• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc in a vehicle

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

According to this site. OC is fully preemted and legal on foot or in a vehicle. Where in the vehicle is not relevent as long as the firearm is not concealed. Some older local ordinances may have been grandfatherd so you might have to check some locals.

badmonkey

imported post

As long as the gun is plainly visible then it is OC. Long guns are not included in this, as well as all guns "designed for hunting". This would mean if you have a 6 inch barreled .44 magnum with a scope, you better not open carry it. (There is s WV Supreme Court ruling on this, I can't remember where I saw it though.) I just lay it on the passenger's seat, it is in plain view and it is easy to keep my hands away from if I am stopped. I've even thought about putting velcro on the dash and on a cheap holster so I can stick it to the dash. Also, WV is fully preempted but Jim Mullins from the WVCDL said in an email to me that Charleston and Dunbar have grandfathered ordiniances. This is hearsay to me as I have not seen the preemtion date or grandfathering date. I am trying to track it down, but I don't have alot of time to mess with it right now (college haha).

Agent6-3/8

imported post

He's the way my grandadwho retired asDistrict Sgt.with the WVSP, put it. "Just put it up on the dash for for God and all the troopers to see."

While we're talking about carry in a vehicle...I'm currently barrowing my other grandad's Volvo and its got a nice little mappocket on the front of the drivers seat. Its the perfect place to stick a snubby .38 because you can just reach down and put your hand on the gun without notice. You couls really ruin a carjackers day with this setup. However, is it legal to carry in this position?

badmonkey

imported post

Can you see it from outside the vehicle? Like if you were an LEO looking in the window? It has to be plainly visible, so in this case, probably not legal without a CWP. If it is "hidden from common observation" then it is concealed. If the officer does not see it then spots it later on, he probably has grounds to say it was concealed, since it was not in "common observation". Just because it can be "seen" doesn't necessarily make it unconcealed. Play it safe, make it obvious (unless you have a CWP, in which case you're covered either way. And remember if you are stopped to keep your hands on the wheel and do not take them off until the officer asks for your licence+registration. You could even be ordered out of the vehicle, which is not unlawful because it is for the officer's (and your) safety.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
edit to add:
Perhaps you could post a picture of this map pocket so we can tell exactally what you're talking about.

bayboy42

imported post

My buddy drives a Volvo with a similar map pocket to the one in question. I can emphatically say that keeping a gun in this pocket would lead to concealed weapons charges lacking a valid CWP.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Don't worry guys, I havea CHP, so thats not a concern. Yes, it would definitely be concealed in the pocket.

I've found that drawing from concealment or drawing period for all thats worth,while in a car is real tough. Doing it without being obvious is impossible.This little pocket is an A#1 place toput your gun while driving. Concealed from view, secure,and highy accessible.

Badmonkey, don't worry, I know the routine of what to do when stopped. Growning up asthe grandson of a State Trooper its one of things you don't miss.;)Accoding to him none of us (kids and grandkids)know how to drive or "where the break pedal is." Sometimes I'll point out an expired inspection sticker on a pasing car just to beat him at his own game.:lol:

badmonkey

imported post

Well if you have a valid CHP then you can stash the gun wherever you want. I agree if it would make it easier to get to while driving and less obvious then I would def put it there. I wish I could do that, but for me it's OC for now. (Not being 21 sucks! Stupid laws!) But I just OC whenever I want to carry. You outta OC if you come to the meeting Saturday, if I'm there, I will be OC'ing for sure.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

I would, but my onlyOC rig is the one I use hikingand its a wee bit big. Itan S&W N-frame in a full flap holster on a Filson bridle leather belt.

Walter45Auto

imported post

So does my 7 & 1/2 inch barreled Ruger Redhawk withouta scopecount as "guns configured for hunting??"

Tomahawk

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Hmm, what about out near the Brandywine range, off 33 West, from Virginia?

Anyone know the specifics of that?

I've been to that range before; can't remember if it's on VA or West VA side of the line.

IF it's in VA, it's in GW Natl. Forest, which is run by DGIF, and therefore you cannot carry open until you are actually at the range. DGIF land is CC w/permit only.

Stupid rule, VCDL is working on it last time I heard. Before I knew about it, I carried open in GWNF for years because it's comfortable when hiking and camping and I didn't know any better. I doubt they even care as long as it's obvious you're not hunting, and besides, I've never seen a ranger in GWNF, ever. Still, the law is the law, so better safe than convicted or fined.

hirundo82

imported post

AbNo wrote:

That is where I shoot when I am visiting my parents in Harrisonburg. I have to OC there since my Texas CHL isn't honored by West Virginia.

So far as I can tell, OCing in a National Forest in West Virginia isn't a problem. I just don't stop once I reach National Forest land until I reach the WV borde. If I had to get out of the car in the National Forest on the VA side of the line I seriously doubt OC would be an issue, but I would probably conceal just to be perfectly legal.

AbNo

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

That is where I shoot when I am visiting my parents in Harrisonburg. I have to OC there since my Texas CHL isn't honored by West Virginia.

So far as I can tell, OCing in a National Forest in West Virginia isn't a problem. I just don't stop once I reach National Forest land until I reach the WV borde. If I had to get out of the car in the National Forest on the VA side of the line I seriously doubt OC would be an issue, but I would probably conceal just to be perfectly legal.

Oh yeah? Let me know when you are back in town. I'll show you where Hite Hollow is. It takes about 5 minutes more to get there, but it is a less hilly drive, and there's a roof and seats on the pistol side of the range. :cool: