• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open/Concealed Carry in a Bowling Alley?

kle

imported post

In Virginia, would a bowling alley--that sells beer for on-premises consumption--be considered a place where concealed-carry is forbidden (but open carry is allowed)?

Coincidentally, I OC'ed at the Bowl America on
[size="-1"]Stonecroft Blvd. in [/size][size="-1"]Chantilly yesterday, after transitioning from CC (tucking in my cover shirt behind my IWB-holstered KelTec P11) before I entered the building and checked the entrances for any posted signs (there weren't any). This was my first time OC'ing. It was very crowded (league night) with lots of kids and their parents (a birthday party). No one seemed to notice (probably helped by my dark clothing), especially when Cosmic Bowling kicked in.

Any feedback would be appreciated--thanks in advance!

-kle
[/size]

D

Desertdoc

imported post

Yes you would have to open carry there just because they sell beer. You will also find that most people dont even notice when you open carry. Im glad to hear that your first time went without problems.

VAopencarry

imported post

kle, Welcome to OCDO!! and to open carrying. As DD stated, most people do not notice. That being said. check some of the threads on this site. It is good to be prepared with answer's when/if people start asking you questions.

kle

imported post

Thanks.

Yes, I was ready with responses (i.e. Q: "you know your gun is showing?" A: "well I can't carry it concealed because they sell alcohol here. But nothing in Virginia law says I can't open-carry where they sell alcohol, therefore it isn't illegal." or Q: "why do you carry a gun?" A: "why do you buckle up when you get in your car?") just in case, but it never came up, even among the two gun-neutral friends I was with. This was also the first time I've open-carried in the presence of my friends, and while I think they know I have a CHP, I don't think they know I carry all the time now.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kle,

Here is the link to theapplicable law:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Scroll down the page to:

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

When you follow the link to the definition of a club, you find characteristics that could be construed to include a bowling alley, the connection possibly being bowling leagues. You also find characteristicsthat would seem to implicity excludea bowling alley. Based on the lack of legal knowledge of some police I've personally met, Imyself wouldn't push the issue of whether a bowling alley fits the definition of a club. My suggestion would be to just OC.

Some bowling alleys I've visited had a snack/dining area. I don't know where the law would say the "restaurant" stops and the bowling alley starts.

Does anybody know of any case law or statute that might clarify this further?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I found the clarification.

In my last post, follow the link for definitions. Scroll down to the definition of a "restaurant."

It would seem that "club" doesn't even need to be considered.

kle

imported post

From http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+4.1-100 --

"Restaurant" means, for a beer, or wine and beer license, any establishment provided with special space and accommodation, where, in consideration of payment, meals or other foods prepared on the premises are regularly sold.
Ah, I see. Therefore, a bowling alley that sells beer would fit the definition of "restaurant", therefore open-carry would be the way to go.

Thank you, Citizen.

VAopencarry

imported post

kle, May I humbly suggest a different approach than this
Q: "why do you carry a gun?" A: "why do you buckle up when you get in your car?

The seat belt analogy is a good one but phrased like this makes you sound like a smart ass or hostile. A: The same reason I wear a seatbelt. A: It's unlikely I will be in a traffic accident of such severity that a seat belt will be needed to save me from serious bodily injury or death, but I wear one everytime I get in my vehicle. It's unlikely I will have to defend my life with deadly force but I'd rather be safe and be ready.

Educate and promote a positive image of gun owner's, right?:D

kle

imported post

A: The same reason I wear a seatbelt. A: It's unlikely I will be in a traffic accident of such severity that a seat belt will be needed to save me from serious bodily injury or death, but I wear one everytime I get in my vehicle. It's unlikely I will have to defend my life with deadly force but I'd rather be safe and be ready.

I like your answer better, with follow-up and explanation. I must be prepared to defend myself with words as well as with force (deadly or otherwise).

Thank you, VAopencarry.