• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beaverton Replica gun ban meeting

Gray2Hairs

imported post

Holy crap, I just came back from the Beaverton City Council meeting on the proposed replica gun ban.

I went OCing to the meeting. Prior to the meeting I talked to a police officer present and explained that I planned to make a presentation to the council pointing out the absurdity of banning replicas when real guns can be open carried legally.

The officer quietly freaked out. He was very nervous and within a couple of minutes I met all the officers on duty. At one point I had 5-6 officers around me as we discussed the issue of legal open carry. They all believed initially that OC was illegal in public places.

At one point an officer read the ORS166.370 and decided that I could carry but only concealled. I read the section to him and explained the exemption and he realized that OC with a concealled carry permit was indeed legal.

After 15-20 minutes of discussion the officer in charge asked me to not OC. He was really concerned about the reaction of the people in the city council meeting freaking out. I reluctantly agreed and made a disclaimer statement at the beginning of my presentation that basically stated that I was disappointed that I was not able to OC during the presentation and that I had been OCing but now was carrying concealled.

I explained that their toy weapon ban was absurd and that I could OC a real gun but posession of a toy gun would be against the law. I also suggested that the way the proposed law was written that it put police officers in much greater risk because any gun that was orange would be ignored by the police under the proposed ban.

Once I said that I was carrying the mayor and members of the city council stopped listening so I am fairly certain that they did not hear anything I was saying.

The good news is that the police did hear me and one of the city attorneys asked me to call him tomorrow and a high ranking office also asked me to call him tomorrow. The officers got that OC is legal. I mentioned that it would be very beneficial for a training bullentin to be released as it was obviou that they were unaware of the issues.

I gave it a shot, so to speak, and it was really scary for several minutes until the police figured out that I was not a bad guy.

I bet the council still passes the bill though.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Gray2Hairs wrote:
Holy crap, I just came back from the Beaverton City Council meeting on the proposed replica gun ban.

I went OCing to the meeting. Prior to the meeting I talked to a police officer present and explained that I planned to make a presentation to the council pointing out the absurdity of banning replicas when real guns can be open carried legally.

The officer quietly freaked out. He was very nervous and within a couple of minutes I met all the officers on duty. At one point I had 5-6 officers around me as we discussed the issue of legal open carry. They all believed initially that OC was illegal in public places.

At one point an officer read the ORS166.370 and decided that I could carry but only concealled. I read the section to him and explained the exemption and he realized that OC with a concealled carry permit was indeed legal.

After 15-20 minutes of discussion the officer in charge asked me to not OC. He was really concerned about the reaction of the people in the city council meeting freaking out. I reluctantly agreed and made a disclaimer statement at the beginning of my presentation that basically stated that I was disappointed that I was not able to OC during the presentation and that I had been OCing but now was carrying concealled.

I explained that their toy weapon ban was absurd and that I could OC a real gun but posession of a toy gun would be against the law. I also suggested that the way the proposed law was written that it put police officers in much greater risk because any gun that was orange would be ignored by the police under the proposed ban.

Once I said that I was carrying the mayor and members of the city council stopped listening so I am fairly certain that they did not hear anything I was saying.

The good news is that the police did hear me and one of the city attorneys asked me to call him tomorrow and a high ranking office also asked me to call him tomorrow. The officers got that OC is legal. I mentioned that it would be very beneficial for a training bullentin to be released as it was obviou that they were unaware of the issues.

I gave it a shot, so to speak, and it was really scary for several minutes until the police figured out that I was not a bad guy.

I bet the council still passes the bill though.
I did make the phone call and gave a warning, but apparently it did not filter through to the officers on the ground.

I think you should have OC'd anyway. It doesn't do a bit of good to make the point, however you did the best you could, and you were there, not me.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Apparently this Ordinance Proposal (4423) is in "first reading" at this meeting. It has not passed yet. Next meeting is likely going to be in a few weeks. I will be able to attend this I hope, depending on work schedule.

Gray2Hairs

imported post

I spoke to the city attorney and left a message for the Lieutenant regarding the discussion clarifying the open carry in public place issue. I asked if they would mind if Lonnie contacted them as I was sure he could do a much better job than I at explaining the law and the lawyer agreed and I am waiting for the officer to call me back.

The lawyer brought up the issue of a court in the building as justification for not OCing so that will be a conversation topic. I would also scout the council chambers before the next meeting to make sure they have not posted a "no guns allowed" sign or something to prohibit carry in the city council meetings. I will be there next month as well and will attempte to OC at that time during the meeting. I sure hope others will join me as I expect it to be a rather interesting confrontation unless Lonnie and find some form of intelligent life in the police and city government.

Lonnie, I will send you the contact info directly. Thanks Lonnie for helping me with information and support that allowed me to be there. I am still a bit timid about OC but I have been actively OCing everywhere except while at work and there I carry concealled.

This is a real adventure for sure :)