• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting from Maryland

hkusp

imported post

Greetings,
Thus far from this site I have found out that to open carry my pistol must be 2 movements away from firing. I'm confused because I have found this Utah law referenced from packing.org and was wondering how it would affect me open carrying while visiting Utah. Also another statuet I read on packing stated only a peace officer or a person licensed to carry is permitted to carry a loaded weapon in an automobile. Is this "journey law" still current? Thanks in advance for the assitance.
-HKUSP

[font="<!--"] 76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.
[/font] [font="<!--"]Amended by Chapter 328, 1990 General Session
[/font]

[line][font="<!--"]Sections in this Chapter|Chapters in this Title|All Titles|Legislative Home Page [/font]
[font="<!--"]Last revised: Monday, December 18, 2006[/font]

mazellan819

imported post

This is from my limited knolege that i have found on this site and PDO. You can open carry an unloaded weapon (ie. No round in the chamber). With an semi-auto you can have a full mag but nothing in the chamber. Revolvers bceome a little bit more tricky. I have read it be anywhere from the next chamber must be clear or the the one underneith the hamer and the next one must be clear.

Now once you enter your car you must either lock up your weapon or put it somewhere in your car that it isnt accesable to you. I know its a dumb law. I keep mine in a hard case with a lock. If you have a cc permit in any other state, Utah will honor those and you would be excempt from all that i mentiond above.

This is my knolege on this i hope it helps.

Maze

hkusp

imported post

This is from my limited knolege that i have found on this site and PDO. You can open carry an unloaded weapon (ie. No round in the chamber). With an semi-auto you can have a full mag but nothing in the chamber. Revolvers bceome a little bit more tricky. I have read it be anywhere from the next chamber must be clear or the the one underneith the hamer and the next one must be clear.

Now once you enter your car you must either lock up your weapon or put it somewhere in your car that it isnt accesable to you. I know its a dumb law. I keep mine in a hard case with a lock. If you have a cc permit in any other state, Utah will honor those and you would be excempt from all that i mentiond above.

Do have any links to a Utah state website that confirms this law.

Thanks,
hksup