• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel guns

gbentzen8

imported post

I have often taken a singlegun while traveling via air (yes,I properly declare the piece). Also, this is the first time since 9/11 that I've been able to be sure my luggage would be locked for the entire trip. I used a TSA approved combo lock (TSA has a master key) that I bought at the Wal for about $8.

Recently I drove my sons car to him where he's stationed at NAS Pensacola and I flew back. My Va and Fl carry permits covered me everywhere except South Caro. (thankfully this site had info on proper open carry in a vehicle).

Because I was driving I chose to take two firearms, but due to the fact that I was flying back I went to my normal "inexpensive if it gets lost or stolen luggage approach". So I took my never malfunctionsAMT Backup .380 DAO ($200 in 1994) and my $125 .22lr NAA mini. The two guns offered me different carry options, but also a primary and a backup (yes, I know those aren't .45's).

Carrying two guns concealedin other states raised questions in this aging mind. Was it legal to carry two weapons in No. Caro., Georgia and Florida? Is it legal in Virginia?

My normal carry weapons are a KelTec P119MM, a .32 Seecamp, a Taurus Model 605 5 shot .357, and a .22magnum NAA mini. No not all at once, but usually two depending on attire, threat assessment, and destination. Hence, my above questions. Any thoughts?

gbentzen8

imported post

Thanks for info. Just looking at my Fairfax County permit with the words "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun". That wording is singular and there are unfriendly prosecuters out there. That is how the thought crossed my mind. Florida permit also uses singular weapon language.

Glad two is okay. I don't trust semi autos completely and the fastest reload is a second gun.

gbentzen8

imported post

I agree. However, if I had to lose one, the lesser powered and much heavier AMT would be my choice, since I got my Seecamp the AMT has backed up so much that it seems to be in storage.Also, I find the AMT more concealable then the P11, which for some reason appeals to me even more out of state. However, your point is well taken and in the future I may switch to the 9mm for travel.

ProguninTN

imported post

gbentzen8 wrote:
Florida permit also uses singular weapon language.

That can be confusing. Here in TN, we have a "Handgun Carry Permit". The reason for the wording here can described by the following:

1. The legislature did want to criminalize open carry by calling it a "Concealed" permit.

2. Unlike FL or KY, our permit is valid for handguns only. Other weapons such as impact weapons and stun devices require separate licenses/certifications.

Despite the above, one may carry as many handguns as he/she can while in TN. Although, your concern is valid. Some states do enumerate which and how many weapons one may carry. Therefore, good question on your part.

ProguninTN