saved with short barrels they will be shooting themselves
    in the knees now.

Just leave it to those crooks to take away another way for me to appose 'The Man'.
    At this rate i'll be a LAC in my old age, and my own worst enemy. There's no
    fun in being just one of the masses.

Post imported post

There is a buddy of mine that is a Class II mfg, he is located in Bessemer. he builds suppressors, his store name is RockCreek gun. The prices are alot better than what you would think, and it is a "One Time" $200 stamp fee. The only problem I have is that I have been waitng nine months on my transfer to come back!

Post imported post

To the best of my knowledge, there is no Law in The Official Code of Alabama 1975 that Illegalizes Suppressors.

Therefore, that which is not prohibited..., is not Illegal.

However, Federal Law does regulate Suppressors.

Then again though, Federal Law does not apply to things which are made in, and stay in, Alabama-as they [the Suppressors]have not moved in or affected Interstate Commerce.

Post imported post

aadvark wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no Law in The Official Code of Alabama 1975 that Illegalizes Suppressors.

Therefore, that which is not prohibited..., is not Illegal.

However, Federal Law does regulate Suppressors.

Then again though, Federal Law does not apply to things which are made in, and stay in, Alabama-as they [the Suppressors]*have not moved in or affected Interstate Commerce.
    :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

But you still have federal tax stamp for them to be legal. unless the state passes a bill excluding them.

Post imported post

Ok heres a question i have...... I have the tools and the training to make my own silencers what are the limitations on that ??

Post imported post

You need to send blue prints in so they can 'approve' your silencer.
    Then after paying the tax, and kissing the locals *ss you can then build it.

I asked how you register one if you make it yourself, as you can't make it till you
    have the tax stamp, but can't get the stamp without the suppressor. Was told
    to use blue print for paperwork. Still looking at having multiple barrel size adapters
    so one unit will work on all guns to save money. Hoping AL passes the buzz off feds
    bill so I don't have to pay for one at all. Of course would have to wade out into the tenn river just to get my states coverage to 100%.

Of course the idea of submitting the plans to the feds for my big multi barrel model
    has some merit thinking about the OMG they will be feeling back in washington.