• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TCDL...is it still alive or what?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

why not just check their web site? that would seemthe placewhere most of the action should be.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

ilbob,

I already did that....there IS no "action" there. Zero.

The site seems pretty much dead and no further developed than the last time I was there.

Don't know about others who signed up there, but I haven't been contacted for any help or "mission."

So that's why I asked here.

-- John D.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've tried numerous times to contact the 'leaders' there, all with no response. rumor had it that after organizing the top, there was no ambition to start organizing the movement.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

[align=center]
TCDL_STATE_LOGOsm.jpg
[/align]

Hello everyone. TCDL IS ALIVE! It just suffered some rapid growth pains and had to do some reorganization. DKSuddeth is right. A lot of folks were real gungho in the beginning and I got all kinds of "promises" for help but I guess life gets in the way and things happen. For onereasonor another all but one of the regional directors have resigned or stopped responding to calls and emails. I'm absolutely not blaming anyone or saying that their desires to help were not genuine. The fact of the matter is that this effort is bigger than one or two people. On a leadership level it will take several dedicated members willing to work together and give a lot of their time and effort. It will take all of the members pulling together toward a common goal. This is not going to be an effort that a few can pull off while the rest sit on side line and watch it all happen.

I, too, suffered some personal setbacks toward the end of last year and without a support system in place to back me up things fizzled a little. But I'm now back full force. The one remaining director and I are revamping this thing as we speak.

We still have had a steady stream of new memberships and I feel there is still a strong interest in promoting Open Carry in Texas. At last count we have over 500 members! I am going to put out an appeal to the membership for new regional leaders. I am also in the process of moving back to Texas where I can better communicate with everyone and keep the momentum rolling. I’ve learned that I can’t manage the organization long-distance from the Arizona desert. Our friends at AZCDL told me this and they were right. Lord willing I’ll be back home in February.

I have several good prospects for new regional leaders. I can't over emphasize the seriousness of this movement. If we truly want to accomplish our goals then this has got to become more than just a fun topic to talk about on the gun blogs and Internet forums. This takes ACTION and DEDICATION. And I NEED YOUR HELP! We face even greater challenges now that we've had a power shift in government. We have to be one-minded - not fractional - and we need leaders who are willing to give of themselves to make it happen!

Thank you to everyone for bearing with TCDL while we suffered our first set of growing pains. Please look for updates to the website coming soon and the newsletter.

The official contact email address right now is tcdl@frontiernet.net. When we get settled back in Texas I'll post the new contact info. We will also have a mailing address and a phone number. The official website of the Texas Citizens Defense League is: http://www.txcdl.org.

Please feel free to email me directly with any concerns, suggestions, or ideas you may have. I do welcome your constructive input. I also wish to say thank you to several loyal supporters who have kept in contact with me and have been sympathetic, helpful, and encouraging throughout the past few months.

Keep the faith fellow Texans!

Gary Williams

President Texas Citizens Defense League

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

44Brent wrote:
Here's the contact information for the site owner:

GaryWilliams
510-595-2002
http://whois.domaintools.com/txcdl.org
Congratulations, TXCDL.net is available. How about putting up another web site and starting where Gary left off?

This phone contact info is incorrect. The web address is http://www.txcdl.org and the email address is: tcdl@frontiernet.net

I am in the process of moving and as soon as we get settled I'll have a mailing address and a phone number. We currently have over 500 members and I feel strongly we should be unified and not fractionated. Other states have gotten into trouble when there were several groups all working toward the same goals. It's hard for people (and the legislature) to keep up with who's who. I apologize for the break in correspondence. There were several personal and organizational issues going on. But TCDL is alive and well and back on the radar screen.

Thank you for all your support!

Gary Williams

President TCDL

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Arizonatexan,

Could you use a $$ donation? I could send something 2-1-07.

-- John D.

John, I truly appreciate the offer. Yes we could use some work funds. For the initial membership drive we wanted to generate as much interest and get as many names as possible so we have not been charging a membership fee. VCDL and AZCDL both charge a nominal yearly membership fee. So far all operating expenses have come out of my pocket. Thankfully, it hasn't been too costly yet. The most expensive cost was replacing a computer crash. Other items have been things like business cards, advertisement brochures, telephone calls, the website, travel etc. The biggest expenditure is in time and effort! At one point I was staying up until 2:00 or 3:00 AMevery morning after working a full time job all day and spending most ofevery weekend answering emails and posting responses all over the place. The TCDL bylaws are being written and once the new regional leaders are identified we'll need to elect officers. We will also be incorporating in the near future. I'm afraid we will have to start charging a membership fee soon but I kind-of wanted that to be a board decision. We'll be a non-profit corporation. I guess at this point any donations would be welcome and I can provide a receipt and a statement of how the funds are spent. Thanks again for your kind offer and support!

Gary Williams

President TCDL

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The explanation sounds about like what I might have expected.

Everyone is gung ho about this kind of thing until they get into it and find out just how much effort it takes, and for an indefinite period of time to boot.

Hopefully, people who take on some tasks will not allow themselves to be overloaded and end up getting burned, or burned out. This is a long haul kind of thing, and you have to expect to put in 10-20 hours per week for years to get anything done. Many people want to help but just do not realize the magnitude of the required effort.