• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H. B. 2564 (WV)

Lew

imported post

I don't know much about law, but I happened across this and it seemed important. Dated 27Jan.

[sup][sub]
A BILL to amend the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, by adding thereto a new article, designated §61-2A-1, §61-2A-2 and §61-2A-3, all relating to the castle doctrine generally; creating a presumption of reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another and granting immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action.
[/sub][/sup]

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Text_HTML/2007_SESSIONS/RS/BILLS/hb2564%20intr.htm

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Thaks for posting.:)

It looks like we've got a good chance of getting a castle doctrine passed here in WV this year. I understand thatit has pretty widespread support in the legislature.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

There are several Castle Doctrine-related bills pending before both houses of the West Virginia Legislature. One of them, SB 197, is sponsored by 31 of the 34 members of the state Senate, including the entire leadership of both parties and the chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

In West Virginia, the law of self-defense exists entirely as a matter of common law. Some of the Castle Doctrine bills seek only to enact statutory language to address the particular aspects of the existing law that do not conform to the Florida Castle Doctrine model while others would codify all the principles of the law of self-defense. As an immediate matter, the effect would be the same. However, the West Virginia Citizens Defense Leaguedoes have a preference for a more detailed bill that would codify all the principles of self-defense and protect them from any possibility of future erosion by the courts. Although we believe that possibility is very unlikely, we would rather be safe than sorry.

TheWVCDL is monitoring all gun-related legislation pending before the West Virginia Legislature and updates our legislative tracking service daily during the legislative session.

Agent6-3/8