• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In Spokane

darkproximity

imported post

I am about to purchase my first pistol, and i live in Spokane. I'm not sure whether or not i would be hassled if i did happen to open carry. I have applied for my Concealed Pistol Licence and should have it within a month. I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences or stories to share about OC'ing in Spokane. I spoke to the Mall Security at Northtown Mall about their policy, It seemed as though the Security Guard had in his mind that its illegal to open carry at all. Their stance is, if they see someone open carrying they will ask them to conceal, or ask them to put it in their vehicle. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

FN-P9

imported post

Sorry to say that I have never OC'ed but I routinely CC. I also live in Spokane and my GF works late in north town mall and I need to get her a purse pistol. I have been reading this forum tonight and It has inspired my to OC. I can update after. Just remember that if a mall security were to ask you to leave you must do so. If you ignore that you would then be trespassing since they have the permission to boot anyone out of the mall they want.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Darkproximity,

You could get hassled for being white, black, male or female. Please don't let the fear of what someone may do keep you from expressing your constitutional rights.

Know the law, your rights AND the property owner's rights. Malls usually can say what you are allowed to do on their property.

You will most likely find it easier to start with concealed carry. I carried concealed for years before I (1) found out that I could carry openly, and (2) got tired of trying to conceal my new full size 1911.

If you are ever heading towards Sandpoint, give me a shout and we can get together for some paper punching and pop can hunting.:D

LoveMyCountry

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Dark,

I have some files to share with you. It's a training bulletin from Spokane County Sheriffs in 1996 that states that open carry is legal without a license on foot. It does say "Spokane City makes it illegal to open carry without a CPL" or something along those lines, but that's because of a law that got repealed in 1997.

-Lonnie

G27

imported post

I'm very excited to see this flux of Eastern Washington carries. It seems like this whole open carry project was just retricted to the westeren part of the state which you would think would be the hardest! I am just glad that we are getting more and more members so we can blanket as much as the Northwest as possible. :)

surfj9009

imported post

Yeah me too. I really have seen lately that Spokane is way behind the law on this. The western side is way ahead of us on this......

AND THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE.

fetch

imported post

glock37,
I will not berate you, but Spokane is a good place to make a stand. Depending on who you talk to it is the second or third largest city in Washington.

darkproximity,
All of the malls around Spokane, Spokane Valley havea no guns policy. Remember the malls are privately owned, I believe the northtown mall is owned by a California company. You will get stopped by the Spokane PD.

Spokane is behind on alot of issues. I don't want my guns confiscated during an "emergency", I want to change the municiple code. I don't want to be stopped on the street because I have a sidearm. As far as I am concerned Mayor Verner is a wet noodle, we must go to the city council to get the codes changed/removed. We can do it if we get together.

surfj9009

imported post

fetch wrote:
Spokane is behind on alot of issues. I don't want my guns confiscated during an "emergency", I want to change the municiple code. I don't want to be stopped on the street because I have a sidearm. As far as I am concerned Mayor Verner is a wet noodle, we must go to the city council to get the codes changed/removed. We can do it if we get together.

I am with you. Sounds like we need to get some folks together and go to a city council meeting. since the civil division of the city attorneys office is present at all meetings, the issue of changing the code due to state preemption could be discussed, as well as developing a training directive regarding open carry. I believe this would be covered by the civil division as well.

http://www.spokanecity.org/government/legal/civil/

Dave The Welder

imported post

There are two OCers in Pullman and one more in the Tri-Cities that frequent this board often. We should set up a time to meet up for a day after the snow clears and we'll come up and OC with you. There is safety in numbers. If anybody is worried about the Spokane PD reaction a group might be the way to do it. They'll have a harder time pushing us around that way should a situation arise and we'll have a great time meeting other responsible citizens.
G27, don't forget to hit me up next time you're in Pullman.

HOLYROLLER

imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
There are two OCers in Pullman and one more in the Tri-Cities that frequent this board often. We should set up a time to meet up for a day after the snow clears and we'll come up and OC with you. There is safety in numbers. If anybody is worried about the Spokane PD reaction a group might be the way to do it. They'll have a harder time pushing us around that way should a situation arise and we'll have a great time meeting other responsible citizens.
G27, don't forget to hit me up next time you're in Pullman.

Been waiting for a meet on the eastside, I'm im.

Keep the updates coming guys.:cool: