• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

habeas corpus is not a right

Tomahawk

imported post

He's a great attorney general, especially if you're the power-mongering politician he happens to work for.

EDIT: for a non-sarcastic answer to your question, he is attorney general because Bush likes his attitude and Congress rubber-stamped his appointment in order to not rock the boat. None of those people in DC have your rights or interests in mind.

Brigdh

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
He's a great attorney general, especially if you're the power-mongering politician he happens to work for.

EDIT: for a non-sarcastic answer to your question, he is attorney general because Bush likes his attitude and Congress rubber-stamped his appointment in order to not rock the boat. None of those people in DC have your rights or interests in mind.
Have you seen the transcripts though? Congressmen were puzzeled by his logic. I guess gun ownership is not a right, as well

Tomahawk

imported post

Brigdh wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Have you seen the transcripts though? Congressmen were puzzeled by his logic. I guess gun ownership is not a right, as well

Correct. Nothing in the Bill of Rights is a right according to Gonzales, because those ammendments merely protect the rights, not bestow them upon you. So, it says "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed", but it doesn't say "every person has the right to keep and bear arms". So Gonzales can ignore the right to keep and bear arms with immunity, because you can't infringe something that doesn't exist.

It's brilliant, when you think about it! Once the statists (including Spectre) catch on to this, they can ignore ALL our rights at will, and feel good about it.

It reminds me of R.H. Heinlein in Starship Troopers, in which one character explains that you have no right to anything unless you can take that right by force. For instance, a drowning man alone in the sea hasno right to live unless he learns to swim and survive. It's the "state of nature", dog eat dog.

We Americans tried to provide a safety net for that by writing a BOR which protects you from artificial (man-made)infringement of rights using a system of laws and courts.

Gonzo and gang are destroying that system and returning us to the might-makes-right bad old days. As it stands now, your only means of exercising your right to keep and bear machine guns without permission is to be an outlaw. Thanks to Gonzo et al that outlaw mentality will apply to most or all of our rights, including the right to not be put in jail by the boss for no reason whatever.

Brigdh

imported post

I cannot wait for the end of this administration in hopes that I make the next one be more sensable

Tomahawk

imported post

I am not holding out any hope for that.

The only thing you can say is that in a democracy the masses get the government they deserve. So, if Hillary gets the job, we collectively "deserve" her. Individually we are hosed, I'm afraid.

But our successes at the state level could filter upward sooner or later, who knows. Optimism may be stupid, but it makes it easier to sleep at night.