• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida OC Proposed to Senator and Rep

lax

imported post

I never liked the "21 years old" limitations. Smacks of punishing the innocent and sounds like the usual anit's claims and logic for denying gun ownership. 18 year olds that volunteer for the services are charged with the responsibility of keeping us free but cannot carry a firearm in some states.Ridiculous.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'd love to know the history of how a RIGHT in Florida (OC) was converted to a PRIVILEGE by changing the state Constitution.

That is how it happened, right?

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BB62 wrote:
I'd love to know the history of how a RIGHT in Florida (OC) was converted to a PRIVILEGE by changing the state Constitution.

Dunno, but if I don't see an OC bill forthcoming soon, I'llbe checking out other states to call home.

flcaptainbill

imported post

Also, instead of doing it petition style, how about linking to a mailto page that would append the signature of the person that signed it. Do we have any web designers on board that would be willing to write the code?

Tried a mailto link. The string of characters for the body of the e-mail was too long.

Got swamped with other things hope to have the petition page set up in a week or so.

Bill R.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Ok, unfortunately I have quite a few issues with the whole situation in Florida. I lived there 13 years and wanted to see open carry pass, but I left before I was 21 years of age.

The first person that you really need to convince to push this bill is Marion Hammer, the Executive Director of Unified Sportsmen of Florida. I'll see if I can contact her.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

BB62 wrote:

This happened many years ago. The language of the Florida State Constitution is similar to Texas in that it (I would say illegitimately) allowed the state to regulate all forms of carry.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey CaptBill, if you're going to use the Texas petition as a guide, be sure to look over it carefully as I do not think the wording regarding printing is needed.

I'm not 100% positive but I don't think there is anything about printing in Fl law, so you may want to leave that out.

flcaptainbill

imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
Hey CaptBill, if you're going to use the Texas petition as a guide, be sure to look over it carefully as I do not think the wording regarding printing is needed.

I'm not 100% positive but I don't think there is anything about printing in Fl law, so you may want to leave that out.

The way I understand it, in Florida you print, you go to jail.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WoW...really?

I never heard that before, wasn't mentioned in my class either, but then they were busy trying to sell us some purse looking thing to carry in...lol

Let me first ask about printing itself my understanding of printing is that say you have the gun in a pocket and it is is obvious it is a gun due to it's outline, this is considered printing...is that correct? or am I way off?

Do you happen to know where in the law regarding concealed carry it talks about printing, a quich glance through the umpteen pages in the booklet which came with the CCW app. and I didn't see anything.

HeWhoShoots

imported post

flcaptainbill wrote:
177 visitors to site but only 38 people signed so far so I guess not that popular or not many Florida members.

Has it been promoted elsewhere? I just happened to stumble upon this forum and this post by accident. There are a couple Florida specific Gun forums I know of that I can post the link in if ya like. I didn't want to promote it if it's just a half hearted effort.

Anything happening with the Unified Sportsmen of Florida or any other org?

flcaptainbill

imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
flcaptainbill wrote:
177 visitors to site but only 38 people signed so far so I guess not that popular or not many Florida members.

Has it been promoted elsewhere? I just happened to stumble upon this forum and this post by accident. There are a couple Florida specific Gun forums I know of that I can post the link in if ya like. I didn't want to promote it if it's just a half hearted effort.

Anything happening with the Unified Sportsmen of Florida or any other org?
Posted on a couple of other forums. Not Florida Specific. I keep meaning to call the Unified Sportsmen of Florida contact but get busy at work and forget.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey flcaptainbill,

Looks like numbers 52 & 53 in the petition are the same person, don't know if you have a way to edit the petition, but you may want to remove double signers.

60 so far...not a lot : (

flcaptainbill

imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
Hey flcaptainbill,

Looks like numbers 52 & 53 in the petition are the same person, don't know if you have a way to edit the petition, but you may want to remove double signers.

60 so far...not a lot : (

Yes I can filter out duplicates but like you said 60 isn't gonna make anyone even look once.

flcaptainbill

imported post

Called The Unified Sportsmen of Florida today. The lady that answered seemed really unconcerned and said that they would probably have no interest in supporting the effort but would pass my information along to the person in charge who will be back in the office next week.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Unified Sportsmen of Florida?

Wasn't Marion Hammer part of/working with that organization?

So US of F doesn't have much interest... I guess they don't believe that gun owners ought to hang together?

flcaptainbill

imported post

I never heard from the USF. I guess that the Unified Sportsmen of Florida don't care about those of us who do not use a gun for sport.