• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else use open bottom holsters?

badmonkey

imported post

So a friend gave me this holster for my G23, he used it for off duty concealed carry. Just wondering, does anyone else use a holster where the barrel of the gun sticks out like this for OC? Seems like most pictures I have seen here and other places this doesn't seem to be the norm. Any disadvantages to using this type of holster? Or do you all think it would be just fine? Just something different so I thought I would see what other's opinions were.

cd5b.jpg

molonlabetn

imported post

Yes.

I have a Galco Belt-Slide for the 1911... it is very uncomfortable, and creates an un-natural draw motion. Plus, when sitting in a vehicle the muzzle gets buried in the crack where the back-rest meets the seat, not a huge problem, but I found myself cleaning excessive debris out of the end of the barrel due to this. I didn't use the holster for long.

I used my Blackhawk SERPA holster for my 5" XD-45... The muzzle protruded past the bottom of the holster, and created a similar problem as above... plus, the slide would sometimes get pushed out-of-battery. The 4" XD-357 fits much better, and is now what I primarily carry in this holster... The muzzle does not protrude.

A few other holsters which I own are also 'open-bottom', technically, but the muzzle of the gun does not protrude. I have no problems with these.

The holster which you have pictured looks like it will serve just fine, the retention strap will prevent the slide being pushed out of battery, and it is canted enough to allow a good draw from the 4 o'clock position. The only thing which you might find annoying is the 'barrel lint', if you spend much time sitting.

molonlabetn

rabbit994

imported post

My OWB holster is open bottom and it doesn't have any issues. My muzzle comes down about 2 inches below the holster.

badmonkey

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
My OWB holster is open bottom and it doesn't have any issues. My muzzle comes down about 2 inches below the holster.
That's how mine is too. I had a picture in my original post, but I don't seem to see it there anymore! Maybe it's just my computer?

mercutio545

imported post

Yeah my fobus is open bottom. I like it, but dust and dirt get in the barrel after a week or so.

EagleFiveZero

imported post

The Yacqui holster is simple, elegant and effective. It covers the trigger guard but allows for a sidearm of longer length (i.e. full-sized 1911) to be carried in the same holster as a shorter version (i.e. Para Ordnance 'Warthog' .45).

Galco does make an excellent Yacqui holster, and Fobus has too. Another less expensive alternativemight bethe Gould & Goodrich holster. Google search"Yacqui holster" for several good links. I suggest the Gould & Goodrich will probably suit the needs of most of us.

Weapon retention is always a factor. That is covered in my article "The Case for Integrated Training". If you'd like a copy, send me an e-mail at EagleFiveZero@gmail.com and I'll be glad to e-mail it to you.

rabbit994

imported post

I've never had an issue with dirt in the barrel. However, I've switched holsters to something with retention for added protection. My holster is still open bottom but doesn't hand down any more.

Kelly J

imported post

I used a Galco Open ended Holster with an EAA Witness Compact, the rig was comfortable to wear but I had a major problem with it in that the slide was jacked back in a sitting position causing the slide to strip a round from the Magazine, this was a very undesirable situation. No fault of the Holster nor the weapon it was simply a situation that happened to me and I could not stand that at all, as it rendered my weapon into a single shot, not what I thought would be a good self defense mode of fire power in the event I needed, a follow up shot. I sold the weapon and Holster and replaced them with the EAA Witness Elite Match and A Galco Shoulder Rig of the Vertical Style as the Match is a frame similar to a 1911 and is a long slide all is fine now, as soon as I adjust to the extra weight of the weapon and two 15 round back up Magazines.

Tomahawk

imported post

I use an open-ended belt-slide for a compact 1911-shaped pistol, and of all the holsters I've tried, this is the only one that's been comfortable to wear while sitting, standing, driving, OC'ing and CC'ing.

My only gripe is that it's really for CC and has no retention device, but I can live with that, as I usually CC if I'm in a crowded area.

KB3CGS

imported post

I have a Galco Quick Slide and a bunch of Fobus holsters justsitting in the drawer. It works fine, but I have found I prefer a holster that fully covers the trigger guard and full slide/barrel. I am really sold on the Don Hume H721 Double Nine for open carry. It is nice to have the gun protected from the daily carry wear by haveing it fully encased by a holster. I still like my Fobus for CC or competition as long as the slide/barrel does not protrude from the bottom of the holster unless it is my G34 which I use for IDPA.