Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Get Together??????

Post imported post

ok so i'm not so sure if anyone has brought this idea up as of yet...i have noticed alot of folks on the board from the raleigh/durham area and would perhaps like to have a function.....cookout, storytelling session...whatever...just a way to meet and greet with our fellow OCers in our areas and perhaps discuss ways to further the "cause" of the responsible gun owner in our respective areas

Post imported post

oh come on guys i see ya'll looking at it...why not reply....i'll accept a no....just something

Post imported post

I work in the area, but normally head back home to Richmond as soon as my work week is over. However, depending on the schedule, I may be willing to adjust things enough to make it.

Post imported post

I haven't started OCing yet but am game for a get-together - sounds like fun!

Post imported post

We can all walk into the restaraunt with our pistols on our side, boy that would sure make the news, lol!!! How about something more centraly located for us Western folks?

Post imported post

NCHornet wrote:
    We can all walk into the restaraunt with our pistols on our side, boy that would sure make the news, lol!!! How about something more centraly located for us Western folks?
    We just have to make sure beforehand that the restaurant doesn't serve alcohol, otherwise we'll all get a ride "downtown". NC law prohibits any kind of carry into businesses that serve alcohol:

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    (b) This section shall not apply to the following:
    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
    (3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Post imported post

How about Greensboro or Burlington?They're more centrally located for people living in Western NC and Raleigh/Triangle area.

Post imported post

Thanks for suggesting this warrior. I vote for the Greensboro area as well since it is centrally located, unless the vast majority are located in aother area. We whould all post our locations, I'm in Raleigh.

I think once we decide where we would lke to to have it someone should approach the management of the restaurant to inform them of the date and our intentions, and gauge their receptiveness. We want it to be a pleasant amd productive meeting, not a run in with management and possibly the police.

Post imported post

I disagree with approaching management beforehand. We must confirm that they do not serve alcohol, and if we anticipate a large group, a courtesey "heads up" call would be the polite thing to do. However, I would make no mention of our plans to OC. If we ask first, we give them the opportunity to say no to a hypothetical situation. If we show up ready to spend our money, they are less likely to turn away paying customers. It would probably be a good idea to have one or two backup locations in mind, though, just in case they do decide that they don't want our money.

There is always the possibility of a negative reaction, up to and including a chat with LE, especially when entering near-virgin OC territory. Until the area is exposed to a significant number of folks OC'ing, we need to be ultra-aware of our appearance, attitude, actions, etc., to minimize the chances of scaring the locals.

Given enough advance notice, I could probably make Greensboro or Burlington if there is no conflict with my work schedule. I'll be coming from the Raleigh area.

~edited to correct typo~

Post imported post

How does everyone feel about Greensboro or Burlington then? Since I'm in the area, I can check out places to go eat if everyone wants to let me know their ideal price range and what days and times are good for them. I'll definitely check and make sure that they don't sell alcohol....

If everyone was interested...we could all head over to Calibers Shooting Range after we eat for a little plinking. One of the best pistol ranges I've ever been to. http://www.calibers.net/

Post imported post

My work schedule alternates week to week, so depending on which week is decided upon, any day could be good for me. I work night shift, so any time before 11AM or after 4PM should be fine with me. Price range is unimportant - all the places above my price range serve alcohol.

Calibers sounds like a good idea - at least they don't require that you unload your firearm before entering like all of the ranges in Richmond do. The down side is that I can't shoot my primary carry (454 Casull). I guess I'll have to step down to my 10mm if I plan to shoot afterward.

Post imported post

I'd be up for something in the Raleigh area.

Post imported post

I live in Raleigh but I'm OK with trekking to Burlington or Greensboro. I still think if our numbers run 8-10 or more we notify the management ahead of time so we don't have a hassle. Its only common courtesy. What we are doing we already know may cause a problem. It will be a much better representation of OC to the masses if we do this with a welcoming management, rather than like a bunch of gun nuts creating a confrontation. Regardless of the law, perception is what matters in this case, I'm not going to drive 1.5 hours to give OC a bad name.

If there's just 3-5 of us I don't think it really matters much, but close to 10 or more and I just think there is too much chance of a negative outcome. My reason for attending something like this (and I have thought about getting one together locally) is to further the masses exposure to OC in a positive way, not just to hob nob with other gun folk, although that also is a good thing.

