Thread: Old Open Carry movie

Post imported post

Anyone remember the name of the movie about a city or county passing a law that gave all citizen's the right to open carry anywhere in the county, believe it was the whole county.

Think it was made back in the early 70's. A real "B" style movie. I can only remember it tried to show both side of OC. Had some BG's coming into town gonna knock off a convience store, but when the two guys got into the store and seen everyone OCing they bugged out really fast..

It also showed the bad OCer who went out looking for trouble, All I can remember was he had a double shoulder holster with two 357 magums if I remember correctly. Kept standing in front of the mirror acting really macho and kept practiing his double cross draw... then would go out and look for trouble.

Post imported post

Yeah, I recall that. I think it was a made-for-TV movie, with all the attendant schlock that comes with such things. It was 1970s or early '80s, around the time when Quincy was still on the air, and although I was real young and had no real political opinions, I recall that it was pretty anti-gun, since the bad OC'r was portrayed as a borderline psycho and his half of the story was the last word.

Come to think of it, Quincy was a bleeding heart anti himself. I recall the blatant propaganda when paramedics showed up to put a shooting victim in the ambulance and one of them says, "Jesus. When are they gonna do something about guns!" Then halfway throught he show Quincy would go into one of his leftist rants...

Anyway, sorry I can't remember the name of that movie, but you might try surfing imdb.com.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

The movie was called "The Right of the People". The main actor's name is David Ontkean, and it came out in 1986 on TV.

My guess is that it was a hit piece against Florida's shall-issue licensing law. In 1985 and 1986, Florida was on the verge of passing CCW reform and it was getting vetoed by Governor Bob Graham after the democratic majority legislature passed it. So shall-issue CCW was becoming major news in 1985, before Florida crossed the finish line in 1987.

Post imported post

1986! Well, that is later than I remembered. It was a hit piece, all right. Fear your neighbor: carrying a gun makes him turn into a psycho!

Post imported post

I presume this is it ? The Right of the People

ProguninTN

Post imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
    I presume this is it ? The Right of the People

ProguninTN
    Yes

Post imported post

I think you right on this one. Gonna see if it's on dvd and try to view it again.

Post imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
    I think you right on this one. Gonna see if it's on dvd and try to view it again.
    If you can stomach it.

Post imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    Lthrnck wrote:
    If you can stomach it.
    Yeah, really. IIRC, even without the polemic anti-gun message, it was just a bad made-for-TV schlockfest. Bad acting, bad music, etc. Best of luck to you, though!