• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SENATE VERSION OF NATIONAL RIGHT-TO-CARRY BILL INTRODUCED

expvideo

imported post

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=251264
I'm not the best at writing and I'm no poet, but here's the letter I wrote, just as an example:
Congressman (/senator),
I am writing to ask that you please support H.R. 226 (/S388). It is a proposal to allow the descrete carry of pistols in any state, so long as one has a license to carry one in their own state (essentially the same as how I can use my driver's license in any state).
This bill makes sense, as instead of having to go through loads of paperwork and obtaining "guest permits" months in advance for each individual state, one could simply get a permit from their own state.
The oposition to this bill would be to suggest that each state has slightly different gun laws, but that is hardly important, when compared to the fact that each state also has different driving laws. It is not the state's responsibility to educate those that would carry a weapon, it is the individuals responsibility, and there are plenty of resources, such as www.packing.org (an extensive website dedicated to educating those of us that carry weapons on how to follow state-specific laws).
I think this bill makes sense, and clears up a pointless hassle for everyone. Much as former law enforcement officers are allowed to do the same, it would be a great step forward for individual civil rights to allow this bill to become law.
Also, FBI background checks and fingerprinting are already required to obtain a license, so our state wouldn't have to worry about criminals from other states being licensed. It would make the training for law enforcement easier as well, since they wouldn't have to find out if the person was from one of the "ok" states.
Please consider this bill. It isn't pro-gun or anti-gun, and it isn't asking to arm teachers or pilots. It is only asking that the licensing process be more seamless, and that it is easier for the law-abiding people to obey the laws.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration in this matter.

Aaron Lynch
Please everyone email/call/snail mail your senator/congressman!

kparker

imported post

You really want me to write Sens. Murray and Cantwell about this???

I have a concrete retaining wall right outside my door here--how about if I go bash my head against it a couple of times, instead?
:banghead:

norahc

imported post

kparker wrote:
You really want me to write Sens. Murray and Cantwell about this???

I have a concrete retaining wall right outside my door here--how about if I go bash my head against it a couple of times, instead?

<<< Waiting in line for my turn

44Brent

imported post

Yes, I think it would be appropriate to send messages to Senators Cantwell and Murray. If I can spend 15 minutes to send them a message you can too.

No one else is responsible for obtaining your rights -- it's up to you to get the job done.

kparker

imported post

44Brent,

Now that I've had my fun with the little animated gif, let me say that of course you're right--we need to let our Congressional folks know what we think, no matter how bad we think they are.

My letters are going off forthwith.

XD Owner

imported post

Hey, remember the Democratic majority in the Senate is 51-49, and one of those Democrat Senators (from South Dakota - Tim Johnson) is not able to vote due to illness last I heard. Also at leasttwo new Senators, Jon Tester of Montana and Jim Webb of Virginia,are allegedlypro-gun rights, so don't think you are banging your head against the wall. Think of this as using a spoon to dig out of prison - it has been done, just takes a lot of fortitude and persistence. I am contacting Senators Warner and Webb today.

Goliath

imported post

XD Owner wrote:
Also at leasttwo new Senators, Jon Tester of Montana and Jim Webb of Virginia,are allegedlypro-gun rights, so don't think you are banging your head against the wall.

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Jim Webb. He is a Demo plain and simple.

Goliath