• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What constitutes drawing a weapon on somebody?

mercutio545

imported post

I always thought that they had to be visibly holding a firearm/dangerous weapon that could endanger your life, but isn't there some law in Florida that says you can do it if you feel "threatened" in any way? Just another one of those "just in case "questions. I was at a stoplight a few days ago and I saw an altercation between two cars, and one man from a car stepped out and started banging on the other vehicles windshield. I don't think that this would constitute the other person to draw on him, but it made me wonder. Always trying to abide by the law, but its a little vague sometimes so it's good to know.

Leader

imported post

What constitutes drawing a weapon on somebody?

Grasping the wepon in your hand & clearing the holster.

I think what you are asking is what *Justifies* drawing on someone.

That would change depending on what state you happen to be in. Here in MI we now can use deadly force if a reasonable man would feel threatened with all the usual stuff........

Banging on my window at a traffic light??? I don't think so but when it broke..... Look out. Shooting someone is still the LAST resort but if I thought I needed to... I wouldn't be worried about if someone else thought it was legal.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

What justifies a drawdown will vary from State to State--- and might even be different at the county or locality level as well.

Here in California, a reasonable person in fear of death or great bodily injuryfor themselves or othersis justified in using lethal force.

Yourscenario thoughis a bit muddier. Getting involved in defending someone else is a dicey situation as you do not know the totality of the circumstances- including the relationship of an apparent assailant and victim. You dont know if it is a policeman and suspect... Orwhether the assailant is violently drunken or justautistic, retarded, or a diabetic in the midst ofa crash. (Of note, a few years ago a autistic kid was tackled and injured after he was unresponsive to police orders- they were investigating a prowler and assumed the teen was their suspect. This could have easily been such a lethal force situation. If the police cant tell- regular Joe's probably wont either.)

In any case, even being armed as I am, Im in no hurry to go galloping to a stranger's defense unless it is demonstrated that immediate action must be taken.

Jackal

imported post

I think that you guys are forgetting that you don't have to draw anything to stop the situation from escalating. First off, you know that you have a gun so you can grow your balls a little bigger than normal because you are protected. Tell the guy to stop and move on. If he takes a step towards you, you are more than justified to draw. If he continues, pull up your jacket(or whatever) and expose your peice and resubmit your order. I'm sure that they scumbag will move on.

Before you guys start in on me, yes I know that exposing your piece in a "menacing or intimidating manner" is against the law, but so is shooting someone dead. You can break the law in these regaurds if you are justified and if scumbagly is banging on someones window and manking threats you are well within your rights. If you were to be arrested for that I'd say bring it on. I'm an eloquent speaker and I will get a "not guilty" vote any day, then a few thousand from my lawsuit.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Jackal wrote:
I think that you guys are forgetting that you don't have to draw anything to stop the situation from escalating. First off, you know that you have a gun so you can grow your balls a little bigger than normal because you are protected. Tell the guy to stop and move on. If he takes a step towards you, you are more than justified to draw. If he continues, pull up your jacket(or whatever) and expose your peice and resubmit your order. I'm sure that they scumbag will move on.

Before you guys start in on me, yes I know that exposing your piece in a "menacing or intimidating manner" is against the law, but so is shooting someone dead. You can break the law in these regaurds if you are justified and if scumbagly is banging on someones window and manking threats you are well within your rights. If you were to be arrested for that I'd say bring it on. I'm an eloquent speaker and I will get a "not guilty" vote any day, then a few thousand from my lawsuit.

Mr. Eloquent Speaker,

Would you please say that again so that it makes sense?

LoveMyCountry

P.S. Spellcheck can be your friend. :p

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

You can break the law in these regaurds if you are justified
Sorry man, but you're pretty much wrong. You are only legally justified in taking someone else's life in self defense because it is outlined in the law, and distinctly separated from murder. Now I'm not a lawyer, but I can say with relative confidence that there isn't any law describing the "justifiable use of brandishing a firearm".

If I ever have to draw my weapon, someone is going to be shot, period. Any verbal warnings will be as I'm drawing my weapon, and unless he completely stops his violent act and runs away before I pull the trigger, he's going down.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lets not forget doing everything possible to de-escalate and/or avoid.

Remember, the rule of thumb is: "imminent and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or gave bodily injury to the innocent."

If you can avoid it by driving away you should.

If you can drive a half block, call the police, and watch the guy from safety until they arrive, great!

The onlytactical situationsI've been able to imagine brandishing beingreasonably legally secureis when I'm outnumbered with badguy contact weapons in view or clear verbal threats made; or a knife inside 21 ft where waiting for the movement to contact would be too late to draw. With me being trapped or retreat not safe in either situation.

Ground Chuk

imported post

DreQo wrote:
You can break the law in these regaurds if you are justified
Sorry man, but you're pretty much wrong. You are only legally justified in taking someone else's life in self defense because it is outlined in the law, and distinctly separated from murder. Now I'm not a lawyer, but I can say with relative confidence that there isn't any law describing the "justifiable use of brandishing a firearm".

If I ever have to draw my weapon, someone is going to be shot, period. Any verbal warnings will be as I'm drawing my weapon, and unless he completely stops his violent act and runs away before I pull the trigger, he's going down.

I didn't realize pulling up a shirt or opening a vest showing one is armed constitutes brandishing. I thought "brandishing" meant it was in one's hand.

Am I wrong on this?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I didn't realize pulling up a shirt or opening a vest showing one is armed constitutes brandishing. I thought "brandishing" meant it was in one's hand.

Am I wrong on this?
I personally don't think that fits the definition of brandishing, however I have heard of people doing just that and being accused ofbrandishing by others, including LEOs. It could also probably be thrown under "going armed to the terror of the people", especially since your purpose in that case would literally be to scare the guy.

I guess the bottom line is presenting a holstered weapon in a threatening manner (situationally justified or not) is not a good tactical decision. When you are concealed, there should be as little time as possible between the assailant realizing you have a weapon, and the point in which you're able to use it. If you "show" them that you have a weapon on your hip, that may immediately trigger a reaction from them to attack you and you may have lost your chance to draw to defend yourself.

If you're carrying openly, the same general theory can be applied. They obviously know you have the gun, andthe secondyou startmoving towards it, they're going to react. So the only time you want to move to your weapon is when you're in the process of drawing to fire, hopefully as quickly as possible.

Opie

imported post

Mercutio545, there was asituation in Kingsport, Tennessee this week that was similar to the one you witnessed. From http://www.tricities.com. By "victim" they mean the gentleman that started the fight and then got shot. Opie

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/search.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2007-05-15-0038.html

Shooting victim charged in argument

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:29 PM

BY Bristol Herald Courier Staff ReportsSend e-mail

Shooting victim charged in argument

KINGSPORT – A middle-of-the-road argument that resulted in a shooting last week has prompted charges against the victim, a Kingsport Police detective said today.

Lawrence Jennings, 46, of 349 Virgil Ave., Kingsport, was charged with vandalism and auto burglary, said Det. David Joe Cole.

Jennings stopped Giles Ferguson’s car in the roadway May 7 so he could talk to Ferguson’s passenger, Hidia Lawson, who is Jennings’ ex-girlfriend, the detective said. Police said Jennings kicked and hit Ferguson’s car, forced his way inside and hit Ferguson in the face.

Ferguson, who has a valid handgun carry permit, pulled out a weapon and shot Jennings. Jennings will be arraigned on the charges Wednesday in Kingsport General Sessions Court.