• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing while hunting

Taclead

imported post

A work discussion revolving aroung hunting and open carring a firearm came up today and I was unable to back up my arguement, mainly that I should be able to OC my defensive handgun while also carrying a rifle/shotgun for hunting.

Does anyone know the rules/regulations concerning this matter?

1) Can I carry a holstered handun while hunting?

2) Can localities have different laws? It seems in some locations I can have a handgun but it must be a revolver only (magnum). In other locations I may not carry with a round in the chamber. And in other locations I cannot even hunt with a sidearm.

I'd like to hear any knowledgable input on this subject.

vt357

imported post

Do you have your CHL? You must have one to carry while hunting in a national forest or in the VA wildlife management areas. But I believe you must conceal while you are there.

The different localities shouldn't have the power to regulate you carrying your sidearm because of state preemption. But they can regulate what you are "hunting with." So perhaps those local laws about revolvers etc are about hunting with your handgun instead of a rifle/shotgun.

I had a debate about it for hunting during bow/muzzleloader season - because you aren't allowed to have a firearm with you, unless you have a CHP.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/general.asp#firearmsarchery

"Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons."

So I may not have answered your question and possibly confused you more. In general, if you have a CHP and conceal then there's nothing stopping you. As far as OC, in my Unprofessional opinion, it seems to be legal during non-archery/muzzleloading seasons and when not in the restricted/concealed-only areas. But you have to be careful because a picky game warden could accuse you of hunting with your handgun that may be against local laws..

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VCDL is trying to get the various gun carry restrictions in state parks and national forests lifted thru AG & GA action both.

DGIF regulations are now in conflict with severalstatutes. It's complicated.