• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry opportunity at state legislature on February 8th?

bayboy42

imported post

[align=left]"Washington Ceasefire" is offering a free bus trip from Seattle to Olympia. "Washington Ceasefire" apparently is not attempting to verify that everyone who boards their bus shares their viewpoint. If you do not share their viewpoint but wish to take advantage of their free transportation, it is recommended that you:[/align]

• [align=left]Do not engage in a debate with members of "Washington Ceasefire" while riding the bus.[/align]

• [align=left]
    [align=left]Bring your concealed pistol license with you if you are carrying a concealed pistol.[/align][/align]

• [align=left]Do not openly carry a firearm on the bus.[/align]
[align=left]Could be the ultimate statement if opponents managed to arrive early enough to secure the majority of the seats on the bus!!:lol::what:[/align]

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Btw, WashingtonCeasefire.com it appears is not the same as the organization that's organizing to gun control.

I would not open carry to the capitol. The State Patrol has not been educated as to open carry as of yet, and it's the same as the Ceasefire sponsored thing: Open carry=open carry ban.

44Brent

imported post

Lonnie, the underlying assumption to your statement is that Washington Ceasefire is all powerful and can get any legislation passed, which they desire.

Can you explain your theory?

bayboy42

imported post

44 Brent....i think you misunderstood Lonnie's comment....he was simply informing me that Washington Ceasefire is actual the good guys..the ones that "knows that there is no gun show "loophole", but this is only their first step of a multi-step plan to completely ban the sale of ALL private firearms in Washington"

Gray Peterson

imported post

bay,

What he's talking about is my suggestion to not open carry at the Capitol. There's some significant lack of knowledge of open carry's legality there still, and the Democrats have the ability to pass ANYTHING they want, including yet another case and carry law, which may not include a CPL exception like the last time around.

44Brent

imported post

Lonnie, I'm talking about Ceasefire, not the Democrats. Certainly, if all Democrats vote in lockstep that can pass anything they want.

How is it that Ceasefire can get the Democrats to vote in lockstep? If it is true that they have this power, isn't GOAL wasting their time trying to oppose Ceasefire's attempts to close the so-called gun show "loophole"?

kparker

imported post

44Brent,

You're still seeing something in Lonnie's comment that's simply not there.

The comment has two paragraphs.

The first simply points out (though it could maybe have been clearer) that the website WashingtonCeasefire.com doesn't belong to the group "Washington Ceasefire" but rather a pro-gun opponent of Washington Ceasefire.

The second paragraph talks about the State Patrol not being up to speed on the legality of Open Carry.

Where do you get the "all powerful and can get any legislation passed" implication from? I simply don't think it's there.

FWIW, I'm hoping to get to the hearing (but not via the Ceasefire charter, as I'm not in Seattle)

44Brent

imported post

Where do you get the "all powerful and can get any legislation passed" implication from? I simply don't think it's there.

I believe that Washington Ceasefire is NOT all powerful, but Lonnie believes that if Washington Ceasefire wants open carry banned, that it will be banned.

What I am looking for is insight on how Washington Ceasefire can get open carry banned.

Gray Peterson

imported post

Any one else think that Thursday is feeling like an open carry day?

Speaking as the founder of Pacific Northwest Open Carry and probably the trailblazer on this subject (have gotten training bulletins in multiple cities issued in the major metro areas of Washington), I ask that no one open carry to the Capitol.

There are several reasons for this.

About 3 years ago, we had a situation where someone had complained about the Department of General Administration rule against carrying firearms in the capitol. The rule had existed there for years but it only started being an issue when they put in metal detectors. The person who complained was in the right.

As a result, "capitol gun ban" bills started cropping up. They were beaten back and the issue was dropped after a year or two.

Open carrying at the Capitol could spark one of two things: An total carry ban in the capitol (or at a very minimum, an open carry ban in the capitol complex), or a total open carry ban statewide again, just like between 1994 and 1997.

Not only that, Washington State Patrol (the law enforcement agency with authority over the capitol) has NOT been fully training bulletined and educated on the legality of open carry. Considering the recent events of Gregoire being evaced due to firearms being discharged, you can count on WSP cuffing and stuffing you, even if it's completely legal to open carry and you sue them for false arrest later. They don't care, because some of them do truly believe that open carry is illegal due to RCW 9.41.270, which it is not.

Gregoire evacuated after shots fired in neighborhood of her touring

It's also a way for Ceasefire to point the finger at gun owners and say "See, I told you these people are psychos! Pass the gun showl bill! And pass an total open carry ban statewide too while we're at it", and it'll get passed because of the hue and cry over it, and not only would we be screwed over the gun show bill, we will get screwed over for open carry too. Also, the tremendous amount of work I have put into educating the officers of the various jurisdictions in Washington on the legality of open carry will be all for naught.

Open carry needs to be a lot more common in Washington State before entertaining open carry at the Capitol.

-Lonnie Wilson

kparker

imported post

Lonnie,

Thanks for your clear reply.

It does bring up the question, though, of what to expect when attending the hearing, assuming I'm CC-ing. From your comment it appears that no ersatz ban is in effect, is that correct? How are folks manning the metal detectors likely to behave when someone cc-ing presents themself?

I used to go into the GA building frequently due to some software development contracts I had with one of the agencies there, but that was pre-metal detector (and pre my getting my CPL, come to think of it.)

44Brent

imported post

http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=35

"Police Officers, State Senators, Hunters and Shooters Association Members and Community Leaders Urge State Legislature to Close Gun Show Loophole"

The committee will hear testimony in favor of the bill from:

Bob Ricker, executive director, American Hunters and Shooters Association (fake pro-gun ogranization)

Chief Gil Kerlikowske, Seattle Police Department

Chief Roger Baker, Des Moines Police Department

Officer Mike Burris, Auburn Police Department

Garen Wintemute, MD, director, Violence Prevention Research Program, University of California at Davis

Warren Appleton, MD, director of emergency services, Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, WA

Sen. Ginny Burdick, Beaverton, OR, prime sponsor of that state’s successful loophole-closing legislation (she was defeated after her unsuccessful attempt to get CHL holders banned from carrying on school grounds)

Ralph Fascitelli, President, Washington CeaseFire

possumboy

imported post

44Brent wrote:
http://www.washingtonceasefire.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=35

"Police Officers, State Senators, Hunters and Shooters Association Members and Community Leaders Urge State Legislature to Close Gun Show Loophole"

The committee will hear testimony in favor of the bill from:

Bob Ricker, executive director, American Hunters and Shooters Association (fake pro-gun ogranization)

Chief Gil Kerlikowske, Seattle Police Department

Chief Roger Baker, Des Moines Police Department

Officer Mike Burris, Auburn Police Department

Garen Wintemute, MD, director, Violence Prevention Research Program, University of California at Davis

Warren Appleton, MD, director of emergency services, Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, WA

Sen. Ginny Burdick, Beaverton, OR, prime sponsor of that state’s successful loophole-closing legislation (she was defeated after her unsuccessful attempt to get CHL holders banned from carrying on school grounds)

Ralph Fascitelli, President, Washington CeaseFire
Just where are the shooters and hunters in this list?