Post imported post

Count me in, Greensboro is about an hour+ depending on location. There's lots of places to eat there as well. I agree with a forewarning. Is this going to be open to families? The range sounds like fun. It kills me to pay to shoot as I shoot in my backyard, but it sounds like fun. Got a new P232 to break in. Keep me posted. Here is my email as I don't get on this forum much. I am over a TFL.com quite a bit.

walknmiracle@triad.rr.com

Thanks

Kevin

Post imported post

Sounds like fun; I could probably get some friends to come as well!

Post imported post

So since someone suggested the Greensboro/Burlington area I assumed someone posting here lives there and can work on setting this thing up. If no one is moving on this I can try and set something up in the triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill).

Post imported post

I live in the Greensboro area and can try and set things up, I just need to know how many people are actually going to show up. Next week I'll be on Spring Break, but when I get back I can get working on the details. Like I said though, I need to know that people will show up. Lemme know guys!

P.S. Is everyone ok with visiting Calibers (shooting range) after lunch/dinner? Here's the website http://www.calibers.net

Post imported post

uncgstudent wrote:
    I live in the Greensboro area and can try and set things up, I just need to know how many people are actually going to show up. Next week I'll be on Spring Break, but when I get back I can get working on the details. Like I said though, I need to know that people will show up. Lemme know guys!

P.S. Is everyone ok with visiting Calibers (shooting range) after lunch/dinner? Here's the website http://www.calibers.net
    Well lets agree on a date and then we can see how many can attend. I would like to attend. I guess we're looking at somewhere around the later part of March. Saturday or Sunday would both work for me. I'm thinking lunch would be good if we plan on shooting afterwards. I know some people won't want to use up their whole day though.

I'd like to know a little more about Calibers. Their site didn't mention any kind of qualifications to use their range, such as a test, etc. I'm not going to sit through some 30 minute class to shoot at some range I'll never visit again, so hopefully they don't require that like some of the ranges around here.

One other thing that has come to mind. We should probably discuss a ground rule or two for the get together beforehand. I know I'm probably stating the obvious but its better to be safe than sorry. I would like to see everyone agree that there will be no gun handling while seated at the resaurant. No guns on the table, etc. even if they were brought unloaded. They are worn in holstered and they are left holstered. Its not a good place to show off your new piece, but you can do whatever you want out in the parking lot or in your car as far as I'm concerned. Hope I'm not sounding like an ornery old man but I just thought I'd get that out there.

I hope this comes off it should be a real hoot!

Post imported post

By my understanding, drawing / unholstering your firearm could be construed as 'going to the terror of the public' thus I would assume that keeping weapons holstered is a given. As for dates, any weekend works for me, though saturdays are better than sundays.

Post imported post

Did this ever happen or just die off? I am in Raleigh and would be interested in getting together for an open carry meeting.

Post imported post

I think the problem is that we are far more spread out, and are a smaller group than VA. This makes it alittle more difficult for some of us to make it. If anyone is in the Charlotte area and wants to shoot and have a lunch, we can meet at Firepower in Matthews and then go to to any number of decent places afterward (I would say my treat, but my numbers haven't hit yet ).

Post imported post

I'm (still) game for a meet-up. Maybe lunch?

Relatively new to the area too, and looking for a good range or two in the triangle area...

Post imported post

If someone in the Raleigh area wants to set this up, I am definitely interested in a meeting.

Post imported post

We are a small group and to pull this off we need to be willing to drive a bit. We need to make a showing in several of the major cities. i.e. the Raleigh folks need to be able to drive out to Greensboro to help make a better showing out there, and likewise the folks out west need to be willing to drive a bit to events in Raleigh & Durham.

There are plenty of places around that don't serve alcohol. Golden Corral might be particularly good because, as an open buffet, you're up and walking around a lot and with many people sitting down they are going to see your sidearm and if there's enough of us hopefully we can get people to realize there is no imminent threat, and better still they picked the safest place in town to eat.

Post imported post

I would be willing to drive to Greensboro, with enough ofa notice. Sounds like a great idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast